Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FCU in bathroom

Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Think so - as long as there's a switch outside the bathroom or a
pull-switch inside - but not one on the FCU itself. It's the way that
electric towel rails seem to be connected in TravelLodges, etc. [1]

[1] Or maybe how they *used* to do it. They don't seem to use electric
towel rails at all now, and the outlets are blanked off. Maybe the regs
have changed - or maybe they just want to save electricity?!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Where is it going to be placed in regard to the bath or shower?
More than 3 metres from the bath/shower, and you can fit a socket
outlet.
Less than that, and it will have to be a non-switched FCU, and outside
of the bath/shower zones.
It must be RCD protected.
And be suitable for use in a bathroom.
--
Alan
To reply by mail, change '+' to 'plus'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

* FCU Federal Credit Union
***** FCU Florida Credit Union
**** FCU Fan Coil Unit
**** FCU Fuel Control Unit
**** FCU Flexor Carpi Ulnaris
**** FCU Flight Control Unit
*** FCU Familial Cold Urticaria
*** FCU Fire Control Unit
*** FCU Flow Control Unit
** FCU Field Camera Unit
** FCU Fare Construction Unit (airfare)
** FCU Field Communication Unit
** FCU Feedback Control Unit
** FCU Fuel Consumption Unit
* FCU Filter/Combiner Unit
* FCU Fussball Club Unterstrass (Zurich, Swiss soccer club)
* FCU Fluid Cooling Unit
* FCU Foals and Calves University (gaming)
* FCU Formation Continue Universitaire (French: Continuing Education
University)
* FCU Foster Care Unit (various locations)
* FCU Fukuyama City University (Hiroshima, Japan)
* FCU Fused Connection Unit
* FCU Financial Credit Union (various locations)
* FCU Feng Chia University (Taiwan)
* FCU Ferrovia Centrale Umbra (Italian: Umbrian Central Railway)
* FCU Fact Checkers Unit (web series)
* FCU Faith Community United (various locations)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Where is it going to be placed in regard to the bath or shower?
More than 3 metres from the bath/shower, and you can fit a socket
outlet.
Less than that, and it will have to be a non-switched FCU, and outside
of the bath/shower zones.
It must be RCD protected.
And be suitable for use in a bathroom.

Blimey you people have got it tough,Almost every modern bathroom in
Australia has a GPO (general purpose outlet)(power point)or two

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Yup so long as its appropriate for the situation, and in zone 2 or
outside the zones.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Roger Mills

Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Think so - as long as there's a switch outside the bathroom or a
pull-switch inside - but not one on the FCU itself. It's the way that
electric towel rails seem to be connected in TravelLodges, etc. [1]
[1] Or maybe how they *used* to do it. They don't seem to use
electric towel rails at all now, and the outlets are blanked off.
Maybe the regs have changed - or maybe they just want to save
electricity?!

We've got switches for the bathroom underfloor heating and towel rail.
Both in the airing cupboard. All installed in the last 6 months.

My understanding is that outside of the zones, switched FCU's are
allowed.

Supported by this pdf on the TLC site.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Firstlight/Zones.pdf

Though personally feel happier with the switches out of the way in a
cupboard where possible
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 12:04:08 AM UTC, F Murtz wrote:
Blimey you people have got it tough,Almost every modern bathroom in
Australia has a GPO (general purpose outlet)(power point)or two

Is that for plugging in the beer cooler or the little vacuum device for sucking up spiders?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2014 22:21 Roger Mills wrote:

Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Think so - as long as there's a switch outside the bathroom or a
pull-switch inside - but not one on the FCU itself. It's the way that
electric towel rails seem to be connected in TravelLodges, etc. [1]

[1] Or maybe how they *used* to do it. They don't seem to use electric
towel rails at all now, and the outlets are blanked off. Maybe the regs
have changed - or maybe they just want to save electricity?!

They seem to be stripping out as much as they can. It'll be 'bring your
own bed' next.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 March 2014 10:42:46 UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 12:04:08 AM UTC, F Murtz wrote:

Blimey you people have got it tough,Almost every modern bathroom in

Australia has a GPO (general purpose outlet)(power point)or two

Is that for plugging in the beer cooler or the little vacuum device for sucking up spiders?

&/or penis/ego enlargement...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:30:38 PM UTC, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I

said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

I was in Iceland a couple of weeks ago. The bathroom was a wet room cubicle thing (cheapo hotel). The light switch in the cubicle was also an electrical outlet. Every morning I would be standing in about quarter of an inch of water groping around the socket trying to find the light switch (heck, you could have used the switch whilst taking a shower if you were insane enough).

We really are odd with our OTT bathroom leccy safety in the UK.

Philip
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2014 01:02, John Rumm wrote:
Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Yup so long as its appropriate for the situation, and in zone 2 or
outside the zones.

Only ELV switchgear and isolated shaver sockets are allowed in Zone 2,
so a mains FCU must be beyond the zones.

If the appliance to be connected is portable its flex may need to be
shortened to prevent it being placed in any Zone, although it could be
allowed in Zone 2 if it meets IPX4, and is otherwise suitable for the
location (check with manufacturer).

And the feeding circuit must be 30 mA RCD-protected, or upgraded thereto.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
F Murtz wrote:
Just put acronym FCU in bing and that is what I got but I did find out
be putting FCU electrical on bing,I think it must be a British thing.

Most here would understand what it is. This being a UK DIY group by the
title.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2014 13:28, Andy Wade wrote:
On 05/03/2014 01:02, John Rumm wrote:
Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Yup so long as its appropriate for the situation, and in zone 2 or
outside the zones.

Only ELV switchgear and isolated shaver sockets are allowed in Zone 2,
so a mains FCU must be beyond the zones.

Yup, my mistake, ELV and IPX4...

If the appliance to be connected is portable its flex may need to be
shortened to prevent it being placed in any Zone, although it could be
allowed in Zone 2 if it meets IPX4, and is otherwise suitable for the
location (check with manufacturer).

And the feeding circuit must be 30 mA RCD-protected, or upgraded thereto.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Isn't a bathroom about the only area that is still notifiable under Part P?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
Is that for plugging in the beer cooler or the little vacuum device for
sucking up spiders?

Don't you have women there?

Not /very/ often, no, but more often than I get poisonous spiders.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Don't you have women there? ours would go mad without somewhere to plug
the hair drier in.(and shavers for the men)

Shavers go into a transformer isolated shaver socket...

If you want to dry your hair, then go somewhere other than the bathroom ;-)

Or fit a suitably large isolating transformer? Wonder what the regs would
make of that. ;-)

--
*According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2014 10:50, F wrote:
On 04/03/2014 22:21 Roger Mills wrote:

Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Think so - as long as there's a switch outside the bathroom or a
pull-switch inside - but not one on the FCU itself. It's the way that
electric towel rails seem to be connected in TravelLodges, etc. [1]

[1] Or maybe how they *used* to do it. They don't seem to use electric
towel rails at all now, and the outlets are blanked off. Maybe the regs
have changed - or maybe they just want to save electricity?!

They seem to be stripping out as much as they can. It'll be 'bring your
own bed' next.

Almost. I always take my own fridge (electric cool box) in order to keep
milk and other perishables in the room.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2014 10:50, F wrote:
On 04/03/2014 22:21 Roger Mills wrote:

Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Think so - as long as there's a switch outside the bathroom or a
pull-switch inside - but not one on the FCU itself. It's the way that
electric towel rails seem to be connected in TravelLodges, etc. [1]

[1] Or maybe how they *used* to do it. They don't seem to use electric
towel rails at all now, and the outlets are blanked off. Maybe the regs
have changed - or maybe they just want to save electricity?!

They seem to be stripping out as much as they can. It'll be 'bring your
own bed' next.

I've been booked into hotels in France where I know that I need to take
an air bed with me, because the supplied mattresses are soft foam about
an inch thick. I hate sleeping on the bed base, and even borrowing the
mattress off the other bed in the room is no help.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We really are odd in electrocuting a much smaller percentage of the
population each year ;-)

Apart from the minor little blips upwards since 2008 in both domestic
and non-domestic fatalities shown in DCLG's assessment of Part P in
December 2012

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2014 18:35, Robin wrote:
We really are odd in electrocuting a much smaller percentage of the
population each year ;-)

Apart from the minor little blips upwards since 2008 in both domestic
and non-domestic fatalities shown in DCLG's assessment of Part P in
December 2012

As predicted here IIRC ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

A.Lee wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de
hum. I said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Where is it going to be placed in regard to the bath or shower?
More than 3 metres from the bath/shower, and you can fit a socket
outlet.
Less than that, and it will have to be a non-switched FCU, and outside
of the bath/shower zones.
It must be RCD protected.
And be suitable for use in a bathroom.

I would have no problem with installing a normal switched fused spur outside
the zones.

--

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
Don't you have women there? ours would go mad without somewhere
to plug the hair drier in.

What, and give them an excuse to lock themselves in there *even*
*longer*?

Women obviously don't have bladders and so don't realise that
other people do have, that's the only explanation I can think of.

jgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 14:54:17 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article om,
F Murtz wrote:
Just put acronym FCU in bing and that is what I got but I did find out
be putting FCU electrical on bing,I think it must be a British thing.

Most here would understand what it is. This being a UK DIY group by the
title.

Yes, I usually manage to figure out most of the new to me acronyms by
the context (context is everything and if that's not enough, GIYF[1]).

In this case I had to resort to google to figure it out.

[1] Not to be confused with the acronym "GIYF!" where the pling
changes everything bar the word 'google'. :-)
--
Regards, J B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johny B Good wrote:
I usually manage to figure out most of the new to me acronyms by
the context (context is everything and if that's not enough, GIYF[1]).

In this case I had to resort to google to figure it out.

[1] Not to be confused with the acronym "GIYF!" where the pling
changes everything bar the word 'google'. :-)

Alternatively, JFGI.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 10:59:52 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Now can you provide a similar list for "de hum"? These people who talk
in code will not get help from anyone who doesn't know what it means.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2014 11:55, Tim Streater wrote:

Shouldn't take more than 1.85 secs to decode "de hum", with "bathroom"
as the prime clue.

Its code for extractor fan isn't it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 07:26:15 +0000, Mike Barnes
wrote:

Johny B Good wrote:
I usually manage to figure out most of the new to me acronyms by
the context (context is everything and if that's not enough, GIYF[1]).

In this case I had to resort to google to figure it out.

[1] Not to be confused with the acronym "GIYF!" where the pling
changes everything bar the word 'google'. :-)

Alternatively, JFGI.

Nah, that's just too obvious. I prefer the more 'subtle' approach. It
makes the advicee exercise their 'thinking muscle', thereby reducing
the 'flab' in this body part. You'd only end up 'spoon feeding' the
'victim'...er advicee.
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 11:55:25 +0000, Tim Streater

wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

[28 lines snipped]

Now can you provide a similar list for "de hum"? These people who talk
in code will not get help from anyone who doesn't know what it means.

Do we really want help from anyone too stupid to work it out from
context?

Shouldn't take more than 1.85 secs to decode "de hum", with "bathroom"
as the prime clue.

I figured that out easily enough even though that's a contraction
I've never come across before.

It just struck me as being a 'half assed' attempt at laziness in the
avoidabce of typing it out in full. So lazy in fact, that he failed to
use the equally obscure, but more succint "DH" acronym which would
have shaved off even more energy and effort.

Obviously, the OP is no 'expert in laziness' and made the usual
'rookie mistake'. :-)
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Andrew May wrote:
Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de
hum. I said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Isn't a bathroom about the only area that is still notifiable under
Part P?

Pretty much so. The full list of notifiable works is here

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ac/Notifiable.JPG

--

Adam