Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I think he overdid it taking that brick out...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....gerous-6885760

(still I guess that was the intention - just perhaps not quite a quick!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....gerous-6885760

Not bad for "passer-by" quality video

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2014 03:24, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....gerous-6885760

(still I guess that was the intention - just perhaps not quite a quick!)

A still picture in the article shows it with a shop type front at the
bottom and the beam over that obviously broken. The front wall was
almost certainly doomed once that had happened.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....gerous-6885760

(still I guess that was the intention - just perhaps not quite a quick!)

That cherry picker looked a bit too close for comfort - a little
more sideways spread by the falling brickwork and it could have
been a different story.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, March 28, 2014 9:04:34 AM UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....gerous-6885760

(still I guess that was the intention - just perhaps not quite a quick!)

That cherry picker looked a bit too close for comfort - a little

more sideways spread by the falling brickwork and it could have

been a different story.

Chris

--

Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Perhaps that is what he wanted to happen. I couldn't see any way it could have been made safe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....gerous-6885760

(still I guess that was the intention - just perhaps not quite a quick!)

That cherry picker looked a bit too close for comfort - a little
more sideways spread by the falling brickwork and it could have
been a different story.

Perhaps that is what he wanted to happen. I couldn't see any way it could have been made safe.

He was probably trying to get it down bit by bit. If he wanted to bring
the whole lot down in one big collapse, hitting it with a digger shovel
would have worked and put him further from the action.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 06:55:36 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Not bad for "passer-by" quality video

Many smart phones do "HD" video these days. That's not difficult as
HD is less than 2 M pixels, the sensors in phones are 5 M pixel or
more. All you need is the processing grunt, which phones have in
abundance. What lets phones down are poor lenses(*) and/or low light
conditions.

(*) I'm surprised they work as well as they do when you only have a
maximum of 5 mm or less to play with. I think they must be closer to
"pin hole" methods than conventional lenes.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm writes:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....gerous-6885760

Quite similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

Best watched with the sound turned down though. "Interesting" bit is 2
mins in.

--
Alan J. Wylie http://www.wylie.me.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Alan J. Wylie
writes

Quite similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

Quite unnerving seeing the speed at which the fire progresses (watch the
windows blowing out from left to right).

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/14 09:50, Dave Liquorice wrote:

(*) I'm surprised they work as well as they do when you only have a
maximum of 5 mm or less to play with. I think they must be closer to
"pin hole" methods than conventional lenes.

Not that close if you watch one trying to get focus - my Galaxy Note 3
is very pronounces when it "hunts".

But yes, I am also surprised they managed to get the quality they do.
Nothing beats a real camera with good lenses but phones are damn useful
for basic "event records".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2014 10:03, Alan J. Wylie wrote:
John Rumm writes:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....gerous-6885760

Quite similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

Best watched with the sound turned down though. "Interesting" bit is 2
mins in.

I wonder if the bloke in a high vis jacket and hard hat had been using a
blowlamp.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

John Rumm writes:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....gerous-6885760

Quite similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

Best watched with the sound turned down though. "Interesting" bit is 2
mins in.

Very brave firemen. They must have had a pretty good idea that the
building could collapse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's rather lovely that the very bit he was prodding was the last piece to
fall down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan J. Wylie wrote:
John Rumm writes:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....gerous-6885760

Quite similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

Best watched with the sound turned down though. "Interesting" bit is 2
mins in.

That's what happens in a country where 3 storey blocks of flats are built
with plywood and sticks.
It's as well burning down now rather than end up in the sea the first time
the wind blows.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan J. Wylie wrote:
John Rumm writes:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....gerous-6885760

Quite similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

Best watched with the sound turned down though. "Interesting" bit is 2
mins in.

And the most hillarious at 42 seconds....'that's dangerous!' - she must
have thought he was doing it for laughs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Nightjar
scribeth thus
On 28/03/2014 10:03, Alan J. Wylie wrote:
John Rumm writes:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....news/dramatic-

video-shows-moment-dangerous-6885760

Quite similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

Best watched with the sound turned down though. "Interesting" bit is 2
mins in.

I wonder if the bloke in a high vis jacket and hard hat had been using a
blowlamp.

Colin Bignell

Jeezz!! was that place designed to burn;?...

God save us from "Oh my Gawd" forsaken American wimmen 'tho;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan J. Wylie wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

Surprised they're driving the ladder-truck around with the ladder
extended, I quite often get to see UK ALPs (aerial ladder platforms) in
use and they wouldn't dream of operating them without the outriggers
extended

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2014 19:20, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Nightjar
scribeth thus
John Rumm writes:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....news/dramatic-

video-shows-moment-dangerous-6885760

Quite similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

Best watched with the sound turned down though. "Interesting" bit is 2
mins in.

I wonder if the bloke in a high vis jacket and hard hat had been using a
blowlamp.

Colin Bignell

Jeezz!! was that place designed to burn;?...

God save us from "Oh my Gawd" forsaken American wimmen 'tho;!...

It's the first time I've heard a non-teenager actually say oh! em! gee!

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 15:23:36 +0000, Phil L wrote:

Alan J. Wylie wrote:
John Rumm writes:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....nchester-news/

dramatic-video-shows-moment-dangerous-6885760

Quite similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

Best watched with the sound turned down though. "Interesting" bit is 2
mins in.

That's what happens in a country where 3 storey blocks of flats are
built with plywood and sticks.
It's as well burning down now rather than end up in the sea the first
time the wind blows.

They should have built it out of bricks. They never fall down suddenly,
except in Manchester. And in NZ, when there's a slight earthquake.
I love bricks - I use them a lot for paths and walls one brick high.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Surprised they're driving the ladder-truck around with the ladder
extended, I quite often get to see UK ALPs (aerial ladder platforms) in
use and they wouldn't dream of operating them without the outriggers
extended

Are you sure that the problem wasn't they couldn't move the truck
and could only adjust elevation and slew angle?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Surprised they're driving the ladder-truck around with the ladder
extended

Are you sure that the problem wasn't they couldn't move the truck
and could only adjust elevation and slew angle?

Looking at it again, you might be right, the way it "lurched" forward
made me think it was being driven forwards, but I think it was just
being extended/rotated/elevated after all.

All four wheels are off the ground whenever I see them
play^H^H^Hraticing ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Phil L" wrote in message
Alan J. Wylie wrote:
John Rumm writes:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....gerous-6885760

Quite similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

Best watched with the sound turned down though. "Interesting" bit is 2
mins in.

And the most hillarious at 42 seconds....'that's dangerous!' - she must
have thought he was doing it for laughs.

I disagree. The best bit was the person that clapped twice at 1 min 10
seconds:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer writes:
In article , Nightjar
scribeth thus
John Rumm writes:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....news/dramatic-

video-shows-moment-dangerous-6885760

Quite similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

Best watched with the sound turned down though. "Interesting" bit is 2
mins in.

I wonder if the bloke in a high vis jacket and hard hat had been using a
blowlamp.

Colin Bignell

Jeezz!! was that place designed to burn;?...

At that point in the construction, effectively yes.
It will have all the timber studwork and chip board, but no
plasterboard fitted. These buildings are all timber construction.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan J. Wylie wrote:
John Rumm writes:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....nchester-news/

dramatic-video-shows-moment-dangerous-6885760

Quite similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

Best watched with the sound turned down though. "Interesting" bit is 2
mins in.

That's what happens in a country where 3 storey blocks of flats are
built with plywood and sticks.
It's as well burning down now rather than end up in the sea the first
time the wind blows.

They should have built it out of bricks. They never fall down suddenly,
except in Manchester. And in NZ, when there's a slight earthquake.
I love bricks - I use them a lot for paths and walls one brick high.

I don't know where this is, but it looks exactly like construction
I see in California, where a brick building wouldn't last.

Timber is much cheaper and much better quality than you find here,
although the board they use in construction looks like chipboard made
with enormous "flakes" of broken up timber. This looks like it got to
the stage of completed timber construction and external insulation,
but probably has none of the plasterboard yet, so the rooms would all
still be open framed.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
Alan J. Wylie wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

Surprised they're driving the ladder-truck around with the ladder
extended, I quite often get to see UK ALPs (aerial ladder platforms) in
use and they wouldn't dream of operating them without the outriggers
extended

The fireman was interviewed afterwards about being on the ladder
when it's moving and said they would only do that in a life or death
emergency situation. He was shouting to the builder to wait until
they moved it closer, as he was worried the builder was going to try
and jump across to it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2014 14:44, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
Alan J. Wylie wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9PWSHL4Vg

Surprised they're driving the ladder-truck around with the ladder
extended, I quite often get to see UK ALPs (aerial ladder platforms) in
use and they wouldn't dream of operating them without the outriggers
extended

The fireman was interviewed afterwards about being on the ladder
when it's moving and said they would only do that in a life or death
emergency situation. He was shouting to the builder to wait until
they moved it closer, as he was worried the builder was going to try
and jump across to it.

I suspect he was also worried that, at that angle and extension, the
ladder was probably working near its the limit for carrying a single man.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That's what happens in a country where 3 storey blocks of flats are
built with plywood and sticks.
It's as well burning down now rather than end up in the sea the first
time the wind blows.

They should have built it out of bricks. They never fall down suddenly,
except in Manchester. And in NZ, when there's a slight earthquake.
I love bricks - I use them a lot for paths and walls one brick high.

I don't know where this is, but it looks exactly like construction
I see in California, where a brick building wouldn't last.

Why not, this a problem with earth tremors?.

Always seems to me that Yank buildings seem rather flimsy....

Timber is much cheaper and much better quality than you find here,
although the board they use in construction looks like chipboard made
with enormous "flakes" of broken up timber. This looks like it got to
the stage of completed timber construction and external insulation,
but probably has none of the plasterboard yet, so the rooms would all
still be open framed.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2014 20:53, tony sayer wrote:
That's what happens in a country where 3 storey blocks of flats are
built with plywood and sticks.
It's as well burning down now rather than end up in the sea the first
time the wind blows.

They should have built it out of bricks. They never fall down suddenly,
except in Manchester. And in NZ, when there's a slight earthquake.
I love bricks - I use them a lot for paths and walls one brick high.

I don't know where this is, but it looks exactly like construction
I see in California, where a brick building wouldn't last.

Why not, this a problem with earth tremors?.

Yes. I've had people from California being amazed that our brick and
stone buildings and garden walls last for centuries, not weeks.

Always seems to me that Yank buildings seem rather flimsy....

They are flexible enough to withstand earthquakes, and weatherproof.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
God save us from "Oh my Gawd" forsaken American wimmen 'tho;!...

My thought was that the firemen must be really ****ed off at
observers thanking God and Jesus and the Easter Bunny rather
than the firemen who risked life and limb to rescue the worker.

jgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2014 02:40, John Williamson wrote:
[...]

Both constrained brick and reinforced brick are recognised earthquake
resistant construction techniques.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Williamson writes:
On 03/04/2014 20:53, tony sayer wrote:
That's what happens in a country where 3 storey blocks of flats are
built with plywood and sticks.
It's as well burning down now rather than end up in the sea the first
time the wind blows.

They should have built it out of bricks. They never fall down suddenly,
except in Manchester. And in NZ, when there's a slight earthquake.
I love bricks - I use them a lot for paths and walls one brick high.

I don't know where this is, but it looks exactly like construction
I see in California, where a brick building wouldn't last.

Why not, this a problem with earth tremors?.

Yes. I've had people from California being amazed that our brick and
stone buildings and garden walls last for centuries, not weeks.

Always seems to me that Yank buildings seem rather flimsy....

Deliberately.

They are flexible enough to withstand earthquakes, and weatherproof.

Yes, I was in Sun's building in Menlo Park during a 5.4 quake.
There was lots of creeking, metal blinds crashing against windows,
etc, but afterwards, not a single sign that anything had happened.
Yet the same magnitude has demolished whole settlements elsewhere in
the world. (That building is now Facebook's HQ.)

The only reported damage from that incident in the local Press by a
day later was a false ceiling which partially came down in a shop,
and caught fire where it landed on a furnace (american for warm air
central heating unit).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2014 14:21, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

At that point in the construction, effectively yes.
It will have all the timber studwork and chip board, but no
plasterboard fitted. These buildings are all timber construction.

I've witnessed a small fire spread up three floors within 10 minutes in
a similar constructed block (finished) of flats in the UK.