Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's wrong with my vacuum cleaner?

It is the normal type that needs a bag. For a while now I have had to thump it to get it to go and now it has stopped altogether.

I have opened it up to test for a loose connection, when I use use the multimeter to test for 240v across the terminals of the motor it bursts into life.
What is going on?

Thanks

Brendan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 08:08:53 -0800, Rednadnerb wrote:

It is the normal type that needs a bag. For a while now I have had to
thump it to get it to go and now it has stopped altogether.

I have opened it up to test for a loose connection, when I use use the
multimeter to test for 240v across the terminals of the motor it bursts
into life.
What is going on?

Interesting that the incredibly light load imposed on this circuit by the
meter's internal resistance 'cures' the fault. As a work-around/bodge and
if no one suggests any better, just wire a high value resistor across the
same terminals as a short-term fix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

When you say the motor terminals are they the brushes on the motor itself? If so the slight pressure you are putting on them with the probes might be pushing them onto the commutator thus suggesting the brushes might be worn and need replacing. A good indicator of worn brushes is excessive sparking on the commutator.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No, not the brushes but the terminal outside the motor where the wires are fed from the mains plug and the switch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rednadnerb" wrote in message
No, not the brushes but the terminal outside the motor where the wires are
fed from the mains plug and the switch.

Probably the loose connection is right there.
You need to tug and tweak at the wires to see if anything pulls out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 08:08:53 -0800 (PST), Rednadnerb
wrote:

It is the normal type that needs a bag. For a while now I have had to thump it to get it to go and now it has stopped altogether.

I have opened it up to test for a loose connection, when I use use the multimeter to test for 240v across the terminals of the motor it bursts into life.
What is going on?

Thanks

Brendan.

Unplug it and test for continuity on the low ohms range from plug to
motor, live side, then neutral side.

Move the flex around where it enters the machine and where it enters
the plug as these are the common failure points.

Also there might be an overheat thermostat in the circuit that
operates if the motor overheats, I have known these to take 10-15
minuets to reset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It is the normal type that needs a bag. For a while now I have had to thump it to get it to go and now it has stopped altogether.

I have opened it up to test for a loose connection, when I use use the multimeter to test for 240v across the terminals of the motor it bursts into life.
What is going on?

Thanks

Brendan.

Unplug it and test for continuity on the low ohms range from plug to
motor, live side, then neutral side.

Move the flex around where it enters the machine and where it enters
the plug as these are the common failure points.

Also there might be an overheat thermostat in the circuit that
operates if the motor overheats, I have known these to take 10-15
minuets to reset.

A case of dancing thermostats?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It is the normal type that needs a bag. For a while now I have had to thump it to get it to go and now it has stopped altogether.

I have opened it up to test for a loose connection, when I use use the multimeter to test for 240v across the terminals of the motor it bursts into life.
What is going on?

Thanks

Brendan.

Unplug it and test for continuity on the low ohms range from plug to
motor, live side, then neutral side.

Move the flex around where it enters the machine and where it enters
the plug as these are the common failure points.

Also there might be an overheat thermostat in the circuit that
operates if the motor overheats, I have known these to take 10-15
minuets to reset.

A case of dancing thermostats?

The dance is a minuet

the time is minute

Knowing I often get this wrong, I typed minuets into Google and got a
page full of time related results. What I missed was that it had taken
upon itself to presume I meant minutes, although why it thought plural
dances were problematic, I know not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Just my attempt at humour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/14 16:08, Rednadnerb wrote:
It is the normal type that needs a bag. For a while now I have had to
thump it to get it to go and now it has stopped altogether.

I have opened it up to test for a loose connection, when I use use
the multimeter to test for 240v across the terminals of the motor it
bursts into life. What is going on?

brushes gone

Thanks

Brendan.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looks like I will never know.
I can't get anything out of it no matter how I poke or prod.
There is no sign of an external thermostat or cut out switch, I don't know if they build them into the motors.

It still shows 240v across the terminals which leads me to suspect it is something further downstream.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Brendan.