Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Hiding screws with taper edge plasterboard

Following on from a previous post I'm still at the prep stage of replacing
my kitchen ceiling. To try and avoid the expense of getting a plasterer in
I'm going to have a go at using taper edge boards and fill/sand the joins
(if it turns out poo I can always get the pro in)

Apologies if this is a stupid question but how do I go about hiding the
screw heads in the middle of a board. All the posts I've seen here say to
try and avoid tearing the paper but presumably if I screw deep enough to
hide the screw head then this will be unavoidable. Do I just whack the
screws in and cover with a little filler or is there some other technique
that you use.

Cheers

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Apr, 21:33, "Jim" wrote:
Following on from a previous post I'm still at the prep stage of replacing
my kitchen ceiling. To try and avoid the expense of getting a plasterer in
I'm going to have a go at using taper edge boards and fill/sand the joins
(if it turns out poo I can always get the pro in)

Apologies if this is a stupid question but how do I go about hiding the
screw heads in the middle of a board. All the posts I've seen here say to
try and avoid tearing the paper but presumably if I screw deep enough to
hide the screw head then this will be unavoidable. Do I just whack the
screws in and cover with a little filler or is there some other technique
that you use.

Cheers

Jim

Jim,
You should be able to get the screws in so the head sits just under
the surface without doing too much damage. I'm no pro and I did a good
job on this first time round - careful setting of the clutch on your
screwdriver does the trick. You'll still need to cover with a little
joint filler.
R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You should be able to get the screws in so the head sits just under
the surface without doing too much damage. I'm no pro and I did a good
job on this first time round - careful setting of the clutch on *your
screwdriver does the trick. You'll still need to cover with a little
joint filler.
R.

Yes and you can buy a little collet that fits on to the end of a drive
bit to stop the screw going in to far.
Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:

Apologies if this is a stupid question but how do I go about hiding the

Actually quite a good question ;-)

screw heads in the middle of a board. All the posts I've seen here say to
try and avoid tearing the paper but presumably if I screw deep enough to
hide the screw head then this will be unavoidable. Do I just whack the
screws in and cover with a little filler or is there some other technique
that you use.

Use the shrouded bits and the correct bugle headed screws and you will
find they set themselves just below the surface of the board, but
without tearing the paper surface. You can then fill them as you fill
the tapered joints. (here is another area where screws outperform nails
- the screw head acts as a key to hold the filler in place.

--
Cheers,

John.

Rock drilling tools--DTH hammer and bit, open pit, surface, underground ming, quarrying, tunnelling equipment, drill rod, drag bit, taper rod,taper bit, water well drilling, button bit, thread bit, shank adapter for rock drills, drill tube, drill pip [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 13th 06 09:50 AM
Tapered edge plasterboard kram UK diy 5 December 4th 05 12:42 AM
Sheetmetal screws, chassis screws, fastening idears Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 3 November 9th 05 06:29 AM
trex-hiding screws Pykirk Woodworking 5 November 18th 03 05:09 PM
2 Morse taper extender to 3 taper, then 1 inch threading die holder Doug Goncz Metalworking 5 October 21st 03 12:00 PM