Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hiding elec cable in plasterboard

I have stuck plasterboard to a brick wall with pink foam.
But I want to hide a ring main cable in it.
Then skim plaster over the top.
It's easy to cut a groove in the plasterboard.
But I dont want to cut into the brick if its not necessary
Could I use some kind of cable clips
to nail the cable to the brick?
Then scrim tape over the top of the groove?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Wall_chasi ng
helps a bit but doesnt have enough detail

Suggestions please

[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/14 21:51, george - dicegeorge wrote:
I have stuck plasterboard to a brick wall with pink foam.
But I want to hide a ring main cable in it.
Then skim plaster over the top.
It's easy to cut a groove in the plasterboard.
But I dont want to cut into the brick if its not necessary
Could I use some kind of cable clips
to nail the cable to the brick?
Then scrim tape over the top of the groove?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Wall_chasi ng

I just wedged mine in there with matchsticks and plastered over it anyway..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2014 21:51, george - dicegeorge wrote:
I have stuck plasterboard to a brick wall with pink foam.
But I want to hide a ring main cable in it.
Then skim plaster over the top.
It's easy to cut a groove in the plasterboard.
But I dont want to cut into the brick if its not necessary
Could I use some kind of cable clips
to nail the cable to the brick?
Then scrim tape over the top of the groove?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Wall_chasi ng

helps a bit but doesnt have enough detail

Suggestions please

With the depth of the foam and the PB you would probably have space to
add the occasional cable clip to keep it in place prior to plastering.

Failing that, a wide headed clout nail beside the cable can retain it.
Also a blob of hot melt glue is another quick easy way of tacking it in
place. Then backfill with bonding plaster, scrim and skim.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2014 21:51, george - dicegeorge wrote:
I have stuck plasterboard to a brick wall with pink foam.
But I want to hide a ring main cable in it.
Then skim plaster over the top.
It's easy to cut a groove in the plasterboard.
But I dont want to cut into the brick if its not necessary
Could I use some kind of cable clips
to nail the cable to the brick?
Then scrim tape over the top of the groove?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Wall_chasi ng

helps a bit but doesnt have enough detail

Suggestions please

[george]

I know it doesn't help, but I can't help wondering why you didn't
install the cable before sticking the plasterboard to the wall - so that
it would live in the gap between wall and plasterboard.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 17, 2014 9:51:02 PM UTC, wrote:

I have stuck plasterboard to a brick wall with pink foam.
But I want to hide a ring main cable in it.
Then skim plaster over the top.
It's easy to cut a groove in the plasterboard.
But I dont want to cut into the brick if its not necessary
Could I use some kind of cable clips
to nail the cable to the brick?
Then scrim tape over the top of the groove?
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Wall_chasi ng
helps a bit but doesnt have enough detail
Suggestions please
[george]

Cutting the chase with a stanley knife, with blade set at right depth it wont touch the bricks.

NT