Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bernz-O-Matic question

I've got one of the torch heads, a simple one with just a valve. It hasn't
been working right for a while, but I just use it to start the fireplace.
The flame coming out is yellow. This evening, the fire got back and ignited
gas coming out of the holes in the side that I would assume are for air
intake, meaning that it is clogged, and pushing the gas out the back. How
does one clean the torch head? Screw off the sleeve, but what do I use to
clean out the passages? Long piece of thin wire? Torch tip cleaner? Pipe
cleaners? Soak in solvent?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 12:01*am, "Steve B" wrote:
I've got one of the torch heads, a simple one with just a valve. *It hasn't
been working right for a while, but I just use it to start the fireplace.
The flame coming out is yellow. *This evening, the fire got back and ignited
gas coming out of the holes in the side that I would assume are for air
intake, meaning that it is clogged, and pushing the gas out the back. *How
does one clean the torch head? *Screw off the sleeve, but what do I use to
clean out the passages? *Long piece of thin wire? *Torch tip cleaner? *Pipe
cleaners? *Soak in solvent?

I've never had one clog, but starting with compressed air is probably
a thought.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I've got one of the torch heads, a simple one with just a valve. It
hasn't been working right for a while, but I just use it to start the
fireplace. The flame coming out is yellow. This evening, the fire
got back and ignited gas coming out of the holes in the side that I
would assume are for air intake, meaning that it is clogged, and
pushing the gas out the back. How does one clean the torch head? Screw
off the sleeve, but what do I use to clean out the passages? Long piece of
thin wire? Torch tip cleaner? Pipe cleaners? Soak in
solvent?

Depends on what is restricting the airflow. I have one that has a
star-shaped insert thingy down the burner. If it comes loose, it changes
the flow and monkies with the flame (I tamp it back down with a dowel).

Sometimes a spider makes a web in those heads and plugs them up, so try
cleaning out the head with a chopstick and using a copper wire to probe the
air inlets.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I've got one of the torch heads, a simple one with just a valve. It hasn't
been working right for a while, but I just use it to start the fireplace.
The flame coming out is yellow. This evening, the fire got back and ignited
gas coming out of the holes in the side that I would assume are for air
intake, meaning that it is clogged, and pushing the gas out the back. How
does one clean the torch head? Screw off the sleeve, but what do I use to
clean out the passages? Long piece of thin wire? Torch tip cleaner? Pipe
cleaners? Soak in solvent?

Steve

The one I have has an orifice just under
the flame head. To clean it the
instructions (it's probably 45 year old)
were to remove the head with
a wrench. Remove the orifice which will
either be in the head or in the
end of the pipe coming from the valve.
Turn it around 180 degrees and
put the head back on. Then, turn on the
gas, but don't ignite it. The
gas pressure will push out any solids.
Then reassemble the correct way.
It's always worked for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 11:16*am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
On 12/03/2009 12:01 AM, Steve B wrote:

I've got one of the torch heads, a simple one with just a valve. *It hasn't
been working right for a while, but I just use it to start the fireplace.
The flame coming out is yellow. *This evening, the fire got back and ignited
gas coming out of the holes in the side that I would assume are for air
intake, meaning that it is clogged, and pushing the gas out the back. *How
does one clean the torch head? *Screw off the sleeve, but what do I use to
clean out the passages? *Long piece of thin wire? *Torch tip cleaner? *Pipe
cleaners? *Soak in solvent?

Steve

Buy a new one. It could be clogged or the filter regulator could be
missing. If you unscrew the head from the pipe there is a little
filter/regulator inset into the pipe. Nobody sells them any more. Of
course with 40/11 different kinds yours may be different.

A strand of fine wire pushed thru the head should clear out any clogs
there. You can get a fine wire by unwinging a piece of "lamp cord" or
us a fine pin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

I pluck a strand of wire from a stainless steel wire brush. Used it on
venturi (?) holes of a small engine carburetor. Works great.

Never had a torch clog, yet.

Those ss pieces are short, but I do have some. Also have a tip cleaner from
a OA rig. Have dediced to do the following in about two weeks when I'm
finished with Christmas lights:

blow out with 90 psi nozzle
put long piece fine copper wire though orfices
put tip cleaner wires through there
soak in acetone
repeat above
if that fails, I'll bite the bullet, and buy another, or just go to the pawn
shop or yard sale.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
[...]

Thanks to you, and art and bob, and Steve for raising the question.

I have a special propane torch that is clogged in the orifice. I'll
try these thigns.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The new ones produce a smaller flame and less heat. I don't like them.
Maybe if you go to one of the self lighting ones that are much more
expensive, they look larger so maybe they put out more heat.

Joint-Matic history? Dan Woodworking 2 January 28th 13 11:57 PM
Tap-Matic Stupendous Man Metalworking 11 December 5th 09 03:23 PM
O/T: Veg-O-Matic Lives Lew Hodgett[_4_] Woodworking 1 July 14th 09 11:43 AM
need help with Atlas Pick-O-Matic lathe Bugs Metalworking 1 November 8th 05 01:41 PM
Help with U-Matic loading problem? Bradley1234 Electronics Repair 0 January 4th 05 05:41 AM