Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Elm tree help

When I bought my current house 2 years ago there was a lovely grove of elm
trees on the adjacent land across the whole northern boundary which
completely isolated it visually from the farmhouse 50 yards away and 30 feet
higher up the slope we live on here. It was like looking out onto a woodland
and was a big part of why I bought the place.

Davey the farmer asked me some time ago if I had any objections to him
trimming the trees to give him and his wife a better view out over the
countryside over the top of them past my house. They're his trees and he can
do what he likes with them and I wouldn't dream of interfering and was
grateful to even be asked but we agreed a trimming height which made no odds
to my view of his house and let him look over the top of them. However he's
not just lopped the tops off, he's cut every bloody branch off lower down so
all that's left is bare trunks. It now looks like the aftermath of a meteor
impact or atomic bomb explosion. There's no cover at all. I can see right
through to their place and vice versa.

How long will it take for branches to grow back and leaves to start
obscuring the view again? I'm guessing many years. Anything we can do to
make this happen faster or encourage branch growth on the bare stems?
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:

How long will it take for branches to grow back and leaves to start
obscuring the view again? I'm guessing many years. Anything we can do to
make this happen faster or encourage branch growth on the bare stems?

Lleylandii?

(Ok! ok! Coat's on its way.)

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Mar 2014 19:19:47 -0000, "Dave Baker"
wrote:

[...]

Don't know about elm, but most native trees will regrow very quickly.

Established coppice stools of things like willow, ash or chestnut can
easily put on a couple of metres re-growth in a year. As long as he
doesn't grub up the stumps I wouldn't worry too much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2014 19:19, Dave Baker wrote:
[...]

The best way to encourage vigorous growth is to cut back hard :-)

From what I have read, the tree is likely to regain the original leaf
mass in about three years.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I think if you have (had) a stand of elm you are bloody lucky. Most
elm was killed off 30yrs ago ish. As you say, they are the owners trees to
do with what he will.
Little you can do to right the situation. They may/may not grow back.
If you're feeling bloody minded plant a dense row of leylandii
(spit) or if you want some long term investment plant a mix of oak and
walnut. Otherwise beech, sycamore etc. Willow & alder unlikely to thrive as
you are on a slope.
Ash, the king of woods, would be my preference but sadly is suffering at the
moment.
Having said that, you could plant a load of elm and ash. In years to come a
bodgers delight.
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message

Well, I think if you have (had) a stand of elm you are bloody lucky. Most
elm was killed off 30yrs ago ish.

Still going strong up here in north east Scotland. The cold weather kills
the Dutch Elm bugs as I understand it.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

It sounds like he has pollarded the properly - so they will keep a
better shape than had he just taken the top off. Regrowth is usually
fairly rapid - I expect it will look quite decent after a couple of
growth seasons. You will probably even see a decent change by the end of
the summer.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/14 13:25, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

+1. here they did a line if cherry trees that were in danger of shorting
some power cables. a year later they are bushy lollipops.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

They will make very rapid growth, multiple "stalks" probably four or five
feet in a year.
It could be the whole trunk will be covered in stalks if he has cut
everything off.
It may well look like a giant hedge in two or three years.
http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/se...x=wrt&y=Search

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 23:10:51 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

Dave Baker wrote:
[...]

And awful hard to climb.

--