Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vinyl subfloor prep

Laying vinyl over laminate - most of it is pretty good, but there's a section where some metal (not removable) protrude by about 2mm.

I'm going to cover the laminate with 3mm hardboard, pinned down - what would people recommend to fill the 1mm gap over the top of the metal - it's about 200x100mm in area? I'll whack a bit of 2-pack in to fill any gaps between hardboard sheets, but I can't see that working over the area, on a metal base!

It's not an area where people will be walking much (if at all) but it is quite visible, so I can't just let the vinyl sink in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 25 February 2014 17:12:54 UTC, wrote:
Laying vinyl over laminate - most of it is pretty good, but there's a section where some metal (not removable) protrude by about 2mm.

I'm going to cover the laminate with 3mm hardboard, pinned down - what would people recommend to fill the 1mm gap over the top of the metal - it's about 200x100mm in area? I'll whack a bit of 2-pack in to fill any gaps between hardboard sheets, but I can't see that working over the area, on a metal base!

It's not an area where people will be walking much (if at all) but it is quite visible, so I can't just let the vinyl sink in.

car body filler?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Laying vinyl over laminate - most of it is pretty good, but there's
a section where some metal (not removable) protrude by about 2mm.

I'm going to cover the laminate with 3mm hardboard, pinned down -
what would people recommend to fill the 1mm gap over the top of the
metal - it's about 200x100mm in area? I'll whack a bit of 2-pack in
to fill any gaps between hardboard sheets, but I can't see that
working over the area, on a metal base!

It's not an area where people will be walking much (if at all) but
it is quite visible, so I can't just let the vinyl sink in.

car body filler?

Jim K

+1

Use thin vinyl tiles?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Laying vinyl over laminate - most of it is pretty good, but there's
a section where some metal (not removable) protrude by about 2mm.

I'm going to cover the laminate with 3mm hardboard, pinned down -
what would people recommend to fill the 1mm gap over the top of the
metal - it's about 200x100mm in area? I'll whack a bit of 2-pack in
to fill any gaps between hardboard sheets, but I can't see that
working over the area, on a metal base!

It's not an area where people will be walking much (if at all) but
it is quite visible, so I can't just let the vinyl sink in.

car body filler?

Jim K

+1

+2

I think this is the one I have in stock for such jobs (much cheaper than
Car Shops, and very easy to sand).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HB-Body-Li... tem2a1aa602c0