Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Suitable tiles for a fireplace hearth?

Hi all,

Looking at possibly using tiles for a solid fuel fireplace hearth, and
was wondering which (if any) would be suitable?

I assume that they will need to withstand a fair amount of heat so as
not to crack, so are they any hard and fast rules I should follow? The
missus has her eye on some travertine floor tiles at the mo.

Any help appreciated :¬)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Greystoke wrote:
Hi all,

Looking at possibly using tiles for a solid fuel fireplace hearth, and
was wondering which (if any) would be suitable?

I assume that they will need to withstand a fair amount of heat so as
not to crack, so are they any hard and fast rules I should follow? The
missus has her eye on some travertine floor tiles at the mo.

Any help appreciated :¬)

I was advised that any floor tiles were OK, wall tiles WILL crack under
the heat however ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Greystoke wrote:
Hi all,

Looking at possibly using tiles for a solid fuel fireplace hearth, and
was wondering which (if any) would be suitable?

I assume that they will need to withstand a fair amount of heat so as
not to crack, so are they any hard and fast rules I should follow? The
missus has her eye on some travertine floor tiles at the mo.

Any help appreciated :¬)

Mmm. Travertine is probably a nono if you have any chance of red hot
ashes falling on it. You can use it in a surround, but not under the
fire grate. Thats not so much a heat issue, more simply a
staining/abrasive issue. Marble is soft and very prone to acid attack.

I've got quarry tiles. Tough and suit OUR style. Granite is good. Slate
is not I believe - it can crack and split under high temperatures.

Some ceramic tiles are also OK - the sort that are sold for fire use.

The hottest part of the fire by the way is about 3 inches above the
grate at the fire back. I've cracked two cast iron fire backs
already..almost white hot at times.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the advice guys, seems like quarry tiles or getting some
stone cut would be the best option.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mmm. Travertine is probably a nono if you have any chance of red hot
ashes falling on it. You can use it in a surround, but not under the
fire grate. Thats not so much a heat issue, more simply a
staining/abrasive issue. Marble is soft and very prone to acid attack.

Very good point, hadn't thought about the day-to-day practicalities !!

MDF bath panel behind tiles was getting wet - shuould I be worried? David Smithz UK diy 10 August 4th 06 10:01 PM
Repairing a hearth [email protected] UK diy 0 February 14th 06 04:49 PM
Falling Tiles in the bathroom - HELP!!! [email protected] UK diy 11 March 23rd 05 02:23 PM
fireplace hearth lulu UK diy 6 February 28th 05 04:45 PM
Cutting and laying slate tiles for a hearth Gidon UK diy 9 November 4th 03 10:59 PM