Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Bernz-O-Matic question

Steve B wrote:
"Oren" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 14:48:35 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Dec 3, 11:16 am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
On 12/03/2009 12:01 AM, Steve B wrote:

I've got one of the torch heads, a simple one with just a valve. It
hasn't
been working right for a while, but I just use it to start the
fireplace.
The flame coming out is yellow. This evening, the fire got back and
ignited
gas coming out of the holes in the side that I would assume are for
air
intake, meaning that it is clogged, and pushing the gas out the back.
How
does one clean the torch head? Screw off the sleeve, but what do I use
clean out the passages? Long piece of thin wire? Torch tip cleaner?
Pipe
cleaners? Soak in solvent?
Steve
Buy a new one. It could be clogged or the filter regulator could be
missing. If you unscrew the head from the pipe there is a little
filter/regulator inset into the pipe. Nobody sells them any more. Of
course with 40/11 different kinds yours may be different.
A strand of fine wire pushed thru the head should clear out any clogs
there. You can get a fine wire by unwinging a piece of "lamp cord" or
us a fine pin.

I pluck a strand of wire from a stainless steel wire brush. Used it on
venturi (?) holes of a small engine carburetor. Works great.

Never had a torch clog, yet.

Those ss pieces are short, but I do have some. Also have a tip cleaner from
a OA rig. Have dediced to do the following in about two weeks when I'm
finished with Christmas lights:

blow out with 90 psi nozzle
put long piece fine copper wire though orfices
put tip cleaner wires through there
soak in acetone
repeat above
if that fails, I'll bite the bullet, and buy another, or just go to the pawn
shop or yard sale.

The new ones produce a smaller flame and less heat. I don't like them.
Maybe if you go to one of the self lighting ones that are much more
expensive, they look larger so maybe they put out more heat.