Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FCU in bathroom

On 06/03/2014 10:39, Dave W wrote:
On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 10:59:52 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

* FCU Federal Credit Union
***** FCU Florida Credit Union
**** FCU Fan Coil Unit
**** FCU Fuel Control Unit
**** FCU Flexor Carpi Ulnaris
**** FCU Flight Control Unit
*** FCU Familial Cold Urticaria
*** FCU Fire Control Unit
*** FCU Flow Control Unit
** FCU Field Camera Unit
** FCU Fare Construction Unit (airfare)
** FCU Field Communication Unit
** FCU Feedback Control Unit
** FCU Fuel Consumption Unit
* FCU Filter/Combiner Unit
* FCU Fussball Club Unterstrass (Zurich, Swiss soccer club)
* FCU Fluid Cooling Unit
* FCU Foals and Calves University (gaming)
* FCU Formation Continue Universitaire (French: Continuing Education
University)
* FCU Foster Care Unit (various locations)
* FCU Fukuyama City University (Hiroshima, Japan)
* FCU Fused Connection Unit
* FCU Financial Credit Union (various locations)
* FCU Feng Chia University (Taiwan)
* FCU Ferrovia Centrale Umbra (Italian: Umbrian Central Railway)
* FCU Fact Checkers Unit (web series)
* FCU Faith Community United (various locations)

Now can you provide a similar list for "de hum"? These people who talk
in code will not get help from anyone who doesn't know what it means.

Shirley everyone knows what a de hum is?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 18:13:03 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 06/03/2014 14:09, Johny B Good wrote:
On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 07:26:15 +0000, Mike Barnes
wrote:

Johny B Good wrote:
I usually manage to figure out most of the new to me acronyms by
the context (context is everything and if that's not enough, GIYF[1]).

In this case I had to resort to google to figure it out.

[1] Not to be confused with the acronym "GIYF!" where the pling
changes everything bar the word 'google'. :-)

Alternatively, JFGI.

Nah, that's just too obvious. I prefer the more 'subtle' approach. It
makes the advicee exercise their 'thinking muscle', thereby reducing
the 'flab' in this body part. You'd only end up 'spoon feeding' the
'victim'...er advicee.

GIFFS?

That's still not subtle enough. You might just as well have used
"GI4FS". :-)
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Shirley everyone knows what a de hum is?

Air freshener?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That reminds me I never got around to asking if whoever drafted that in
the terms "the replacement of a consumer unit" was providing for
pedantic DIY-ers to *add* a new consumer unit; to transfer to it all
but, say, one lighting circuit; and so not to replace a CU and not need
a building notice etc

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Thursday, March 6, 2014 10:34:43 AM UTC, F Murtz wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

On 05/03/2014 10:59,
wrote:

I was in Iceland a couple of weeks ago. The bathroom was a wet room

cubicle thing (cheapo hotel). The light switch in the cubicle was

also an electrical outlet. Every morning I would be standing in about

quarter of an inch of water groping around the socket trying to find

the light switch (heck, you could have used the switch whilst taking

a shower if you were insane enough).

We really are odd with our OTT bathroom leccy safety in the UK.

We really are odd in electrocuting a much smaller percentage of the

population each year ;-)

I very much doubt that electrical deaths in bathrooms are much higher in

Australia than UK even allowing that we have power points in most bathrooms.

Well... At least in the UK you are still allowed to do some D-I-Y leccy work.

Legal wise DIY electrical work is a no no in Australia, but you can buy
all the stuff needed in the supermarket or hardware without a license so
people do there own everywhere.(same with plumbing which is also
supposed to be a no no).

I think in most of the world if you do something stupid and hurt yourself then that is down to you being stupid. In the UK the "Something must be done about it" brigade / Nanny state means you must be protected from yourself.

Philip

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 18:13:45 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Now can you provide a similar list for "de hum"? These people who talk
in code will not get help from anyone who doesn't know what it means.

Shirley everyone knows what a de hum is?

A v. large 4x4 on Jamaica?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 22:21:57 -0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Think so - as long as there's a switch outside the bathroom or a
pull-switch inside - but not one on the FCU itself. It's the way that
electric towel rails seem to be connected in TravelLodges, etc. [1]

[1] Or maybe how they *used* to do it. They don't seem to use electric
towel rails at all now, and the outlets are blanked off. Maybe the regs
have changed - or maybe they just want to save electricity?!

What's happened is people think electricity is somehow different to what it use to be. If anything it's SAFER because of ELCBs etc, so there is no need to tighten up where we put sockets.

--
A statistician took a standard deviation from his normal way home because the mean of the population was after him.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 10:50:40 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 04/03/2014 22:21 Roger Mills wrote:

Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Think so - as long as there's a switch outside the bathroom or a
pull-switch inside - but not one on the FCU itself. It's the way that
electric towel rails seem to be connected in TravelLodges, etc. [1]

[1] Or maybe how they *used* to do it. They don't seem to use electric
towel rails at all now, and the outlets are blanked off. Maybe the regs
have changed - or maybe they just want to save electricity?!

They seem to be stripping out as much as they can. It'll be 'bring your
own bed' next.

It's meant to be somewhere CHEAP to spend a night on a journey, not a luxury hotel. If you want that, find a hotel.
Myself I have no problem sleeping in the car.

--
"Hi, It's a great day and I'm out enjoying it right now. I hope you are too. The thought for the day is 'Share the love.'" BEEP.
"Um, yeah, hello? This is the VD clinic calling. Your test results are back and you're positive. Stop sharing the love."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 00:04:08 -0000, F Murtz wrote:

A.Lee wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Where is it going to be placed in regard to the bath or shower?
More than 3 metres from the bath/shower, and you can fit a socket
outlet.
Less than that, and it will have to be a non-switched FCU, and outside
of the bath/shower zones.
It must be RCD protected.
And be suitable for use in a bathroom.

Blimey you people have got it tough,Almost every modern bathroom in
Australia has a GPO (general purpose outlet)(power point)or two

The Aussies are a more logical race and aren't little scaredy-pants like the Brits. IF you've got an ELCB, you can't hurt yourself even if it was IN the bath!

--
Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 10:42:46 -0000, wrote:

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 12:04:08 AM UTC, F Murtz wrote:
Blimey you people have got it tough,Almost every modern bathroom in
Australia has a GPO (general purpose outlet)(power point)or two

Is that for plugging in the beer cooler or the little vacuum device for sucking up spiders?

I bought a motorised barbecue cleaner from Australia once, it was pathetic.

--
Girl with skirt up run faster than boy with trousers down!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 10:52:16 -0000, Jim K wrote:

On Wednesday, 5 March 2014 10:42:46 UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 12:04:08 AM UTC, F Murtz wrote:

Blimey you people have got it tough,Almost every modern bathroom in

Australia has a GPO (general purpose outlet)(power point)or two

Is that for plugging in the beer cooler or the little vacuum device for sucking up spiders?

&/or penis/ego enlargement...

Do Aussies have small cocks?

--
Girl with skirt up run faster than boy with trousers down!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 15:52:49 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Don't you have women there? ours would go mad without somewhere to plug
the hair drier in.(and shavers for the men)

Shavers go into a transformer isolated shaver socket...

If you want to dry your hair, then go somewhere other than the bathroom ;-)

Or fit a suitably large isolating transformer? Wonder what the regs would
make of that. ;-)

You're being far too sensible.

--
A group of cowboys were branding some cattle.
While they were out the cook saw a sheep tied to a post. Thinking it was for that nights dinner he cooked it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 22:21:33 -0000, wrote:

F Murtz wrote:
Don't you have women there? ours would go mad without somewhere
to plug the hair drier in.

What, and give them an excuse to lock themselves in there *even*
*longer*?

Women obviously don't have bladders and so don't realise that
other people do have, that's the only explanation I can think of.

Why do you have a house with only one toilet?

--
A group of cowboys were branding some cattle.
While they were out the cook saw a sheep tied to a post. Thinking it was for that nights dinner he cooked it.
That night after dinner the cowboys were all sulking and ignoring the cook. He pulled one aside and asked, "Did I screw up the cooking?"
"No", the cowboy replied, "You cooked up the screwing."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 18:06:52 -0000, ARW wrote:

Andrew May wrote:
Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de
hum. I said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Isn't a bathroom about the only area that is still notifiable under
Part P?

Pretty much so. The full list of notifiable works is here

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ac/Notifiable.JPG

What, so technically I have to notify the council when I stick a shaver socket in my own bathroom?

--
If Christians want us to believe in a Redeemer, let them act redeemed. -- Voltaire
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 00:45:18 -0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article om,
F Murtz writes:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

* FCU Fused Connection Unit

I thought it was a fused CONSUMER unit?

--
I called a company and asked to speak to Bob. The person
who answered said, "Bob is on vacation. Would you like to
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Johny B Good wrote:
I usually manage to figure out most of the new to me acronyms by
the context (context is everything and if that's not enough, GIYF[1]).

In this case I had to resort to google to figure it out.

[1] Not to be confused with the acronym "GIYF!" where the pling
changes everything bar the word 'google'. :-)

Alternatively, JFGI.

Nah, that's just too obvious. I prefer the more 'subtle' approach. It
makes the advicee exercise their 'thinking muscle', thereby reducing
the 'flab' in this body part. You'd only end up 'spoon feeding' the
'victim'...er advicee.

GIFFS?

That's still not subtle enough. You might just as well have used
"GI4FS". :-)

Nah, they'll just think you misspelt GIFS, as in a picture format.

--
A budget is just a method of worrying before you spend money, as well as afterwards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

My second guess was right. My first guess was some kind of large 4wd vehicle.

--
What does Michael Jackson like about twenty-eight year olds?
The fact that there are twenty of them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 13:44:00 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

On 06/03/2014 11:55, Tim Streater wrote:

Shouldn't take more than 1.85 secs to decode "de hum", with "bathroom"
as the prime clue.

Its code for extractor fan isn't it?

Incorrectly, yes. A dehumidifier ABSORBS water, not blasts it outside.

--
I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -- Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:30:38 PM UTC, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de hum. I
said no. Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Better to fit a fan, preferably internally thermal shuttered re draughts & mitigating some of the recent wind generated noise.

Zones for wet room style showers with level access:
- Where a shower is open, with no basin, there is NO Zone 2.
- Instead Zone 1 extends 1.2m from the shower OUTLET(*) in an arc & said arc folds around obstacles in a secondary arc.
- A socket MAY be placed within 3m of the END of the Zone 1's arc.

At first glance that sounds like no room can have a socket, wrong:
#1 - A bathroom of 16-20m2 is usually big enough to have sockets on the diagonally opposing wall corner.
#2 - Many appliances may be suitably fitted by SFCU, rather than a socket. As is typically done in higher end hotels hard wiring everything (in some cases I note they use a cord outlet and SFCU, in case regs go more European)..

Technically you can argue no socket within 300mm of a wall corner, but in that case it comes down to frequency of unplugging - you can always remote switch the socket should that be the actual issue.

Technically some argue any wiring accessory may be subject to condensation, where the surface temperature of the material falls below the dew point. This is avoided by a) sufficient ventilation and b) not fitting such accessories to uninsulated exterior walls (colleague did this after a BCO brought it up, along with using an AI with his own electrician to avoid the BCOs).

Note, adding doors to even a level access wet room area in a bathroom changes the zones. However, designing for no doors being present may be good practice. Alternatively as a colleague did, proximity sensors on doors open operates a shut off valve on the shower. Adds another layer of protection (and ummm, failure risk).

The big problem remains portable appliances - there is NO regulation requiring cables be reduced in length to respect zones. However since portable appliances cause the VAST MAJORITY of deaths in the UK (something our dimwit MPs and their lobbyists can't admit) it would be wise to hard wire as much as necessary. Colleagues water interlock on the doors is a neat idea, quality solenoid valves and proximity sensors are not cheap though.

A very large number of houses in the UK lack proper ventilation - re kitchen & bathroom. Short run & thermally shuttered fans do make a difference.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Andrew May wrote:
Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de
hum. I said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Isn't a bathroom about the only area that is still notifiable under
Part P?

Pretty much so. The full list of notifiable works is here

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ac/Notifiable.JPG

What, so technically I have to notify the council when I stick a shaver
socket in my own bathroom?

Notify, as in submit (and pay for) a building notice, yes.

....or employ someone who is a member of a scheme that allows them to
self certify the work.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:06:52 PM UTC, wrote:
Andrew May wrote:
Isn't a bathroom about the only area that is still notifiable under
Part P?

Pretty much so. The full list of notifiable works is here
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ac/Notifiable.JPG

The SI says "special location" means-
"(a) WITHIN a room containing a bath or shower, the SPACE surrounding a bath tap or shower head, where the SPACE extends-" and goes on to define the vertical Zone & horizontal Zone (without using that term).

Interesting wording when you consider partitions & doors, definition of a room, very large rooms etc.

Quite why they could not just write "within Zones & their limitations as defined by BS7671" is just typical.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Andrew May wrote:
Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de
hum. I said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Isn't a bathroom about the only area that is still notifiable under
Part P?

Pretty much so. The full list of notifiable works is here

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ac/Notifiable.JPG

What, so technically I have to notify the council when I stick a shaver
socket in my own bathroom?

Notify, as in submit (and pay for) a building notice, yes.

...or employ someone who is a member of a scheme that allows them to
self certify the work.

Like anyone bothers with that, that's absurd.

--
Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

news
wrote:

Andrew May wrote:
Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de
hum. I said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Isn't a bathroom about the only area that is still notifiable under
Part P?

Pretty much so. The full list of notifiable works is here

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ac/Notifiable.JPG

What, so technically I have to notify the council when I stick a shaver
socket in my own bathroom?

It would depend where you wanted to stick the shaver point" If it is outside
the zones then you would not need to notify.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
wrote:

Andrew May wrote:
Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de
hum. I said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Isn't a bathroom about the only area that is still notifiable under
Part P?

Pretty much so. The full list of notifiable works is here

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ac/Notifiable.JPG

What, so technically I have to notify the council when I stick a
shaver socket in my own bathroom?

It would depend where you wanted to stick the shaver point" If it is
outside the zones then you would not need to notify.

Umm.. What about a towel rail mounted in zone 2 but fed by surface
clipped flex from outside the zones?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2014-03-09, Tim Lamb wrote:
What, so technically I have to notify the council when I stick a
shaver socket in my own bathroom?

It would depend where you wanted to stick the shaver point" If it is
outside the zones then you would not need to notify.

Umm.. What about a towel rail mounted in zone 2 but fed by surface
clipped flex from outside the zones?

Or you could do what everyone with a brain does; ignore the rules. So
long as you don't do nonsense like putting sockets in shower cubicles,
who is going to know or care?

Prospective lodger so I'm trying to follow the rules:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2014 14:10 Uncle Peter wrote:

[...]

And we used them until they stripped them down to the bare bones. We use
Premier Travel Inn now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 2014-03-09, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , ARW
writes
"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 18:06:52 -0000, ARW
wrote:

Andrew May wrote:
[...]

I assume that you mean ignore the notification process but still follow the
17th edition regs.

I am all for DIYers ignoring the notification part as long as they do a safe
job.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In message , Huge
writes
On 2014-03-09, Tim Lamb wrote:
What, so technically I have to notify the council when I stick a
shaver socket in my own bathroom?

It would depend where you wanted to stick the shaver point" If it is
outside the zones then you would not need to notify.

Umm.. What about a towel rail mounted in zone 2 but fed by surface
clipped flex from outside the zones?

Or you could do what everyone with a brain does; ignore the rules. So
long as you don't do nonsense like putting sockets in shower cubicles,
who is going to know or care?

Prospective lodger so I'm trying to follow the rules:-)

A tricky one. The electrician could install the power point and leave the
customer to fit the towel rad. The customer could then install the rad in
zone 1.

If the rad is suitable for use in zone 2 then go for it. Points noted about
the lodger status.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 2014-03-09, ARW wrote:
"Huge" wrote in message

[37 lines snipped]

I assume that you mean ignore the notification process but still follow
the
17th edition regs.

Not necessarily.

The 16th edition was also safe -it just had less RCD circuits in the
bathroom.

In fact it was probably safer than the 17th edition due to the bonding
needed.

I am all for DIYers ignoring the notification part as long as they do a
safe
job.

I'm all for doing a safe job.

So am I most of the time:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2014 09:08, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , ARW
writes
wrote:

Andrew May wrote:
Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de
hum. I said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Isn't a bathroom about the only area that is still notifiable under
Part P?

Pretty much so. The full list of notifiable works is here

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ac/Notifiable.JPG

What, so technically I have to notify the council when I stick a
shaver socket in my own bathroom?

It would depend where you wanted to stick the shaver point" If it is
outside the zones then you would not need to notify.

Umm.. What about a towel rail mounted in zone 2 but fed by surface
clipped flex from outside the zones?

The appliance itself would still need to be (S)ELV and IPx4 though...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

o.uk...
wrote:

Andrew May wrote:
Customer asked if I could fit a socket in a bathroom to run a de
hum. I said no.

Is it OK regs wise to install a FCU & wire the de hum into that?

Isn't a bathroom about the only area that is still notifiable under
Part P?

Pretty much so. The full list of notifiable works is here

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/ac/Notifiable.JPG

What, so technically I have to notify the council when I stick a
shaver socket in my own bathroom?

It would depend where you wanted to stick the shaver point" If it is
outside the zones then you would not need to notify.

Umm.. What about a towel rail mounted in zone 2 but fed by surface
clipped flex from outside the zones?

The appliance itself would still need to be (S)ELV and IPx4 though...

No need for the SELV, it just needs to be suitable for zone 2. IPx4 should
be OK for that.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, March 7, 2014 2:11:31 PM UTC, Uncle Peter wrote:
The Aussies are a more logical race and aren't little scaredy-pants like the Brits. IF you've got an ELCB, you can't hurt yourself even if it was IN the bath!

I wouldn't like to try that. An ELCB (RCD) does nothing to reduce the magnitude of the current that flows through your body. It just stops it after a short time which is still long enough for the experience to be very unpleasant and quite possibly dangerous.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
news:O4SdnRBF7M5rFIHOnZ2dnUVZ7sKdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
wrote:

Andrew May wrote:
[...]

er.. Your pocket guide requires it to be *fixed, permanently connected
and suitable for zone 1 according to the manufacturers instructions*.
Doesn't mention SELV or is that implicit?

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 11:06:00 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

[...]

Snob :-P

--
Here are some actual maintenance complaints/problems, generally known as squawks, recently submitted by QANTAS Pilots to maintenance engineers. After attending to the squawks, maintenance crews are required to log the details of the action taken to solve the pilots' squawks.

Problem - Left inside main tyre almost needs replacement.
Solution - Almost replaced left inside main tyre.

Problem - Test flight OK, except autoland very rough.
Solution - Autoland not installed on this aircraft.

Problem - No. 2 propeller seeping prop fluid.
Solution - No. 2 propeller seepage normal. Nos. 1, 3 and 4 propellers lack normal seepage.

Problem - Something loose in cockpit.
Solution - Something tightened in cockpit.

Problem - Dead bugs on windshield.
Solution - Live bugs on backorder.

Problem - Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200-fpm descent.
Solution - Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

Problem - Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
Solution - Evidence removed.

Problem - DME volume unbelievably loud.
Solution - Volume set to more believable level.

Problem - Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
Solution - That's what they are there for!

Problem - IFF inoperative.
Solution - IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

Problem - Suspected crack in windscreen.
Solution - Suspect you're right.

Problem - Number 3 engine missing.
Solution - Engine found on right wing after brief search.

Problem - Aircraft handles funny.
Solution - Aircraft warned to "Straighten up, Fly Right, and Be Serious."

Problem - Target radar hums.
Solution - Reprogrammed target radar with words.

Problem - Mouse in cockpit.
Solution - Cat installed.

Defect: Seat cushion in 13F smells rotten.
Action: Fresh seat cushion on order.

Defect: Turn & slip indicator ball stuck in center during turns.
Action: Congratulations. You just made your first coordinated turn!

Defect: Whining sound heard on engine shutdown.
Action: Pilot removed from aircraft.

Defect: Pilot's clock inoperative.
Action: Wound clock.

Defect: Autopilot tends to drop a wing when fuel imbalance reaches 500 pounds.
Action: Flight manual limits maximum fuel imbalance to 300 pounds.

Defect: #2 ADF needle runs wild.
Action: Caught and tamed #2 ADF needle.

Defect: Unfamiliar noise coming from #2 engine.
Action: Engine run for four hours. Noise now familiar.

Defect: Noise coming from #2 engine. Sounds like man with little hammer.
Action: Took little hammer away from man in #2 engine.

Defect: Whining noise coming from #2 engine compartment.
Action: Returned little hammer to man in #2 engine.

Defect: Flight attendant cold at altitude.
Action: Ground checks OK.

Defect: 3 roaches in cabin.
Action: 1 roach killed, 1 wounded, 1 got away.

Defect: Weather radar went ape!
Action: Opened radar, let out ape, cleaned up mess!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-03-09, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , ARW
writes
wrote:

What, so technically I have to notify the council when I stick a
shaver socket in my own bathroom?

It would depend where you wanted to stick the shaver point" If it is
outside the zones then you would not need to notify.

Umm.. What about a towel rail mounted in zone 2 but fed by surface
clipped flex from outside the zones?

Or you could do what everyone with a brain does; ignore the rules. So
long as you don't do nonsense like putting sockets in shower cubicles,
who is going to know or care?

I assume that you mean ignore the notification process but still follow the
17th edition regs.

I am all for DIYers ignoring the notification part as long as they do a safe
job.

A bit of common sense makes it safe, you don't need to measure precisely for the regs.

--
"Boy, will I give YOU a haircut!" said Tom barbarously.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 18:17:26 -0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , ARW
writes
o.uk...

I can't believe you guys bother with all that ****.

--
When there's a will, I want to be in it!