Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Foreign currency - where to buy, here or there?

On 03 Mar 2014, Mike Lane grunted:

No. I just accept that the further east one travels in Europe, the
less likely cards are to be accepted.

Heh. Just back from 5 (awesome) days in Iceland - by far the furthest west
you can get in Europe! - and although I withdrew a wodge of cash at the
airport (on a purpose-obtained Saga Visa card; no exchange loading and no
interest payable!) I ended up having to use it all up on the last day, as
until then I literally had not spent a single Krone in cash - taxis,
sightseeing tours, supermarket, bars, the lot - all gladly took credit
cards.

The (correct) credit card is unequivocally the optimum way to pay for
anything overseas, basically. See www.moneysavingexpert.com for the
lowdown on that.

David

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/4/2014 2:33 PM, Lobster wrote:
On 03 Mar 2014, Mike Lane grunted:

No. I just accept that the further east one travels in Europe, the
less likely cards are to be accepted.

Heh. Just back from 5 (awesome) days in Iceland - by far the furthest west
you can get in Europe! - and although I withdrew a wodge of cash at the
airport (on a purpose-obtained Saga Visa card; no exchange loading and no
interest payable!) I ended up having to use it all up on the last day, as
until then I literally had not spent a single Krone in cash - taxis,
sightseeing tours, supermarket, bars, the lot - all gladly took credit
cards.

The (correct) credit card is unequivocally the optimum way to pay for
anything overseas, basically. See www.moneysavingexpert.com for the
lowdown on that.

Some friends and I are considering a trip to Iceland, either this year
or next - any suggestions on what/where to see/do?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 4, 2014, Lobster wrote
(in article ):

The (correct) credit card is unequivocally the optimum way to pay for
anything overseas, basically. See www.moneysavingexpert.com for the
lowdown on that.

I am not disputing that, but if the vendor won't take any form of card one
has to resort to a sub-optimum method of payment, i.e cash.

--
Mike Lane

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2014 20:32 S Viemeister wrote:

Some friends and I are considering a trip to Iceland, either this year
or next - any suggestions on what/where to see/do?

Hire a car and drive the 'Golden Circle' one day (assuming you're in
Reykjavik), then out to Vik another day stopping off at Seljalandsfoss
and Skogarfoss waterfalls on the way. There's also a geothermal power
station on the route that's open to visitors.

It's also worth having a look at the lava fields and lava tubes just off
the airport - Reykjavik road towards the Blue Lagoon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
Some friends and I are considering a trip to Iceland, either this year
or next - any suggestions on what/where to see/do?

Depends on your interests. Some people like expeditions in enormous
4x4s, others prefer solitary hiking. The concert hall in Reykjavik is
worth a look, and the seafood restaurants are excellent. We were there
last year and the best part for us was Snaefellsness.

Get a copy of the Lonely Planet guide and take it from there. Cicerone
Press do a good walking guide.

But don't go for the cheap beer.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/5/2014 5:45 AM, F wrote:
On 04/03/2014 20:32 S Viemeister wrote:

Some friends and I are considering a trip to Iceland, either this year
or next - any suggestions on what/where to see/do?

Hire a car and drive the 'Golden Circle' one day (assuming you're in
Reykjavik), then out to Vik another day stopping off at Seljalandsfoss
and Skogarfoss waterfalls on the way. There's also a geothermal power
station on the route that's open to visitors.

It's also worth having a look at the lava fields and lava tubes just off
the airport - Reykjavik road towards the Blue Lagoon.

Added to trip folder, thanks. I haven't visited Iceland since the late
60s - I'm sure it's changed greatly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/5/2014 6:11 AM, Mike Barnes wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
Some friends and I are considering a trip to Iceland, either this year
or next - any suggestions on what/where to see/do?

Depends on your interests. Some people like expeditions in enormous
4x4s, others prefer solitary hiking. The concert hall in Reykjavik is
worth a look, and the seafood restaurants are excellent. We were there
last year and the best part for us was Snaefellsness.

Get a copy of the Lonely Planet guide and take it from there. Cicerone
Press do a good walking guide.

But don't go for the cheap beer.

Added to trip folder, thank you.
What's the cheap beer like?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 07:14:33 on Wed, 5 Mar
2014, S Viemeister remarked:
What's the cheap beer like?

Non-existent, I presume.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
Some friends and I are considering a trip to Iceland, either this year
or next - any suggestions on what/where to see/do?

Depends on your interests. Some people like expeditions in enormous
4x4s, others prefer solitary hiking. The concert hall in Reykjavik is
worth a look, and the seafood restaurants are excellent. We were there
last year and the best part for us was Snaefellsness.

Get a copy of the Lonely Planet guide and take it from there. Cicerone
Press do a good walking guide.

But don't go for the cheap beer.

Added to trip folder, thank you.
What's the cheap beer like?

Dunno, couldn't afford it. :-)

Seriously though, things were very expensive. ISTR that the currency was
good value just after the banking crisis, but those days are long gone.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2014 12:38, Huge wrote:

Added to trip folder, thank you.
What's the cheap beer like?

There isn't any. Alcohol is hideously expensive in all the Scandy countries
but most especially so in Iceland.

Just back from a week in Norway drinking decent cheap beer. My host is
into home-brew :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
Some friends and I are considering a trip to Iceland, either this year
or next - any suggestions on what/where to see/do?

Depends on your interests. Some people like expeditions in enormous
4x4s, others prefer solitary hiking. The concert hall in Reykjavik is
worth a look, and the seafood restaurants are excellent. We were there
last year and the best part for us was Snaefellsness.

Get a copy of the Lonely Planet guide and take it from there. Cicerone
Press do a good walking guide.

But don't go for the cheap beer.

Added to trip folder, thank you.
What's the cheap beer like?

Dunno, couldn't afford it. :-)

Seriously though, things were very expensive. ISTR that the currency was
good value just after the banking crisis, but those days are long gone.

They "did it right" and bankrupted their zombie banks.

True.

Foreign DerbyBorn[_5_] UK diy 6 February 3rd 14 10:03 AM
OT-S. Korea unveils currency controls azotic Metalworking 1 June 13th 10 11:56 AM
#OT# where the US currency is Wes[_2_] Metalworking 0 January 11th 09 02:13 PM
Counting currency notes in a stack using optical technology Aks Electronics Repair 3 March 31st 07 09:13 PM
China Severs Its Currency's Link to Dollar Cliff Metalworking 72 July 26th 05 08:02 PM