Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PVC Double-glazed windows draught proofing.

I have some PVC double-glazed windows, one of which is quite large. These
are at times subjected to very strong winds blowing up against them. I have
no problem whatsoever with the integrity of the double glazing itself but do
have with the draught-proofing on the window frame and the outer frame
whereby in strong winds there is a whistling noise and cold draughts are
created. This makes the room temperature drop thereby more or less
nullifying the benefit of the central heating.

It does seem that with the passage of time over several years the rubber
supposed to exclude draughts may have "hardened" and therefore need to be
replaced, a job which would be beyond my capabilities. So, I wonder if
anyone can recommend a company with experience of carrying out work of this
nature. I am situated outside Glasgow near Dumbarton.

Alaric

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 4:45:45 PM UTC+1, Alaric wrote:

I have some PVC double-glazed windows, one of which is quite large. These
are at times subjected to very strong winds blowing up against them. I have
no problem whatsoever with the integrity of the double glazing itself but do
have with the draught-proofing on the window frame and the outer frame
whereby in strong winds there is a whistling noise and cold draughts are
created. This makes the room temperature drop thereby more or less
nullifying the benefit of the central heating.
It does seem that with the passage of time over several years the rubber
supposed to exclude draughts may have "hardened" and therefore need to be
replaced, a job which would be beyond my capabilities. So, I wonder if
anyone can recommend a company with experience of carrying out work of this
nature. I am situated outside Glasgow near Dumbarton.
Alaric

IME it'd be quicker to learn how to replace the strip and do it than sod about with paying someone. And you get a better job at 1/20th the price. That's why we're here.

It might be foam filled plastic film rather than rubber.

NT