Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Linux/ubuntu

After talk on here I'm playing with ubuntu after years of windas...

Any pointers please to a good faq on similar level transition queries? E.g.

My admin a/c can see & access other m/c's on windas network but-my workaday "user" a/c can't ? Permissions? How to sort?

Tia

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

After talk on here I'm playing with ubuntu after years of windas...

Any pointers please to a good faq on similar level transition queries?

Dunno; surely google can find answers to that sort of thing?

I've found the people at newsgroup comp.os.linux.misc useful.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 08:32:22 +0100, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
wrote:

Jim K wrote:

After talk on here I'm playing with ubuntu after years of windas...

Any pointers please to a good faq on similar level transition queries?

Dunno; surely google can find answers to that sort of thing?

I've found the people at newsgroup comp.os.linux.misc useful.

Also uk.comp.os.linux has some knowledgeable people.

Andy C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/13 08:05, Jim K wrote:
After talk on here I'm playing with ubuntu after years of windas...

Any pointers please to a good faq on similar level transition queries? E.g.

My admin a/c can see & access other m/c's on windas network but-my workaday "user" a/c can't ? Permissions? How to sort?

Tia

Jim K

There is (on mint) a gui tool for managing user privileges which MAY be
present in Ubuntu. Its under administration-users and
groups-user-advanced-user privileges.

But in all cases the issue is that by default the average user can't do
that, and needs to be explicitly allowed to.

If you cant fid a gui tool to manage user permissions,this may work:

Its the 'hand' method. From a console shell.

Allow non-root users to mount SMB shares

By default only root may mount SMB shares on the command line. To allow
non-root users to mount SMB shares you could set the SUID, but I advise
you configure sudo. You should configure sudo with *visudo*

You may either allow the group "users" to mount SMB shares, or add a
group, samba, and add users you wish to allow to mount SMB shares to the
samba group.

sudo groupadd samba
sudo adduser user samba

Change "user" to the username you wish to add to the samba group.

sudo visudo

In the "group" section add your group you wish to allow to mount SMB shares

Add a line in the "group" section :
## Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
%samba ALL=(ALL) /bin/mount,/bin/umount,/sbin/mount.cifs,/sbin/umount.cifs

Change "%samba" to "%users" if you wish to allow members of the users
group to mount SMB shares.

..

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
After talk on here I'm playing with ubuntu after years of windas...

Any pointers please to a good faq on similar level transition queries?
E.g.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326

FWIW I still think Xubuntu is preferable to ubuntu

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/13 08:05, Jim K wrote:
After talk on here I'm playing with ubuntu after years of windas...

Any pointers please to a good faq on similar level transition queries? E.g.

My admin a/c can see & access other m/c's on windas network but-my workaday "user" a/c can't ? Permissions? How to sort?

At a guess the user name and password of your admin account matches the
ones you use on your Windows machines.

If you want the Windows shares to be available to every user on the
Linux box then consider mounting them using fstab. Try man fstab for
details.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/13 19:40, Bernard Peek wrote:
On 17/06/13 08:05, Jim K wrote:
After talk on here I'm playing with ubuntu after years of windas...

Any pointers please to a good faq on similar level transition
queries? E.g.

My admin a/c can see & access other m/c's on windas network but-my
workaday "user" a/c can't ? Permissions? How to sort?

At a guess the user name and password of your admin account matches
the ones you use on your Windows machines.

If you want the Windows shares to be available to every user on the
Linux box then consider mounting them using fstab. Try man fstab for
details.

normally name and password for SMB access are asked for and held
separately from user passwords.

I.e. 'browsing' the network you SHOULD see the machines to connecty to
available as user level mounts: clicking on them will prompt for a
name/password.

IIRC if you patch fstab, you need to have a name/password as partt of
the mount...cifs process. Unlike NFS you wont transfer any rights to the
remote machine: you will have the rights of access that the username you
gave allows.