Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Ubuntu 12.4 help with enabling wifi

On 24/02/14 21:00, Johny B Good wrote:
On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 08:18:21 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 24/02/14 01:37, Johny B Good wrote:
On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 04:39:09 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

except the MInty lot, who are absolutely making it look like XP to make
it easy for people who neither know nor care about linux. They just want
a usable PC.,

Now, if they could only make it look like win2k, they'd be on to a
winner! :-)

You can make it look like that if you want..
That would probably be the KDE edition...

As a matter of fact, it was the Knoppix Live CD KDE desktop in
versions 4 and 5 that really appealed to me. Close enough to windows
desktop to keep the 'learning curve' way below that of Vista (and
offspring). Unfortunately, if you opted to install it to the hard
drive, you got a 'Box Standard' Debian Desktop that looked nothing
like the Live version. :-(

Version 10.04 (istr) of Ubuntu had a close approximation. The only
irritation was the windows controls being placed to suit left handed
mouse users.

you can change that in mint mate..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-02-24, Johny B Good wrote:

Version 10.04 (istr) of Ubuntu had a close approximation. The only
irritation was the windows controls being placed to suit left handed
mouse users.

gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/general/button_layout --type string "menu:minimize,maximize,close,"

Sorted.

its a lot easier to use the gui tool

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2014 7:35 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 24/02/14 18:50, Bob Henson wrote:
On 24/02/2014 4:06 PM, Capitol wrote:
Bob Henson wrote:
On 24/02/2014 10:26 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 24/02/14 09:39, Bob Minchin wrote:

Ubuntu documentation
https://help.ubuntu.com/

or if you just need to ask a question
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay...326&order=desc

Very helpful and friendly forum, but best not to finish your query with
remark like above if you expect to get help

HTH

-

Thanks Mark

the thing you need to understand is that there is no 'official' support
for Linux unless you buy a 'commercial' version like Red Hat.

This is 'help each other' territory.

And the Ubuntu and Mint fora are very very good in that respect.

Its all very D-I-Y in that respect.

I think Ubuntu was the first to really say 'lets make it as easy as
windows to get working, and package up all the useful stuff that most
people want' and Mint has taken up where Ubuntu lost direction and went
all 'touch screen'

The desktop market is shrinking however, and most people of the 'noddy'
variety are buying fondleslabs of one sort or another. Mostly hooked
into someone else's Cloud.

I suspect that Linux will mature into THE desktop to use in a few years.

And then the big apps will get ported to it.

That's quite possible - if a long way off. It seems to me, with the
disaster that is Windows 8, that Microsoft have abandoned the desktop
and enterprise market altogether. The former doesn't surprise me, but
the latter does. Before Linux can take any of the enterprise market, it
will have to decide which Linux implementation on which to standardise,
though - the current mess of versions and interpretations won't do.

With Android(linux) now being available in fondle slabs up to 24inch
and keyboards being an option, I think we are seeing the desktop Linux
appear. The children are more familiar with Android than Microsoft in
many households and it's cheaper.

If I were running Google, I would be guessing that I could have the
entire desktop/enterprise market if I tried hard, and producing a
suitable version of Android with menu driven GUI.

google chrome...

I'd forgotten that. They'll put a lot of development energy that way,
then - I vaguely recall reading it wasn't very powerful yet - but that
may just be a lack of software applications?

--
Bob - Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK

If you think women are the weaker sex - try pulling the duvet back to
your side of the bed!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Henson wrote:
[...]

Last nights edition of the gadget show ran 3 popular hand held games
players. Two were Android based.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It's already the _correct_ way around. :-)
--
Regards, J B Good

OT Linux/ubuntu Jim K[_3_] UK diy 6 June 17th 13 08:47 PM
Enabling iPad roaming via text fred UK diy 1 January 30th 13 02:56 PM
What is cheapest Wifi-enabled device I can buy to test wifi access? MM UK diy 58 January 7th 13 08:59 PM
Ubuntu to CentOs The Real Andy Electronic Schematics 1 March 26th 09 11:10 AM
Enabling an X10 camera, manually DaveC Electronics Repair 12 February 24th 06 10:08 PM