Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Impregnating a tree stump for burning out?

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 18:00:31 +0000, Caecilius
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:41:34 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

I've got an old cherry tree stump which I really want rid of.

I think saltpetre (potassium nitrate) is the stuff to use. If you
drill a vertical hole into the wood and pack it full of saltpetre, the
rain water will dissolve it and it will eventually permeate the wood.

This will encourage the wood to rot, as it supplies a source of
nitrogen for bacteria, and will also make the stump easier to burn as
it is an oxidiser.

It's not a quick solution though.

Add the right percentage of sulphur and charcoal to the saltpetre and
a fuse in the holes ... that would get it out when lit!
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
g g is offline

replying to harryagain, g wrote:
We've used mushroom spores and found it to be VERY effective.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ut-963320-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is that because there is not mushroom inside? Thud.

I bet this was in answer to a post from the last Ice Age too.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"g" m wrote in message
oupdirect.com...
replying to harryagain, g wrote:
We've used mushroom spores and found it to be VERY effective.

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ut-963320-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
Is that because there is not mushroom inside? Thud.

I bet this was in answer to a post from the last Ice Age too.

Brian

Three years ago I got some sodium nitrate, meaning to bore holes in a
stump and fill them if I had the stump would be ready to burn,Dont't
know where I put that sodium nitrate,( must have lost my tuit then)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 19:57:14 +1100, FMurtz wrote:

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
Is that because there is not mushroom inside? Thud.

I bet this was in answer to a post from the last Ice Age too.

Brian

Three years ago I got some sodium nitrate, meaning to bore holes in a
stump and fill them if I had the stump would be ready to burn,Dont't
know where I put that sodium nitrate,( must have lost my tuit then)

Is it in the food cupboard with the other curing, smoking and
preserving ingredients? That's where mine is. Isn't it potassium
nitrate that's used for tree stumps?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
Is that because there is not mushroom inside? Thud.

I bet this was in answer to a post from the last Ice Age too.

Brian

Three years ago I got some sodium nitrate, meaning to bore holes in a
stump and fill them if I had the stump would be ready to burn,Dont't
know where I put that sodium nitrate,( must have lost my tuit then)

Is it in the food cupboard with the other curing, smoking and
preserving ingredients? That's where mine is. Isn't it potassium
nitrate that's used for tree stumps?

The only advantage that potassium nitrate has over sodium nitrate is
that it is much less inclined to absorb water from the air and doesn't
impart much colour to the flame when it burns.

Important if you are making pyrotechnics but for rotting out a tree
stump any old nitrate will do - even ammonium nitrate.

Unless we get a very very warm dry summer you are more likely to win by
fungi dismembering the wood from inside than getting it to smoulder.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/01/2020 13:39, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 13:29:08 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

Important if you are making pyrotechnics but for rotting out a tree
stump any old nitrate will do - even ammonium nitrate.

If you can get it as a private individual. Much used for quarry
blasting and by terrorists. I wouldn't be surprised if even an
enquiry, google ebay or whatever, attracted the attention of the
counter-terrorism police.

It is still widely available in bulk for agriculture but not to home
gardeners. By a quirk of fate its tradename is my first name backwards.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Important if you are making pyrotechnics but for rotting out a tree
stump any old nitrate will do - even ammonium nitrate.

If you can get it as a private individual. Much used for quarry
blasting and by terrorists. I wouldn't be surprised if even an
enquiry, google ebay or whatever, attracted the attention of the
counter-terrorism police.

It is still widely available in bulk for agriculture but not to home
gardeners. By a quirk of fate its tradename is my first name backwards.

Isn't there something added to it to reduce the effectiveness of the old
IRA car bomb favourite mix (which I won't mention here).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Important if you are making pyrotechnics but for rotting out a tree
stump any old nitrate will do - even ammonium nitrate.

If you can get it as a private individual. Much used for quarry
blasting and by terrorists. I wouldn't be surprised if even an
enquiry, google ebay or whatever, attracted the attention of the
counter-terrorism police.

It is still widely available in bulk for agriculture but not to home
gardeners. By a quirk of fate its tradename is my first name backwards.

'Nitram'. Used to come in blue 1-cwt bags in the 50's and 60's when I
spent most of my time on the farm behind where I lived at the time.

Had a big warning label on it about storoing out of direct sunlight
or where it might be anywhere near a fire. Few farmers bothered
with any precautions though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Jan 2020 15:27:11 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

wrote:

Important if you are making pyrotechnics but for rotting out a tree
stump any old nitrate will do - even ammonium nitrate.

If you can get it as a private individual. Much used for quarry
blasting and by terrorists. I wouldn't be surprised if even an
enquiry, google ebay or whatever, attracted the attention of the
counter-terrorism police.

It is still widely available in bulk for agriculture but not to home
gardeners. By a quirk of fate its tradename is my first name backwards.

Isn't there something added to it to reduce the effectiveness of the old
IRA car bomb favourite mix (which I won't mention here).

I came across the recipe many years ago in a book on limestone
deposits, quarrying etc. Very simple IIRC, and ideal for terrorists.
The simple recipe also makes for easy mixing on-site and straight down
the blasting hole, so no explosives stored locally to be stolen. I
remember a few years ago some terrorists did buy and store a 1-ton bag
of Nitram, presumably with a view to using it at a later date, but the
anti-terrorist police were alerted by the supplier, and they replaced
the Nitram with sugar IIRC, and arrested the terrorists when they
tried to use it.

Sweet..........!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 at 11:30:26 PM UTC+1, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:41:34 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Or any other constructive ideas!?

Drill deep 1" holes in it and fill them with Gromore or any other
granulated fertiliser. Stand back and light blue touchpaper... err,
wait a couple of years.

We had a tree fall last year. Cut it off as close to the ground as possible.. Removed stump to bonfire area at bottom of garden with JCB. While several bonfires have been lit around it since then there is no sign of the stump burning. Few charred areas but thats it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Or any other constructive ideas!?

Drill deep 1" holes in it and fill them with Gromore or any other
granulated fertiliser. Stand back and light blue touchpaper...
err, wait a couple of years.

We had a tree fall last year. Cut it off as close to the ground as
possible. Removed stump to bonfire area at bottom of garden with JCB.
While several bonfires have been lit around it since then there is no
sign of the stump burning. Few charred areas but thats it

it takes well over a year for a stump to be dry enough to burn

Lucas Bergkamp

Removing tree stump? paulfoel UK diy 31 March 20th 12 07:59 AM
Removing tree stump? Roberts UK diy 0 March 12th 12 11:50 PM
Tree Stump m Ransley Home Repair 23 August 26th 04 02:46 PM
tips on stump burning? williamhenry Metalworking 41 June 9th 04 04:52 AM
Tree stump removal Brian UK diy 46 April 6th 04 12:57 PM