Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default heat shrink tubing and hairdryers

Hi all,

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

cheers,

cd
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
Hi all,

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

Cig lighters work on heat shrink:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Apr 2014 22:28:54 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
.. .
Hi all,

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

Cig lighters work on heat shrink:-)

Thank you for that remarkably fast response.
However, I was just wondering, iow, if a 2000 watt hairdryer would be
about right for shrinking toob. Cheers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
Hi all,

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

Cig lighters work on heat shrink:-)

Thank you for that remarkably fast response.
However, I was just wondering, iow, if a 2000 watt hairdryer would be
about right for shrinking toob. Cheers.

If you slowed the fan down so the air got hotter, then yes.

You should get about 1 toob before your hairdryer is a puddle of molten
plastic....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom brought next idea :
Hi all,

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

cheers,

cd

Hair dryers are great for drying hair, without melting your head.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

I use a hairdryer.

You want a cheap one with an underpowered fan, the sort that scorches your scalp if it gets too close.

The high air volume salon style ones are probably useless.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

I hope your hairdryer doesn't get to 125°C which is what it says on my
this 'ere bit of tubing.

Not got a paint-stripping heat gun (as opposed to buying a dedicated
tubing gun)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2014 23:02, Andy Burns wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote:

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

I hope your hairdryer doesn't get to 125°C which is what it says on my
this 'ere bit of tubing.

Not got a paint-stripping heat gun (as opposed to buying a dedicated
tubing gun)?

That's what I use - a paint stripping gun (with a bit of care!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

I hope your hairdryer doesn't get to 125°C which is what it says on my
this 'ere bit of tubing.

Not got a paint-stripping heat gun (as opposed to buying a dedicated
tubing gun)?

That's what I use - a paint stripping gun (with a bit of care!)

I use my Dremel Versatip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/14 22:25, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

ive got a 7 quid heatgun that works or i've used a fag lighter or a
soldering iron

cheers,

cd

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

I hope your hairdryer doesn't get to 125°C which is what it says on my
this 'ere bit of tubing.

Not got a paint-stripping heat gun (as opposed to buying a dedicated
tubing gun)?

That's what I use - a paint stripping gun (with a bit of care!)

I use a gas-powered candle lighter.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GMM
writes
Cursitor Doom wrote:

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

I hope your hairdryer doesn't get to 125°C which is what it says on my
this 'ere bit of tubing.

Not got a paint-stripping heat gun (as opposed to buying a dedicated
tubing gun)?

That's what I use - a paint stripping gun (with a bit of care!)

That's what I use at work.
At home I use a proper Weller heat shrink gun.

Something wrong there!!

Using the correct tool with the correct attachments does a far more
presentable job than bodging it. I have used a gas lighter and will
agree that they do work, as long as you don't set fire to the cable and
don't mind a sooty bit of tubing.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

A hot air paint stripper with a low setting works ok. Bit more bulky than
the correct tool, though. I use my solder re-work hot air system these
days, though.

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:

Hi all,

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

cheers,

cd

Given that LidlAldi sell perfectly usable hot air guns for around GBP8.99
from time to time, I would buy one of those. (I have a proper ?Steinel? hot
air gun and the cheap one still gets an outing from time to time for
heatshrink use etc.).

If you like that sort of thing, Aldi also have packs of heatshrink tubing at
the same time, might be worth picking up...

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 01:05:05 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those

fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to

shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

Not quite sue why a hairdyer uses 2kW of power though you just
massaged it in and rinsed out. B-)

A Hair drier doesn't get hot enough at least not without restricting
the airflow and risking a melt down.

A hot air paint stripper with a low setting works ok.

+1

I have B&D variable one. Even on the low setting you have to make
sure the tube and wires are just where you want them as it shrinks
the tube PDQ. Not easy to start at one end and move along.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

Given that I'm likely to have just soldered the joint I'm covering, I
just lightly rub the soldering iron shaft against it.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Night Tripper wrote:

If you like that sort of thing, Aldi also have packs of heatshrink tubing at
the same time, might be worth picking up...

At various places I've worked heatshrink has always been treated like
gold dust and used very parsimoniously, from the DIY sheds you also get
ridiculously few inches of the stuff for your money, you can get it by
the fathom for under a quid from eBay (this UK seller dispatches quickly).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111307074623

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy

heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of

splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink

that plastic tubing stuff?

I hope your hairdryer doesn't get to 125°C which is what it says on my

this 'ere bit of tubing.

Not got a paint-stripping heat gun (as opposed to buying a dedicated

tubing gun)?

That's what I use - a paint stripping gun (with a bit of care!)

I use my Dremel Versatip.

I've used a hair dryer for small heat shrink, I've used an a soldering iron too a few mins after switching off works OK.

Got one of these for the lab, it's better as the curved nozzel makes the hot air flow around the tube so you have to do a bit less turning or moving the gun which is handy in a small space.
Although I still use a soldering iron as it's there (having just soldered something)and hot and I don't have to walk all the way over to the bench and attempt to find the hot air gun and then the nozzel :-(

the hot air gun I use. ~£27
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equ...Heat-Gun-62473

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well the proper tools often come with tools that fit on the end to kind of
form the right shapes from boots, but if all you are doing is sleeving then
its academic, assuming the heatshrink is of the lower temp type that will
work with a hair dryer. Not all is apparently.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
Hi all,

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

cheers,

cd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2014 22:25, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

I bought 2Kw heat gun from Aldi ... £9.99
having just burnt out wifes hairdrier using it as heat gun.

used it on quite a lot of things ... well worth £9.99

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 17:29:58 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well the proper tools often come with tools that fit on the end to kind
of form the right shapes from boots, but if all you are doing is
sleeving then its academic, assuming the heatshrink is of the lower temp
type that will work with a hair dryer. Not all is apparently.
Brian

The Versatip comes with a little heat shield that goes round the 'back'
of the sleeving. Works a treat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 06:15:37 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

I've used a hair dryer for small heat shrink, I've used an a soldering iron too a few mins after switching off works OK.

Even with my 80W soldering iron fully warmed up, held just a few
milimeters away, it still takes me an age to get the damn stuff to
shrink. Must be one hell of an iron you got there!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
Hi all,

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

cheers,

You can swiftly waft a blowlamp over it.
Very quick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've used a hair dryer for small heat shrink, I've used an a soldering iron too a few mins after switching off works OK.

Even with my 80W soldering iron fully warmed up, held just a few

milimeters away, it still takes me an age to get the damn stuff to

shrink. Must be one hell of an iron you got there!

antex 24V at 25 watt temp controlled worked OK.
If it can melt solder at 220C it can sure shrink HS at as little as 80C.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Apr 2014 06:00:42 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

antex 24V at 25 watt temp controlled worked OK.
If it can melt solder at 220C it can sure shrink HS at as little as 80C.

My shrink stuff must be high-temp, then. :-/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

No I tried it and the air flow is too fast so the air isn't hot enough.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 16:42:36 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

Given that it's cheaper to buy a 2kw hairdyer than one of those fancy
heatgun things, what is the prevaling view about the utility of
splashing out on a dedicated heat gun vs. using a hairdryer to shrink
that plastic tubing stuff?

No I tried it and the air flow is too fast so the air isn't hot enough.

Bill

Someone above suggested a wind-proof cig lighter which I just happened
to have lying around for no good reason, so I'm using that to good
effect on the toobing. :-)

heat shrink bob UK diy 1 June 7th 10 03:18 PM
How to shrink heat shrink tubing? Geoffrey S. Mendelson[_2_] Electronics Repair 69 May 23rd 10 05:36 PM
shrink wrap tubing can handle high heat ? Joseph Electronics Repair 3 December 13th 06 07:21 PM
Where get heat shrink tape in UK? Alix UK diy 52 July 21st 06 09:44 AM
Heat source for heat shrink David Nebenzahl Electronics Repair 21 May 9th 06 02:36 PM