crazysounds

Default Insulation in a Strange Place Need Advice

Hi,

The old homeowners built a bay window in the kitchen. It looks great but
the floor gets cold. I went outside and looked where they built the bay
window. There is only plywood and no crawl space or foundation under this
window so the floor essentially has no insulation. I'm eager to staple
insulation to the plywood but I'm afraid that animals may tear it out. Does
anyone have a suggestion.

Tom Baker

"crazysounds" wrote in message et...
Hi,

The old homeowners built a bay window in the kitchen. It looks great but
the floor gets cold. I went outside and looked where they built the bay
window. There is only plywood and no crawl space or foundation under this
window so the floor essentially has no insulation. I'm eager to staple
insulation to the plywood but I'm afraid that animals may tear it out. Does
anyone have a suggestion.

Is there room between the floor joists?
I'm guessing that the plywood you see outside encloses the floor
joists.
Also, I would guess that a lot of cold air falls down from the windows
and pools in the bay.
Window coverings or a fan to move the pool of cool air might help.
TB
Dave Mitton

Why only 3/4?
Use an inch or two of Styrofoam, plug any vertical holes, and cover the whole
thing with another piece of plywood.

Dave.

loft insulation DIY Novice UK diy 16 October 22nd 04 09:33 AM
Adding Attic Insulation JAG Home Repair 21 January 30th 04 05:46 PM
Loft insulation Conrad Edwards UK diy 0 August 25th 03 09:57 PM