Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Self amalgamating tape.

CPC have 19mm self amalgamating tape in 10M rolls for 2.96 inclusive.
(CB1449220) Since postage is free on web orders, a bit of a bargain, IMHO.

--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, February 21, 2014 2:24:29 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

CPC have 19mm self amalgamating tape in 10M rolls for 2.96 inclusive.
(CB1449220) Since postage is free on web orders, a bit of a bargain, IMHO.

I think I once had reason to use some when I was a teenager. Or thought I did. Not since.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Friday, February 21, 2014 2:24:29 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

CPC have 19mm self amalgamating tape in 10M rolls for 2.96 inclusive.
(CB1449220) Since postage is free on web orders, a bit of a bargain,
IMHO.

I think I once had reason to use some when I was a teenager. Or thought I
did. Not since.

NT

Very good for sealing up connectors on ham radio antennas, and also the F
connectors on satellite LNBs ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Feb 2014 16:22:59 GMT, Huge wrote:

It's not UV resistant, though.

Odd when ever I've taken stuff down that has been out in the open for
years it's been just a grubby version of what was put on...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 22 Feb 2014 16:22:59 GMT, Huge wrote:

It's not UV resistant, though.

Odd when ever I've taken stuff down that has been out in the open for
years it's been just a grubby version of what was put on...

Quite. Perhaps its main uses are outdoors. Strange if the sun got at it.

--
*I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message
In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On 22 Feb 2014 16:22:59 GMT, Huge wrote:

It's not UV resistant, though.

Odd when ever I've taken stuff down that has been out in the open for
years it's been just a grubby version of what was put on...

Ditto.

--
Bill

Me too. It has just been like a cocoon of rubber around the connector and
has needed to be cut down its length with a craft knife to get it off. I
have many connections to my antennas covered by the stuff, and totally open
at the top of the mast, and these connections are exposed to the sun for
years at a time between the mast coming down for maintenance ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 22 Feb 2014 16:22:59 GMT, Huge wrote:

It's not UV resistant, though.

Odd when ever I've taken stuff down that has been out in the open for
years it's been just a grubby version of what was put on...

Quite. Perhaps its main uses are outdoors. Strange if the sun got at it.

We've had very occasional failures due to sunlight. I think they might
have been from a faulty batch because normally there isn't a problem.

The CPC offer might be the very thin stuff which is unsatisfactory
because when you stretch it it tears. However I've had self amalg from
CPC and it's been just fine, so I doubt it really.

The whole thing about self amalg is that people don't use it properly,
then they say it's no good. Use it right and it's a really good method
of sealing connectors.

A lot of satellite installers just can't get on with it. They use the
rubber boot things to seal the LNB connectors, and these generally fail
or fall off.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 04:11:12 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

The whole thing about self amalg is that people don't use it properly,
then they say it's no good. Use it right and it's a really good method
of sealing connectors.

A lot of satellite installers just can't get on with it. They use the
rubber boot things to seal the LNB connectors, and these generally fail
or fall off.

To some extent I can understand that, the spacing and accessibilty of
the connectors on an LNB doesn't make for quick 'n easy use of SA
tape. Much quicker to slide a rubber boot up, even if you've
forgotten to slide it onto the cable before the screw on F plug. B-)

They are probably only supplied with boots as well. Boots are simple
for the "trained" Sky installers to use, a certain amount of skill
and thought is required to use SA tape properly. Anyway if it fails
and fills the coax with water in a couple of years it's more,
chargeable, work for them to do.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 04:11:12 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

The whole thing about self amalg is that people don't use it properly,
then they say it's no good. Use it right and it's a really good method
of sealing connectors.

A lot of satellite installers just can't get on with it. They use the
rubber boot things to seal the LNB connectors, and these generally fail
or fall off.

They are probably only supplied with boots as well. Boots are simple
for the "trained" Sky installers to use, a certain amount of skill
and thought is required to use SA tape properly.

That puts 99% of Sky installers out of the equation straight away then!

Anyway if it fails
and fills the coax with water in a couple of years it's more,
chargeable, work for them to do.

I've just had some VHF and UHF ground plane aerials made to go onto pump
up masts on control vehicles, these will remain permanently in situ,
although, hopefully, the masts will be brought down when not in use.
But the bottom line is that they maybe exposed to rain at 70+mph at
times. To get over the sealing problem I have had them made with short
coax tails moulded into the base of the aerial, rather than the normal
coax socket, purely because it is so difficult to guarantee a good
waterproof SA seal around the fixed connector. In all other
applications SA has never let me down.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bill Wright
scribeth thus
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Well that makes for repeat work doesn't it, planned faults...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

I agree with your every word.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-02-22, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 22 Feb 2014 16:22:59 GMT, Huge wrote:

It's not UV resistant, though.

Odd when ever I've taken stuff down that has been out in the open for
years it's been just a grubby version of what was put on...

I sit corrected. I've never left it exposed, so I have no data ...

The UV problem is not really an issue. We've a tiny percentage of
failures, and as I said I think there was summat up with the product. Of
course you can always overwrap with good quality pvc tape.

In the days before our trade knew of self-amalg I used to use pvc tape
the way you use self amalg, putting it on with a bit of tension. Time
has proved that this was a good method. Occasionally I find 30 year old
joints on the scrap heap, and they're OK.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-02-22, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 22 Feb 2014 16:22:59 GMT, Huge wrote:

It's not UV resistant, though.
Odd when ever I've taken stuff down that has been out in the open for
years it's been just a grubby version of what was put on...

I sit corrected. I've never left it exposed, so I have no data ...

The UV problem is not really an issue. We've a tiny percentage of
failures, and as I said I think there was summat up with the product. Of
course you can always overwrap with good quality pvc tape.

In the days before our trade knew of self-amalg I used to use pvc tape
the way you use self amalg, putting it on with a bit of tension. Time
has proved that this was a good method. Occasionally I find 30 year old
joints on the scrap heap, and they're OK.

Bill

Tar based insulating tape had many of the properties of SA tape. Lasted
better than many pvc tapes, which had glue failure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, February 21, 2014 9:06:46 PM UTC, wrote:
On Friday, February 21, 2014 2:24:29 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

CPC have 19mm self amalgamating tape in 10M rolls for 2.96 inclusive.

(CB1449220) Since postage is free on web orders, a bit of a bargain, IMHO.

I think I once had reason to use some when I was a teenager. Or thought I did. Not since.

NT

PIB tape is a bit like heatshrink on a roll, originally developed for cable splicing, also handy on mismatched pond hose adaptors.

For higher pressure hose and definate UV resistance Silicone Self Fusing tape is more expensive but just about everything resistant, strangely Maplin have a decent price on clear

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/silicone-s...m-x-24mm-n24gn