Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sound insulation

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
I wanted to reduce the area of wood, so as to have a greater proportion
of the cross-section occupied by rockwool, frames were screwed together
laid flat on the ground and have metal corner plates for a bit of
reinforcement - it wouldn't be enough for a partition wall, but it's
plenty rigid for one running parallel to the real wall.

Rockwool can help with high frequencies and to reduce reflections within
your new structure, but isn't a particularly good attenuator on its own.
Try putting some over your ear to hear the result. It's mass and air
tightness that works best.

--
*The statement above is false

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:18:15 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, May 19, 2014 10:26:55 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

Adam Aglionby wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Semi-detached, noise from neighbours is too much

Mass Loaded Vinyl

phase 1 - removed all backboxes from the party wall, moved

mains/aerial/sat/ethernet/phone sockets into chimney breast, also fitted

three extra mains sockets from the ring while I was at that.

phase 2 - built frame from 38x44 timber

phase 3 - tonight I've fitted the rockwool into frame

http://adslpipe.co.uk/pics/soundproofing1.jpg

That alone has cut a good slice of noise down, mainly the high frequency

TV and chit-chat that were annoyingly noticeable.

Still got to fit the mass loaded vinyl - will need assistance from a

different neighbour to hold it in place while it's stapled (that's why I

changed from metal stud to timber) obviously need that neighbour not to

let-on to the adjoining neighbour what I'm doing or they'll probably

just turn the volume up if they think I'm sound "proof".

And then the plasterboard, so far so good, very hopeful the end result

will be worthwhile (for that room at least).

[sorry about the dingy photo, the camera flash picks up a surprising

amount of floating rockwool particles]

That's a very light frame for soundproofing, hopefully the mlv will make it work ok.

Seems the main advantage of the MLV is that it is heavy but also not rigid.
So probably have the same type of affect as a sand-filled wall.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:

On April 12, 2014 Andy Burns wrote:

Semi-detached, noise from neighbours is too much

Mass Loaded Vinyl

OK the job is done, you may remember I opted for a minimal wooden frame
spaced-off by 10mm from all existing floor/ceiling/walls, 50mm rockwool
slabs, 5mm MLV sheet, acoustic/intumescent mastic all round, resilient
bars with two layers of 15mm soundbloc plasterboard.

And the verdict is ... a success, the room is now getting ready to be
decorated, but I can't keep resisting going in there to hear how quiet
it is. The true test, I suspect, will be tomorrow's foołball.

Actually I'd say of the noticeable effects as each layer was installed,
the MLV had the least effect, seemed to dull things somewhat. I'm
wondering Adam, if you'd actually used it before, or just heard of it
(no regrets in using it, just asking)?

Of course as I suspected, it raises the contrast to the other rooms with
party walls, I might be tempted to do a "light" version at least in the
main bedroom when its turn comes around - maybe 30mm rockwool, 2mm MLV,
two layers of 12mm soundbloc on resilient bars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:34:49 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Adam Aglionby wrote:

[...]

Seen,er, heard MLV in use, not really my area though , but its advantage may have been handling in the application, temporary sound blocking, easier to remove than multiple layers of plasterboard and rockwool or in one case some years ago 7 tonnes of dry sand, didn`t have to have anything to do with removing that after...

Green glue type stuff seems to have following in building recording set ups with multiple layers of plasterboard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:

I understand that getting decent improvement is tricky so not expecting
miracles, but I have to do something. Party wall is a double skin
brick, joists run front/back so no pockets for them penetrating the
wall, while doing other work on the house I've noticed the bricks are
laid frog down, so the wall is effectively an array of air-pockets which
probably doesn't help, wouldn't surprise me if builders had used brick
on edge in various unseen places, or skimped on mortar. I suspect cable
drops for aerial, mains and corresponding back-boxes are in same place
on opposite sides of the wall reducing effective depth in places.

Brother in law had someone in to look at this (neighbours were elderly,
and pretty deaf so telly was on uberload all day...)

Ended up fitting this stuff:

http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/gyproc-soundbloc

The FAQ on that page titled "How would you acoustically upgrade an
existing masonry wall" is probably worth a read.

Was amazingly heavy and was surprisingly effective. YMMV, and I've no idea
of the cost but worth investigating?

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-04-12, Andy Burns wrote:
Semi-detached, noise from neighbours

Neighbours? What is "neighbours"?

I believe it is a TV programme imported from Australia watched mainly
watched by Women* after returning from a shopping spree at Iceland.
It fills the void between then and opening the produce they bought
there to feed their fat offspring when it arrives back from school.

*Why do so many even in their late teens have an arse like an Elephant
now, Genetic mutation to sit on cheap black faux leather sofas without
sinking in ?

G.Harman

Sound insulation David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 20 March 21st 12 08:04 PM
Sound Insulation John Home Repair 14 February 4th 11 03:12 PM
Sound Insulation for my Computer!? marco polo Home Repair 29 January 19th 10 05:44 PM
Sound Insulation Andrew Mawson UK diy 8 November 23rd 05 08:12 AM
Sound insulation Ben Da Menda UK diy 8 November 8th 05 03:28 PM