Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any experiences of plinth heaters

I need to use all the wall space in a small kitchen so plan to go for a
plinth heater (under a 600 base unit) running off the CH. Is there
anything to watch out for? Are there any types to prefer/avoid?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2014 17:37, Chris J Dixon wrote:
wrote:

I need to use all the wall space in a small kitchen so plan to go for a
plinth heater (under a 600 base unit) running off the CH. Is there
anything to watch out for? Are there any types to prefer/avoid?

To be Part L compliant, I believe you should be connecting this
via a room thermostat, so the fan only runs when heat is
required. Additionally, my Myson also has an internal thermostat
which will only run the fan if the water pipe is hot.

In my kitchen, it is the only heat source. Since I have set the
thermostat relatively low, it only kicks in on really cold
mornings, as the kitchen is otherwise well enough heated from
cooking and solar gain.

As far as fitting under the cabinets is concerned, then you need
to look at the dimensions. My kitchen units have quite shallow
plinths, and the fitters had to steal a little extra height to
get the Myson in (don't forget to allow for your floor covering).
Only you can tell what is going on beneath your
intended units, and what their widths are between legs.

It is connected by flexible pipes, so you can drag it out if it
needs attention.

Chris

It will be the only intentional heat source in this kitchen too and I'd
planned to have a thermostat next to the isolating switch, so Part L
should be covered.
I need to disconnect an existing rad so was going to fit standard
isolators to the tails and then connect the flexible pipe to those when
I fit the carcass. I'm tempted to put an access hatch in the bottom of
the carcass - do yours have that?

As for what goes on between the legs - I'll get my tape measure out -
back to early teens!! ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 17:19:52 +0000, Biggles wrote:

I need to use all the wall space in a small kitchen so plan to go for a
plinth heater (under a 600 base unit) running off the CH. Is there
anything to watch out for? Are there any types to prefer/avoid?

Used them twice, once in a small kitchen with just the manual switch, now
in large living/dining area with wall thermostats.

Both times I was well impressed - think I used Smiths the first time and I
just checked and have Smiths here.

Be aware that you will have a radiator under your kitchen unit which will
warm up when the CH is running but not blow unless the fan is activated -
so don't plan to store anything you want to keep cool directly above the
plinth heater.

The two speed fan option is sensible.

The cool fan option to blow cold (well, room temperature) air around your
ankles in the summer is IMHO a solution desperately looking for a problem.

Having said all that, our plinth heaters rarely come on because the living
area is insulated up to the latest standards and has enormous solar gain
from the bi-folds so the back of the house is always warm.

It does make me wonder if a plinth heater fitted into a fireplace would
free off a lot of wall space in a living room otherwise taken up be a
radiator.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David.WE.Roberts wrote:
It does make me wonder if a plinth heater fitted into a fireplace would
free off a lot of wall space in a living room otherwise taken up be a
radiator.

Wouldn't have to be a fireplace - it could be fitted into some bookshelves etc

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I need to use all the wall space in a small kitchen so plan to go for a
plinth heater (under a 600 base unit) running off the CH. Is there anything
to watch out for? Are there any types to prefer/avoid?

Our kitchen is quite large yet the Smiths plinth heater does the job. It has
a two speed fan and is simply switched on when needed with no thermostat
involved. Full speed is a bit noisy but only needed for a fast warm up. Low
speed is ideal for holding the temperature. It would be better with a
remotely mounted control as having to bend right down to floor level to
change the speed can be a pain.

As already mentioned the cabined above does get warm. We use this to
advantage by storing plates in it, they come out ready warmed when the
central heating is on.

We did have a problem after it had been installed about five years. The
flexi hoses that came with it turned brittle and started leaking. It was a
challenge getting to the isolation valves as they were at the back and very
difficult to reach through the kick board opening with the heater in place.
Smiths supplied new hoses FOC and paid for the installation and lost Furnox
as they were aware of having had a bad batch! I did the job myself but
extended the fixed plumbing forward so that the valves are now beside the
heater instead of behind it. So I would recommend plumbing yours in in this
manner for easy future maintenance.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello, I found this thread whilst researching plinth heaters for my large L-shaped open plan kitchen-into-living-room-space.

The kitchen in the rear will have patio doors onto a north facing garden (no sun coming in) whereas the living room at the front is double aspect with x3 windows on two sides (x1 bay and x1 standard window onto immediate south-facing front and x1 large feature 1700x1700 window on the side which is facing west). Despite being south-facing, there are a lot of tall trees in the park opposite the front of the house which casts some shade over the house at different times of the day depending on the season. Though I don't have sunlight and heat streaming in, because of these big trees, the sun does hit the front walls of the house to give a certain amount of heat.

I've been told I need 16,500 BTUs to heat this large open plan space. I can fit 3 radiators in the living space area (under 2 Windows and on living room side of the 750mm wide nib near the kitchen). However I have no wall space for rads in the north-facing kitchen, which is the room I'm most concerned about keeping warm when not cooking.

We were considering but have now ruled out underfloor heating for a number of reasons so are now focussed on fitting central heating linked plinth heaters. I have been looking at SMITHS and MYSON brands (though am open to any other decent brand that's effective and quiet) but am just a bit concerned about the following..

1. Noise. As we will have an open plan living space, I don't want a noisy fan going off. Which is the quietest brand?

2. Location. The kitchen is 3.8m x 3m. It is essentially a galley kitchen with an island down the centre and patio doors at the end. The island has a sink built into it so I was thinking of having x2 plinth heaters down both sides of the island blowing into the walkway as A. It's out of sight (I don't find them attractive and am having a brand new designer German kitchen fitted) and B. It'll be under the sink to warm toes one side and under the bar overhang on the other side to be out of the way and to offer heat when sat there. Does this work? Would the heat circulate around the kitchen still or be too directional into quite a narrow 850mm walkway either side?

3. BTU calculation. I say I'd like x2 plinth heaters for more even distribution around the kitchen and the obstacles of the cabinets but I have noticed that on average, each heater gives off about 3,900-4,700 BTUs. Having two doubles that. Is that excessive or OK for a north facing kitchen that needs to both retain heat but also deflect heat loss from the living room?

4. Thermostat & heater mounted switch. I would like to get a thermostat but most of the heaters I've seen have mounted switches which are good if I want a boost of heat if the GCH is off but I've read that they can be easily kicked to turn on or off!! At the same time, some people think having them under the sink to toast your toes is a benefit!! Any thoughts on this?

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but would be great if they are and could give their opinion! Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but would be great if
they are and could give their opinion! Thanks.

I have a Myson kickspace heater that has two fan speed settings. The higher
one is definitely too loud for regular use but the lower one, whilst not
silent, is unobtrusive.

We had problems with the flexi hoses for ours that got quickly choked.
Replaced with large loops of 15mm speedfit plastic pipe has fixed the
problem and still allows the heater to be pulled out for any service needs
without unplumbing.

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile

Plinth heater in bathroom? Tim Downie UK diy 13 December 7th 08 12:15 PM
Bookcase Plinth Greg Esres Woodworking 4 March 19th 07 10:57 AM
plinth for bath david thorpe UK diy 8 April 3rd 06 10:27 PM
Black plinth cyclerider UK diy 15 August 27th 05 05:55 PM
Kitchen plinth which way up? David UK diy 1 July 3rd 03 04:58 PM