Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Keeping Pipe Insulation in place

Planning to spend a few hours over the weekend crawling under the house
to insulate some of the central heating pipes.

Going to use these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/economy-pi...5mm-x-1m/72357 (and
the 22mm equivalent).

.... but how to I fix it so it stays and doesn't fall/move? Was thinking
about insulation tape (e.g.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/workpro-in...m-x-33m/94122),
or cable ties.

Am I of the right track
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2014 16:58, JoeJoe wrote:
Planning to spend a few hours over the weekend crawling under the house
to insulate some of the central heating pipes.

Going to use these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/economy-pi...5mm-x-1m/72357 (and
the 22mm equivalent).

... but how to I fix it so it stays and doesn't fall/move? Was thinking
about insulation tape (e.g.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/workpro-in...m-x-33m/94122),
or cable ties.

Am I of the right track

Depends what you mean by keeping it in place but I used Gaffer Tape on
mine. Wrapped it around it so that it couldn't come off along the seam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...

Planning to spend a few hours over the weekend crawling under the house to
insulate some of the central heating pipes.

Going to use these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/economy-pi...5mm-x-1m/72357 (and the
22mm equivalent).

... but how to I fix it so it stays and doesn't fall/move? Was thinking
about insulation tape (e.g.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/workpro-in...m-x-33m/94122),
or cable ties.

Am I of the right track

I've always used Ty-Wraps (Zip Ties) - the nylon cable ties. Cheap, durable
and easy to fix

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2014 17:24, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...

Planning to spend a few hours over the weekend crawling under the
house to insulate some of the central heating pipes.

Going to use these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/economy-pi...5mm-x-1m/72357 (and
the 22mm equivalent).

... but how to I fix it so it stays and doesn't fall/move? Was
thinking about insulation tape (e.g.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/workpro-in...m-x-33m/94122),
or cable ties.

Am I of the right track

I've always used Ty-Wraps (Zip Ties) - the nylon cable ties. Cheap,
durable and easy to fix

Andrew

cable ties are fine as long as you don't crush the pipe insulation.....

Personally, I'd look at aluminium foil wrap tape wrapped in a spiral,
that will give a reflective layer on top of the foam insulation so the
foil tape will serve two purposes, hold the insulation together and
provide a reflector as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2014 17:24, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...

Planning to spend a few hours over the weekend crawling under the
house to insulate some of the central heating pipes.

Going to use these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/economy-pi...5mm-x-1m/72357 (and
the 22mm equivalent).

... but how to I fix it so it stays and doesn't fall/move? Was
thinking about insulation tape (e.g.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/workpro-in...m-x-33m/94122),
or cable ties.

Am I of the right track

I've always used Ty-Wraps (Zip Ties) - the nylon cable ties. Cheap,
durable and easy to fix

Andrew

+1 to that, just not too tight. The problem with tape is you have to
have the right stuf, or it just dries out and falls off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:58:33 PM UTC, JoeJoe wrote:

Planning to spend a few hours over the weekend crawling under the house
to insulate some of the central heating pipes.
Going to use these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/economy-pi...5mm-x-1m/72357 (and
the 22mm equivalent).
... but how to I fix it so it stays and doesn't fall/move? Was thinking
about insulation tape (e.g.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/workpro-in...m-x-33m/94122),
or cable ties.
Am I of the right track

Tapes fall off in time. It does take longer tying string but it lasts - if kept dry. Under a house, bits of scrap copper wire are one option. Perhaps nylon ties last, I dont know.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2014 16:58, JoeJoe wrote:
Planning to spend a few hours over the weekend crawling under the house
to insulate some of the central heating pipes.

Going to use these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/economy-pi...5mm-x-1m/72357 (and
the 22mm equivalent).

... but how to I fix it so it stays and doesn't fall/move? Was thinking
about insulation tape (e.g.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/workpro-in...m-x-33m/94122),
or cable ties.

Am I of the right track

Do they no longer sell tape specifically to run along the split in the
insulation? That is what I used 20 years ago and it is still in place.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JoeJoe writes:
Planning to spend a few hours over the weekend crawling under the house
to insulate some of the central heating pipes.

Going to use these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/economy-pi...5mm-x-1m/72357 (and
the 22mm equivalent).

... but how to I fix it so it stays and doesn't fall/move? Was thinking
about insulation tape (e.g.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/workpro-in...m-x-33m/94122),
or cable ties.

Am I of the right track

I did mine using unsplit insulation, but that has to be threaded on
as the pipework is constructed. (It was semi split, but I didn't
break it open.)

It doesn't look like you can buy it anymore for standard plumbing,
only for aircon type applications. 12 years ago, Wickes and builders
merchants all had it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
JoeJoe writes:
Planning to spend a few hours over the weekend crawling under the house
to insulate some of the central heating pipes.

Going to use these:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/economy-pi...5mm-x-1m/72357 (and
the 22mm equivalent).

... but how to I fix it so it stays and doesn't fall/move? Was thinking
about insulation tape (e.g.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/workpro-in...m-x-33m/94122),
or cable ties.

Am I of the right track

I did mine using unsplit insulation, but that has to be threaded on
as the pipework is constructed. (It was semi split, but I didn't
break it open.)

It doesn't look like you can buy it anymore for standard plumbing,
only for aircon type applications. 12 years ago, Wickes and builders
merchants all had it.

Remember the stuff that was like carpet under felt and you had to wrap it
round?
I do, bloody awful stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe writes:
[...]

That's what I have on the pipes that have insulation.

What's the stuff like? It's in good condition, but is it worth
replacing whilst I am at it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2014 18:28, Stephen wrote:
On 13/03/2014 17:24, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

This is what I do, although I just tend to run it down the slit rather
than in a spiral.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
JoeJoe writes:
[...]

I honestly do not know how efficient it is. It was over 40 years ago last
time I used it.