Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default smoke alarms past best?

Relly has 2 mains interlinked dicon photoelec smoke alarms that keep going off more than once abt 9.30/10pm every day?!

Suspect tis time to renew?

Is this a recognised indication/symptom tho? Or a feature?
TIA

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 01:56:22 -0800 (PST)
Jim K wrote:

Relly has 2 mains interlinked dicon photoelec smoke alarms that keep
going off more than once abt 9.30/10pm every day?!

Suspect tis time to renew?

Is this a recognised indication/symptom tho? Or a feature?
TIA

Jim K

Our mains ones still have a battery inside. Time to Replace.
Instructions say to kill power before removing unit from base.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/ Davey

--Davey./Q

Maybe but why 9.30/10 pm?

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 02:17:54 -0800 (PST)
Jim K wrote:

/ Davey

to Replace. Instructions say to kill power before removing unit from
base.

--Davey./Q

Maybe but why 9.30/10 pm?

Cheers
Jim K

That I can't answer. Why would they be linked to any particular time,
whatever the reason? Is there a power dip at that time, caused by
something large coming on?
Only trying to think of possible causes for symptoms.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 February 2014 11:27:44 UTC, Davey wrote:
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 02:17:54 -0800 (PST)

Jim K wrote:

/ Davey

to Replace. Instructions say to kill power before removing unit from

base.

--Davey./Q

Maybe but why 9.30/10 pm?

Cheers

Jim K

That I can't answer. Why would they be linked to any particular time,
whatever the reason? Is there a power dip at that time, caused by
something large coming on?

no. Relly goes to bed at 10 say - just watching TV, no open fires or anything. Theres a (recently serviced) ceramic coal effect gas fire but that's not always been on when this happens..

Only trying to think of possible causes for symptoms.

Yeah the time's the oddest bit....

Shurely they have a more usual annoying warning "bip" when batt low rather than a full "ALARM"?

Part of prob so far is I don't know which one (there are 2 interlinked) is the one triggering (falsely it seems) & causing *both* to sound...

I could disconnect one and see what happens but tempted to just dump em and replace... once you don't trust 'em or switch 'em off what's the point?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 03:40:02 -0800 (PST), Jim K
wrote:

On Wednesday, 26 February 2014 11:27:44 UTC, Davey wrote:
On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 02:17:54 -0800 (PST)

Jim K wrote:

/ Davey

[...]

I have a feeling that insects can trigger optical alarms by crawling
into the sensor. As for the timing, perhaps that's when insects get
hungry, or horney.

Anyway I have always had the occasional false alarm for no apparent
with optical units, that don't seem to occur with ionisation types,
and when SWMBO asks why I always say "spiders"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K laid this down on his screen :
/ Davey

Replace. Instructions say to kill power before removing unit from base.

--Davey./Q

Maybe but why 9.30/10 pm?

Cheers
Jim K

Smoke alarms know nothing about time, it will be due to temperature
change of the battery, as the fabric of the building warms or cools
down and the voltage out of the battery changes..

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim K laid this down on his screen :
/ Davey

Replace. Instructions say to kill power before removing unit from base.

--Davey./Q

Maybe but why 9.30/10 pm?

Cheers
Jim K

Smoke alarms know nothing about time, it will be due to temperature
change of the battery, as the fabric of the building warms or cools
down and the voltage out of the battery changes..

or - someone/something is transmitting about this time and upsetting the
electronics. We had a phone which used to tinkle at a fixed time each day.
Eventually, I realised that an SAA Jubo was passing quite low overhead,
much lower than any other plane. this was in the days when they had to fly
non-stop to Sa and carried a lot of fuel.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

These are wired interlinked not radio interlinked...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2014 17:29, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Smoke alarms know nothing about time, it will be due to temperature
change of the battery, as the fabric of the building warms or cools down
and the voltage out of the battery changes..

That would make them go off at about 3am.

DAMHIK...

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:50:31 PM UTC, Jim K wrote:
These are wired interlinked not radio interlinked...

wires aka antennae

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

These are wired interlinked not radio interlinked...

wires aka antennae

NT
/Q

No wired with wire...

Smoke Alarms no-one UK diy 4 November 5th 09 04:45 PM
Smoke Alarms ac1951 UK diy 11 November 12th 07 10:37 AM
Smoke Alarms Jacque Asse Home Repair 10 July 18th 07 10:46 AM
Smoke Alarms jason UK diy 9 January 13th 06 04:47 PM
Smoke alarms for rooms where people smoke [email protected] UK diy 26 January 10th 05 04:54 PM