Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fisco Mark-o-matic

I have one of these steel tape measures - 5 metre. Its unusual feature is
the ability to mark wood etc via its built in pencil lead or scriber, one
at either end of the body. Think it came from B&Q many years ago.

The tape has just broken in two, and I can't see an easy way of replacing
it - it doesn't pull out enough to give access to the fixing.

Is there another make with the same features or whatever?

--
*Middle age is when work is a lot less fun - and fun a lot more work.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 1:54:38 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I have one of these steel tape measures - 5 metre. Its unusual feature is
the ability to mark wood etc via its built in pencil lead or scriber, one
at either end of the body. Think it came from B&Q many years ago.
The tape has just broken in two, and I can't see an easy way of replacing
it - it doesn't pull out enough to give access to the fixing.
Is there another make with the same features or whatever?

Can you not open the case?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I have one of these steel tape measures - 5 metre. Its unusual feature
is the ability to mark wood etc via its built in pencil lead or
scriber, one at either end of the body. Think it came from B&Q many
years ago. The tape has just broken in two, and I can't see an easy
way of replacing it - it doesn't pull out enough to give access to the
fixing. Is there another make with the same features or whatever?

Can you not open the case?

It seems to be welded together. Or a very strong adhesive. I think it
would break before opening.

--
*Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
I have one of these steel tape measures - 5 metre. Its unusual feature
is the ability to mark wood etc via its built in pencil lead or
scriber, one at either end of the body. Think it came from B&Q many
years ago. The tape has just broken in two, and I can't see an easy
way of replacing it - it doesn't pull out enough to give access to the
fixing. Is there another make with the same features or whatever?

Can you not open the case?

It seems to be welded together. Or a very strong adhesive. I think it
would break before opening.

There are quite a few Youtube clips about opening tape measures -
usually trying to replace a broken spring. There are usually screws
somewhere or other. However given that there are springs involved
when pulled open often the components end up all over the floor.
That's if you can actually find them or know what you're supposed
to be looking for. So that actually opening it turned out to
have been the easy and/or only stage of the operation.

Saying that, according to other sources premium brands like
Fisco apparently carry spares for stuff like springs.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:01:22 PM UTC, michael adams wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" davenoise.co.uk wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

[...]

..

I've opened a couple before & not had any ping****its

NT

250W amp - Mark Bass , Little Mark 250, of 2008, Italy N_Cook Electronics Repair 49 June 14th 12 04:43 PM
Tap-Matic Stupendous Man Metalworking 11 December 5th 09 03:23 PM
Bernz-O-Matic question Steve B[_2_] Home Repair 8 December 4th 09 04:42 PM
O/T: Veg-O-Matic Lives Lew Hodgett[_4_] Woodworking 1 July 14th 09 11:43 AM
Help with U-Matic loading problem? Bradley1234 Electronics Repair 0 January 4th 05 05:41 AM