Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default reciprocating saw advice

For an upcoming fence repair/renewal job I am considering purchasing a
powered saw with a blade reach long enough to get between rail and post.
A nail wrench tends to damage otherwise reusable rails.

Lots of choice but what are the important considerations? For the
limited use, I will avoid battery operation.

Good speed control? Build quality? (somebody once gifted me a Skilsaw
circular saw;-(

Are the blade fittings universal?

Is the carbide tipped block blade any good?

Any preferences on blade manufacturer?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 6 April 2014 10:52:58 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
For an upcoming fence repair/renewal job I am considering purchasing a

powered saw with a blade reach long enough to get between rail and post.

how long we talking?

Are the blade fittings universal?

IME yes pretty much. I don't recall ever "going wrong" on this aspect or even having a choice of mounting to ponder...

Any preferences on blade manufacturer?

I got some excellent Bosch demolition blades - (wood & metal) off ebay. they IIRC about 10 inches long, flexible and very good. Tho suspect if you will be doing same sort of cut in same place on blade each time, then they'll wear...

Cheers

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , JimK
writes
On Sunday, 6 April 2014 10:52:58 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
For an upcoming fence repair/renewal job I am considering purchasing a

powered saw with a blade reach long enough to get between rail and post.

how long we talking?

Umm.. these are 5"x3" posts with 3.75" rails with 2 rusted 4" nails
reluctant to pull out. I suppose 2" from the corner to a nail but all
those saws seem to have a foot which would get in the way.

Are the blade fittings universal?

IME yes pretty much. I don't recall ever "going wrong" on this aspect
or even having a choice of mounting to ponder...

Any preferences on blade manufacturer?

I got some excellent Bosch demolition blades - (wood & metal) off ebay.
they IIRC about 10 inches long, flexible and very good. Tho suspect if
you will be doing same sort of cut in same place on blade each time,
then they'll wear...

10 inches would do both nails in one go!
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

For an upcoming fence repair/renewal job I am considering purchasing a
powered saw with a blade reach long enough to get between rail and post.
A nail wrench tends to damage otherwise reusable rails.

Lots of choice but what are the important considerations? For the
limited use, I will avoid battery operation.

I purchased a Makita recip saw when I was fitting my windows, made
chopping the old frames out a breeze, have since used it for cutting a
few 5-6" diameter tree stumps that I couldn't finish off by hand saw,

I wouldn't necessarily rule out battery, it had sufficient grunt that it
was vibrating the whole stump/roots back and forth (and the operator
hanging-on doing the same too!) which helped loosen it for final
removal, though it *is* the tool I possess from the LXT range which
drains batteries fastest, but I have three batteries. They make the same
saw in 230V/110V editions too if you're doing a long fence.

Good speed control?

Excellent, from under 1 stroke/sec (up to nearly 50/sec according to the
plate) if the workpiece needs holding you'll likely need an assistant as
pretty much the saw needs two hands to use, one on the trigger the other
round its throat where it has a decent rubberish grip.

Build quality? (somebody once gifted me a Skilsaw
circular saw;-(

Are the blade fittings universal?

Seem to be.

Is the carbide tipped block blade any good?

Never tried any.

Any preferences on blade manufacturer?

I used toolstation cheapies because they were the longest blades I could
find, when they go blunt they seem to lose all cutting power all at
once, you just realise you're suddenly making no progress at all an the
wood is smoking or steaming rather than getting cut ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 10:52:58 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

For an upcoming fence repair/renewal job I am considering purchasing a
powered saw with a blade reach long enough to get between rail and post.
A nail wrench tends to damage otherwise reusable rails.

You're not bothered about the bits of nail left in the posts? The
bit's in the rail can be punched out. The kerf of the blade will also
damage both the rail and post.

Interesting idea tho'

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Tim Lamb wrote:

For an upcoming fence repair/renewal job I am considering purchasing a
powered saw with a blade reach long enough to get between rail and post.
A nail wrench tends to damage otherwise reusable rails.

Lots of choice but what are the important considerations? For the
limited use, I will avoid battery operation.

Just remember to use a blunt blade if you try to mount a dildo on it
http://www.thebaynet.com/news/index....story_ID/12368

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 10:52:58 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

For an upcoming fence repair/renewal job I am considering purchasing a
powered saw with a blade reach long enough to get between rail and post.
A nail wrench tends to damage otherwise reusable rails.

You're not bothered about the bits of nail left in the posts? The
bit's in the rail can be punched out. The kerf of the blade will also
damage both the rail and post.

Comes out with the fire ash:-)

The posts are scrap.

The second problem is how to pull out the rotted off below ground bit of
post so that I can re-use the post holes.

I envisage something like giant sugar tongs operated by chain from my
forklift. About 60 to do!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2014 10:52, Tim Lamb wrote:
For an upcoming fence repair/renewal job I am considering purchasing a
powered saw with a blade reach long enough to get between rail and post.
A nail wrench tends to damage otherwise reusable rails.

Lots of choice but what are the important considerations? For the
limited use, I will avoid battery operation.

Good speed control? Build quality? (somebody once gifted me a Skilsaw
circular saw;-(

They are not finesse carpentry tools, but do work very well of lots of
awkward (or hostile environment) cutting operations.

Pendulum action is probably worth having for faster cuts. Personally not
so fond of the Bosch body style.

Are the blade fittings universal?

Yup, the better ones are tool less.

Is the carbide tipped block blade any good?

Never tried.

Any preferences on blade manufacturer?

Bosch are good. Silverline green wood ones are good and cheap for trees
and roots.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Did I just click the wrong button?

On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 23:05:51 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

ou're not bothered about the bits of nail left in the posts?

Comes out with the fire ash:-)

The posts are scrap.

Ah. Alternative to trying to saw down between the post and rail, cut
post roughly above and below the rail. Then jemmy the bit of post off
and knock the whole nails back out of the rails. Having said that if
the nails have really rusted the block of post may well have to be
split off the nails...

The second problem is how to pull out the rotted off below ground bit of
post so that I can re-use the post holes.

I envisage something like giant sugar tongs operated by chain from my
forklift. About 60 to do!

Something like:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-...e-digger/35835

Attach chain or strop so that the lifting force closes the blades
onto the post. Under the hinge?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2014 00:11, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

IME its going to be really hard to get the rotten end out due to them
seldom being rotten except for the top inch or two.

I usually just get the SDS out and break off some of the concrete, dig
out the wood if its easy, drop in a spur and concrete it in.
It takes between 20 and 60 minutes depending on how energetic you are.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
"dennis@home" writes
On 07/04/2014 00:11, Dave Liquorice wrote:
The second problem is how to pull out the rotted off below ground bit of
post so that I can re-use the post holes.

I envisage something like giant sugar tongs operated by chain from my
forklift. About 60 to do!

Something like:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-...e-digger/35835

Attach chain or strop so that the lifting force closes the blades
onto the post. Under the hinge?

IME its going to be really hard to get the rotten end out due to them
seldom being rotten except for the top inch or two.

I usually just get the SDS out and break off some of the concrete, dig
out the wood if its easy, drop in a spur and concrete it in.
It takes between 20 and 60 minutes depending on how energetic you are.

This is pony paddock, post and rail. No concrete but small rubble
included in the original back fill. I have managed a few manually and
the generally come out leaving a clean hole.

I may try to fabricate a scissor action grab for those actually broken
below ground level.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Apr 2014 10:46:49 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

This is pony paddock, post and rail. No concrete but small rubble
included in the original back fill. I have managed a few manually and
the generally come out leaving a clean hole.

Those that don't break off at ground level and you leave the stub
from below the bottom rail you may have enough to wrap a strop around
and pull straight up with the fork lift. Might take a bit of thought
on how to wrap the strop so that it tightens on pulling and pulls
evenly not just one side.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2014 10:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message om,
"dennis@home" writes
[...]

If the grounds soft you can try hammering the new post onto the stump
and push it deeper.

Get a bit of steel tube a bit bigger than the post, knock it in and pull
it out post with it. You can use your log splitter to push the stump out
ready for the next one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The second problem is how to pull out the rotted off below ground bit of

post so that I can re-use the post holes.

To pull out concrete posts I used a rope hitch and a farm jack. Worked marvellously. Assuming the posts can take it, a rope hitch should be easy with the aid of your forklift/skyhook. Failing that, how about whacking a very big coach screw into/near the top of any broken-off posts with an impact driver, and using that as tow point?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
"dennis@home" writes
This is pony paddock, post and rail. No concrete but small rubble
included in the original back fill. I have managed a few manually and
the generally come out leaving a clean hole.

I may try to fabricate a scissor action grab for those actually broken
below ground level.

If the grounds soft you can try hammering the new post onto the
stump and push it deeper.

There be Hertfordshire diamonds down the-)

Get a bit of steel tube a bit bigger than the post, knock it in and pull
it out post with it. You can use your log splitter to push the stump
out ready for the next one.

Umm. 5"+ diameter?

I could bore a hole into sound wood and insert some sort of *Rawl bolt*
type expanding collet arrangement.
/ \
/ \
__ __
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
/ \
/ \
\ /
My scissor grip idea. Bugger ascii art!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2014 21:07, Tim Lamb wrote:

I could bore a hole into sound wood and insert some sort of *Rawl bolt*
type expanding collet arrangement.
/ \
/ \
__ __
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
/ \
/ \
\ /
My scissor grip idea. Bugger ascii art!

An easy to implement scissor lift would be a couple of plates of
steel[1] with a slightly larger than post cross section sized cutout one
end, and a hole for a chain the other. Slide them down onto the post,
with the chain holes diametrically opposed, and then connect the chain
holes to each other with a yoke of chain that is long enough to clear
the top of the post. Now stick your forklift under the chain and lift.

/\
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ __ \
C | | C
/ | | \
/ | P| \
/ | | \
===S===| |= \
=| |===S====
| |

P = post, L = Lift point, C = Chain, S = Steel Plate

The steel plates bite harder into the post the harder you pull them...

(this trick used to be a standard procedure used by a mate when
recovering a snapped off auger from the depths of a 20m hole that was
being pile driven! He would chuck a plate down on the end of a rope or
chain, and jangle about until he got the hole ove the end of the auger,
then use the pile driver to pull it upp (with a long auger the
asymmetric pull of only a single plate did not matter))

[1] or something welded up from square section etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

Do-able but it relies on clearing enough soil away to reach a sound part
of what is by now a broken off rotted stump. The usual technique here
for lifting or withdrawing anything is to *strangle* it with a wire
strop and hoist with the fork lift.

The teeth on my scissors might be 15mm or so and able to slide down the
stump sides under the weight of the loader forks and carriage assembly.

The shovel mentioned up thread has the wrong pivot action to close the
jaws when the handles are lifted but I suppose this could be overcome by
lifting arms arranged to cross over. I might have some 6"x3" channel
lying about:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 08:54:55 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

The shovel mentioned up thread has the wrong pivot action to close the
jaws when the handles are lifted ...

That's why said lift under the pivot. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Good reciprocating saw? Tim Watts UK diy 16 April 6th 10 12:14 PM
reciprocating saw Anthona Home Repair 36 March 15th 10 04:00 AM
reciprocating hacksaws Fred UK diy 22 May 28th 09 06:59 PM
Reciprocating Saw davex1001 Home Repair 18 June 14th 06 09:57 PM
PC Reciprocating Saw Jerry Woodworking 2 July 30th 03 10:31 PM