Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weeping rad' valve, can I tighten it ?

There is a very slight weepage from one of the c/h radiator valves. It
is from where the copper pipe goes into the base of the valve. There is
a nut there so will a little persuasion with a spanner tighten it just
enough to stop the weep ?
If so, which way does it go - screw down onto the pipe or screw up onto
the valve body ?

Thanks

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Brian wrote :
There is a very slight weepage from one of the c/h radiator valves. It
is from where the copper pipe goes into the base of the valve. There is
a nut there so will a little persuasion with a spanner tighten it just
enough to stop the weep ?

Try turning it a fraction of a turn, perhaps one flat on the nut.
Probably it will work, but not guaranteed.

If so, which way does it go - screw down onto the pipe or screw up onto
the valve body ?

It needs to be tightened onto the valve body. If pipe comes up from
below, turn the nut from the left to the right a little.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Jan 2007 01:31:20 -0800 someone who may be "Brian"
wrote this:-

There is a very slight weepage from one of the c/h radiator valves. It
is from where the copper pipe goes into the base of the valve. There is
a nut there so will a little persuasion with a spanner tighten it just
enough to stop the weep ?

We're not very good at predicting the future.

If you tighten the nut slightly then it will probably make things
better (sometimes after making things seem worse at first), but it
may make things worse. What happens if you tighten the nut depends
on the current condition of the joint, which we don't know.

Since it sounds like you are not very au fait with heating it might
be worth trying to make a temporary repair at this time of the year
and leaving further action until the heating is off and you can cope
more easily if things go wrong. Wrapping the appropriate bits
tightly with PTFE tape would be one way of attempting a temporary
repair.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It needs to be tightened onto the valve body. If pipe comes up from
below, turn the nut from the left to the right a little.

Surely clockwise/counter-clockwise would be better notation that
left/right motion?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Jan 2007 01:31:20 -0800, Brian wrote:

There is a very slight weepage from one of the c/h radiator valves. It
is from where the copper pipe goes into the base of the valve. There is
a nut there so will a little persuasion with a spanner tighten it just
enough to stop the weep ?

It might do, but then again it might make matters worse. If it's microbore,
I wouldn't touch it at all.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking Brian wrote :
There is a very slight weepage from one of the c/h radiator valves.
It is from where the copper pipe goes into the base of the valve.
There is a nut there so will a little persuasion with a spanner
tighten it just enough to stop the weep ?

Try turning it a fraction of a turn, perhaps one flat on the nut.
Probably it will work, but not guaranteed.

If so, which way does it go - screw down onto the pipe or screw up
onto the valve body ?

It needs to be tightened onto the valve body. If pipe comes up from
below, turn the nut from the left to the right a little.

Hold the body of the valve with mole grips or similar to make sure it
doesn't twist when you do the nut up.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank you for all those hints/advice/opinions etc

To elaborate a little further, the pipework is not microbore and YES !
I have been able to turn it a fraction so I will wait and see if that
solves it. If not then I will be calling the local plumber.

Not sure if the comment about who I am was serious or not, but my name
is Brian and this is a genuine post from someone asking for advice. If
I have misunderstood the comment then please accept my apologies.

Thanks

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote :
It needs to be tightened onto the valve body. If pipe comes up from below,
turn the nut from the left to the right a little.

Surely clockwise/counter-clockwise would be better notation that left/right
motion?

Normally yes, but not the way the OP put it. I was trying answer the
question to match the level of the enquiry, leaving out the possibly
confusing terms.

Weeping door D'Olier Home Repair 2 January 14th 07 01:06 PM
Brass Ball Valve,Gas Valve,Needle Valve,Angle Valve Sale on good price valvetom Home Repair 0 November 27th 06 05:48 PM
Valve,butterfly valve,ball valve,check valve,globe valve [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 14th 06 09:23 AM
How to tighten a cistern valve? Kooky45 UK diy 6 June 5th 04 07:42 AM