Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fireplace tiles

I am looking at an alternative to using a metal fire trim to finish the
edge between a fireplace cavity and the front wall of a chimney breast.

Most of the cavity will be formed by a readymade fireback, and the front
wall will be covered with sufficiently rated 'slim' clay bricks.

Instead of covering the edge with metal trim, I'm considering using thin
unglazed ceramic tiles, say 10cm square and 1cm thick, to cover the front
part of the side of the cavity. These would of course be recessed so that
the wall of the cavity remains smooth.

Is it true that most unglazed ceramic tiles, e.g. ones sold for kitchens,
are sufficiently heatproof and fireproof?

Thanks!

Harry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harold Davis wrote in
:

I am looking at an alternative to using a metal fire trim to finish
the edge between a fireplace cavity and the front wall of a chimney
breast.

Most of the cavity will be formed by a readymade fireback, and the
front wall will be covered with sufficiently rated 'slim' clay bricks.

Instead of covering the edge with metal trim, I'm considering using
thin unglazed ceramic tiles, say 10cm square and 1cm thick, to cover
the front part of the side of the cavity. These would of course be
recessed so that the wall of the cavity remains smooth.

Is it true that most unglazed ceramic tiles, e.g. ones sold for
kitchens, are sufficiently heatproof and fireproof?

I should have made it clearer: this is for a solid-fuel fireplace.

Harry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2014 20:34, Harold Davis wrote:

I am looking at an alternative to using a metal fire trim to finish the
edge between a fireplace cavity and the front wall of a chimney breast.

[snip]
Is it true that most unglazed ceramic tiles, e.g. ones sold for kitchens,
are sufficiently heatproof and fireproof?

Probably if porous although you want to make sure they have plenty of
time to dry out completely before you get a really good fire going.

But you might be better off with glazed fireproof tiles facing out at 45
degrees or so if you want something easier to clean. Your choice.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/14 21:27, Martin Brown wrote:
On 17/04/2014 20:34, Harold Davis wrote:

I am looking at an alternative to using a metal fire trim to finish the
edge between a fireplace cavity and the front wall of a chimney breast.

[snip]
Is it true that most unglazed ceramic tiles, e.g. ones sold for kitchens,
are sufficiently heatproof and fireproof?

Probably if porous although you want to make sure they have plenty of
time to dry out completely before you get a really good fire going.

even the glazed ones ain't bad.

unglazed will take near white heat if heated evenly

More than the cement used to stick em will.

But you might be better off with glazed fireproof tiles facing out at 45
degrees or so if you want something easier to clean. Your choice.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

even the glazed ones ain't bad.

unglazed will take near white heat if heated evenly

More than the cement used to stick em will.

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote in
:

Martin Brown wrote in
:

On 17/04/2014 20:34, Harold Davis wrote:

I am looking at an alternative to using a metal fire trim to finish
the edge between a fireplace cavity and the front wall of a chimney
breast.

[snip]
Is it true that most unglazed ceramic tiles, e.g. ones sold for
kitchens, are sufficiently heatproof and fireproof?

Probably if porous although you want to make sure they have plenty of
time to dry out completely before you get a really good fire going.

Thanks for this.

I'm also told by the manufacturer that cutting the fireback in half -
sometimes recommended because the bottom is said to expand faster than
the top when heated - is unnecessary, unless it can't be got into place
otherwise.

Quick followup-question...

OK so I will be using ceramic tiles rather than metal trim to cover the
front part of the side of the fireplace cavity.

Do I need to bother with an expansion gap filled with fire rope? Or is
expansion of the fireback not really an issue here either? Can I just
butt the ceramic tiles to the fireback using fire cement and have done
with it?

Thanks!

Harry