Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default Buying small items on eBay - grumble

The connector on the low voltage side of the power supply for our Asus EEPC
900 netbook has frayed and no longer works. Damage just by the moulded
connector which fits into the back of the PC.

O.K. - looks fiddly to repair with all moulded components and this cable,
so look at the price of a replacement.

eBay shows on for £4.99.

Order the power supply, but unfortunately I missed the fact that the
replacement takes a different mains lead from the original - 3 pin not 2.

O.K. - back to the seller to ask about a suitable mains lead.

I get a response with a link (strangely, from a different eBay seller but
still one based in Weston Super Mare) so I order the lead. Another £4.99
so I would probably done as well ordering the complete thing from Amazon.

The lead turns up, but it is a 'kettle plug' lead not the 'clover leaf'
lead shown on eBay - which hopefully would fit the 3 pin clover leaf
socket on the PSU.

So I raise a return request through eBay and get the following response:

"Seller's message:
'Thank you for your email. We are sorry to hear that. For this case, since
it will cost much more time to return the item, would you like us to issue
1$ refund of the item price to you directly as compensation and you could
keep the item? If you agree, we will handle with it as soon as possible.
Looking forward to your reply soon.'"

Huh?

$1 refund (60p) on a £4.99 lead which I didn't order and don't want or
need?
[I assume everyone who has owned more than a couple of PCs over the years
has a large stock of spare kettle leads.]

Perhaps the message lost something in the translation from the original
Chinese?

If they wish to make a full refund and leave me with the item, then fine.

However that still leaves me with a PSU and no mains lead.

I fear that my reply was not of the gentlest.

Note to self: saving a couple of quid by ordering from eBay may not always
be worth it.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mmm standard ebay conman approach IME.
Get your money, send some old ****e, you complain, they say send it back at your expense, they say never got it, they keep dosh & get item back...

Unless you spend as much again on recorded post....then you get a quid back in the end, they are back where they started....

Some would counter this by denying it arrived in 1st place & getting 100% refund that way...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The trick is only to go for items with 'free' postage. So in event of a
problem, you get a full refund.

Many sellers have the item cheap but high postage. They pay less
commission to Ebay this way, IIRC.

--
*The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in school was my blood alcohol content*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 21 Feb 2014, "David.WE.Roberts" grunted:

So I raise a return request through eBay and get the following
response:

"Seller's message:
'Thank you for your email. We are sorry to hear that. For this case,
since it will cost much more time to return the item, would you like
us to issue 1$ refund of the item price to you directly as
compensation and you could keep the item? If you agree, we will handle
with it as soon as possible. Looking forward to your reply soon.'"

$1 refund (60p) on a £4.99 lead which I didn't order and don't want
or need?

Perhaps the message lost something in the translation from the
original Chinese?

I'm guessing that's highly likely, actually. I order loads of small bits and
bobs on ebay, including plenty from Chinese sellers, with a huge rate of
success; but very occasionally I've been sent the wrong thing, and have been
told just to keep the item. (Once IIRC being asked for an emailed photo of
the wrong item).

Will be interesting to hear what happens!

--
David
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 21 Feb 2014, "David.WE.Roberts" grunted:

The connector on the low voltage side of the power supply for our Asus
EEPC 900 netbook has frayed and no longer works.

Spinoff thread alert...!

Is this the model with a 4Gb primary SSD for the OS? Would be interested
to hear what OS you use and how you get on with it... we've had a 901 model
for a few years, running Windows XP but sadly it's now literally unusable
as the number of Windows updates has completely filled the SSD. Tried
installing a slipstreamed version, too, but that only bought about an extra
year.

I'm guessing you're going to say Linux? Recently I fished it out for fun,
and tried killing XP and installing Linux (not sure what flavour, and I'm
not at all familiar with Linux) from the originally supplied CD; however by
the time that had finished updating itself with several years'-worth of
stuff, the problem was identical.

It's a total embuggerance that the machine has a 16Gb secondary SSD which
you can't use for the OS, and which is almost empty

--
David

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 2014-02-21, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Note to self: saving a couple of quid by ordering from eBay may not always
be worth it.

Agreed (the HP LJ5M toner cartridge that arrived yesterday is FUBAR) but the
savings you make on all the good stuff makes the odd duffer worth it.

+1, I think you have been unlucky, my very small number of disputes have
almost always been fixed quickly (e.g. by sending correct part and the
supplier saying keep the wrong one)
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default Buying small items on eBay - grumble - EEE PC

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:47:16 +0000, Lobster wrote:

[...]

Yes, the 4GB limit killed off XP.

I originally bought it with Linux because an OEM XP disc cost less than
the extra to have XP installed. Then installed XP over the Linux. IIRC it
stuck on .Net upgrades a year or so later. Couldn't dig it out without a
full wipe and re-install. Linux let me get at the data.

I am running Linux - an Ubuntu variant (IIRC) specifically configured for
EE PCs.

This runs on the second (slower) SSD. Again IIRC as long as you can fire
up a boot loader such as Grub you can install Linux on any drive.

The main reported constraint was that the second larger SSD was slower
than the smaller - however it may be slow but it still works :-)

I have been meaning to 'fettle' it but up until now it just worked.

I never tried to install XP on the second drive (something nagging at the
back of my mind suggests that perhaps the second drive shows as a USB
drive and so is suitable for Linux but not for XP).

One of the interesting things now is that 'Netbooks' were more or less
wiped off the market by the onrush of tablets.

However I think you can now get a pretty spanky netbook for around £250
and I am seriously considering this because I have found that the original
netbook was far better for long term travel (due to the much more capable
OS) than the 10" Android tablet we bough for a lot more money and used on
our last extended trip.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Huge put finger to keyboard:

On 2014-02-21, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Note to self: saving a couple of quid by ordering from eBay may not
always be worth it.

Agreed (the HP LJ5M toner cartridge that arrived yesterday is FUBAR) but
the savings you make on all the good stuff makes the odd duffer worth
it.

For original HP toners I've been happy with a seller called The Jolly
Savage. http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/thejollysavage
No connection, but have bought several times. It's old stock but not had a
problem.

Much easier than trying to determine which Amazon sellers are selling 3rd
party items. All of them, I think, but with images and descriptions
showing real HP stock. Amazon aren't interested in fixing this deception.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2014 in message
David.WE.Roberts wrote:

However I think you can now get a pretty spanky netbook for around £250
and I am seriously considering this because I have found that the original
netbook was far better for long term travel (due to the much more capable
OS) than the 10" Android tablet we bough for a lot more money and used on
our last extended trip.

Have a look at the Asus Transformer Book T100TA as a decent equivalent of
a Netbook. Full Windows (not RT) and includes Office Home & Student.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:47:16 +0000, Lobster wrote:

I'm guessing you're going to say Linux? Recently I fished it out for
fun, and tried killing XP and installing Linux (not sure what flavour,
and I'm not at all familiar with Linux) from the originally supplied CD;
however by the time that had finished updating itself with several
years'-worth of stuff, the problem was identical.

It's a total embuggerance that the machine has a 16Gb secondary SSD
which you can't use for the OS, and which is almost empty

That's not a showstopper. Simply identify part of the file system tree
(probably /usr) and mount the second disk on that. It's all unified and
will just work.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Huge put finger to keyboard:

On 2014-02-21, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Note to self: saving a couple of quid by ordering from eBay may not
always be worth it.

Agreed (the HP LJ5M toner cartridge that arrived yesterday is FUBAR)
but the savings you make on all the good stuff makes the odd duffer
worth it.

For original HP toners I've been happy with a seller called The Jolly
Savage. http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/thejollysavage No connection, but have
bought several times. It's old stock but not had a problem.

Much easier than trying to determine which Amazon sellers are selling
3rd party items. All of them, I think, but with images and descriptions
showing real HP stock. Amazon aren't interested in fixing this
deception.

Yes, I had that issue with a UPS battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
The trick is only to go for items with 'free' postage. So in event of a
problem, you get a full refund.

Many sellers have the item cheap but high postage. They pay less
commission to Ebay this way, IIRC.

I understand that ebay are squashing this ruse by making their charges
based on the sale price plus the postage.
If this is not happening now it will apply soon from what I read
somewhere or other.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 13:55:58 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:

On 21/02/2014 in message
David.WE.Roberts wrote:

However I think you can now get a pretty spanky netbook for around £250
and I am seriously considering this because I have found that the
original netbook was far better for long term travel (due to the much
more capable OS) than the 10" Android tablet we bough for a lot more
money and used on our last extended trip.

Have a look at the Asus Transformer Book T100TA as a decent equivalent
of a Netbook. Full Windows (not RT) and includes Office Home & Student.

Doesn't fit the spec. of "spanky for around £250" I'm afraid.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 2014-02-21, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Note to self: saving a couple of quid by ordering from eBay may not
always be worth it.

Agreed (the HP LJ5M toner cartridge that arrived yesterday is FUBAR)
but the savings you make on all the good stuff makes the odd duffer
worth it.

For original HP toners I've been happy with a seller called The Jolly
Savage. http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/thejollysavage No connection, but have
bought several times. It's old stock but not had a problem.

Much easier than trying to determine which Amazon sellers are selling
3rd party items. All of them, I think, but with images and descriptions
showing real HP stock. Amazon aren't interested in fixing this
deception.

I've had problems with Amazon Marketplace where the same item with the
same reviews keeps having the supplier changed.

So you can't trust the reviews because they quite possibly don't relate to
the current supplier.

In my case I ordered an item, something completely different turned up,
and I couldn't contact the supplier for a return/refund.

The good thing is that Amazon sorts the refund out pretty quickly.

However I noticed soon after that the same item with the same reviews
(clicked through from my original order) was now listed with a completely
different supplier.

So the refund policy is all.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

David.WE.Roberts wrote:

However I think you can now get a pretty spanky netbook for around £250
and I am seriously considering this because I have found that the
original netbook was far better for long term travel (due to the much
more capable OS) than the 10" Android tablet we bough for a lot more
money and used on our last extended trip.

Have a look at the Asus Transformer Book T100TA as a decent equivalent
of a Netbook. Full Windows (not RT) and includes Office Home & Student.

Doesn't fit the spec. of "spanky for around £250" I'm afraid.

I got mine for £299 from John Lewis so not far off!

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 16:06:32 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:

David.WE.Roberts wrote:

However I think you can now get a pretty spanky netbook for around
£250 and I am seriously considering this because I have found that the
original netbook was far better for long term travel (due to the much
more capable OS) than the 10" Android tablet we bough for a lot more
money and used on our last extended trip.

Have a look at the Asus Transformer Book T100TA as a decent equivalent
of a Netbook. Full Windows (not RT) and includes Office Home & Student.

Doesn't fit the spec. of "spanky for around £250" I'm afraid.

I got mine for £299 from John Lewis so not far off!

How long ago?

Amazon are offering it for £416.99.

At £299 I might well be interested :-)
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

David.WE.Roberts put finger to keyboard:

On 2014-02-21, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

[...]

I don't use Amazon Marketplace any more - too many problems.

"Original" toner cartridges being some third-party tat;
"Software" being disk media only with no licence;
One item not delivered at all, and no response from the seller. Took five
or six weeks before Amazon would cancel the order and I could then buy
from someone else (didn't want two of the same) - and there was no
opportunity to neg the seller because the item was never delivered!
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:47:16 +0000, Lobster wrote:

On 21 Feb 2014, "David.WE.Roberts" grunted:

The connector on the low voltage side of the power supply for our Asus
EEPC 900 netbook has frayed and no longer works.

Spinoff thread alert...!

Is this the model with a 4Gb primary SSD for the OS? Would be
interested to hear what OS you use and how you get on with it.

It's a total embuggerance that the machine has a 16Gb secondary SSD
which you can't use for the OS, and which is almost empty

Puppy Linux
Slax
Damned Small Linux

I ran Puppy on an old IBM 560Z with 192MB memory and a small hard disk.
It worked very well. It should be fine on a EEPC 900
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/EeePC

This thread will be of interest too
http://www.linlap.com/asus_eee_pc_900

Alternatively, use Windows 2000 SP4. It will take up far less room and
will still do just about everything you are likely to want to do on a
netbook. There is also the benefit of no updates so the disk won't keep
filling up!

--
Tony
'09 FJR1300, '87 TW200,
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 17:38:07 +0000, TMack wrote:

[...]

Can you still get a legitimate W2K?

With drivers for all the Asus hardware (although the XP drivers should do).

My Win2K install is tied to Gateway hardware.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2014 19:10, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 17:38:07 +0000, TMack wrote:

I ran Puppy on an old IBM 560Z with 192MB memory and a small hard disk.
It worked very well. It should be fine on a EEPC 900
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/EeePC

This thread will be of interest too
http://www.linlap.com/asus_eee_pc_900

Alternatively, use Windows 2000 SP4. It will take up far less room and
will still do just about everything you are likely to want to do on a
netbook. There is also the benefit of no updates so the disk won't keep
filling up!

Can you still get a legitimate W2K?

With drivers for all the Asus hardware (although the XP drivers
should do).

There is a Microsoft site where it was possible to download an encrypted
copy of the .iso file (For educational use only) as of April last year.
There is also available in the wild a decryption procedure for said
encrypted file and, if you ferret about it is possible to find a product
key that will let you use it and which won't trigger any forged software
detection. Hardware drivers will probably be available on the Asus site
until at least April, possibly longer as some makers even have Windows
95 drivers still available for their older hardware.

My Win2K install is tied to Gateway hardware.

You can untie it by changing one file on the install CD. Instructions
are available on the Web. I did all this a year or so ago, when I bought
an old Windows 2000 PC that had had its hard drive securely wiped. Then
I uninstalled Windows 2000 as it didn't work with soe of the programs I
use on a daily basis.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

I assume the connector you mean are the ones built like the figure of 8 two
core, but with an earth pin below and in the middle of the other two. Dell
used to use these leads as i recall.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In message , David.WE.Roberts
writes

David.WE.Roberts wrote:

However I think you can now get a pretty spanky netbook for around
£250 and I am seriously considering this because I have found that the
original netbook was far better for long term travel (due to the much
more capable OS) than the 10" Android tablet we bough for a lot more
money and used on our last extended trip.

Have a look at the Asus Transformer Book T100TA as a decent equivalent
of a Netbook. Full Windows (not RT) and includes Office Home & Student.

Doesn't fit the spec. of "spanky for around £250" I'm afraid.

I got mine for £299 from John Lewis so not far off!

How long ago?

Amazon are offering it for £416.99.

At £299 I might well be interested :-)

Well, my love/hate relationship with Lenovo X-series 12.1" models
(usually off ebay) continues apace. You can get a pretty decent one for
under 100, and the tablet convertibles are excellent if you don't lose
the pen.
Full maintenance manuals, drivers etc. freely available, plenty of
people breaking for parts, and chargers and batteries available from
China (often via Weston super Mare).

In comparison, my early Toshiba netbook is a joke, with horrendous
keyboard and touch pad.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 19:44:51 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I assume the connector you mean are the ones built like the figure of 8
two core, but with an earth pin below and in the middle of the other
two. Dell used to use these leads as i recall.
Brian

Sort of - the figure of eight two core doesn't fit the two side by side
pins because there is a lump sticking up between them.

Below and above are difficult concepts :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

[...]

Not all ebay sellers are such arseholes.

I ordered some nail clippers for quite literally 1c, postage included, from
china.

When they turned up they were exactly what I wanted, but the jaws didnt
close
squarely, so were made bad. I told the seller, expecting him to ignore my
email
given the price he had sold the item for. He was quite happy to send me a
new
one for no charge, didnt ask for the duds back and didnt even ask for a
photo
to prove that the item was bad either. The replacements were perfect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote

Mmm standard ebay conman approach IME.

Get your money, send some old ****e, you complain, they say send it back
at your expense, they say never got it, they keep dosh & get item back...

Unless you spend as much again on recorded post....then you
get a quid back in the end, they are back where they started....

Some would counter this by denying it arrived
in 1st place & getting 100% refund that way...

Checking the feedback shows which arseholes behave like that.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2014 in message
David.WE.Roberts wrote:

I got mine for £299 from John Lewis so not far off!

How long ago?

Amazon are offering it for £416.99.

At £299 I might well be interested :-)

Looks like I got a good Xmas deal, it's £350 now:

http://www.johnlewis.com/asus-transf...screen/p775600

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y Scion wrote:
I don't use Amazon Marketplace any more - too many problems.

I don't understand how people find Amazon usable:

The search is awful, it doesn't find what you want
You can't sort the results, you have to 'choose a department' first
The prices of search results don't include delivery, which can vary hugely
You can't get a delivery discount for ordering multiples (I think)
You don't actually get to see the item you're ordering
There's almost no space for the seller to describe the item

The /only/ useful purposes I can see is buying new items that have a part
number - if you want a new laptop where only that model will do - or used
things where the condition is easy to describe (there's only so much that
can happen to a book and still remain saleable) Anything else is too much
work to hunt through the results.

Theo
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 15:15:08 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

[...]

And, now we know how all those "Pound" shops make their living! :-(
(Just imagine what the 'bulk price' would be for a ten thousand off
price on an item like that).
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default Buying small items on eBay - grumble Update

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:49:50 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

[...]

Turns out that they ARE two shop fronts for the same organisation.

I complained to the original one and chased the refund on the second one
quoting the Sale Of Goods Act.

I now have a full refund.

This is the cheapest option for the supplier, as they don't send me 'free'
stock and don't pay for return postage on the wrong cable.

I am not out of pocket, but not a happy customer.

I also have an unwanted kettle lead and a PSU I have paid for but cannot
yet use.

So off to hunt for a clover leaf connector.

Do they supply such things ready to be wired in?

I do happen to have a spare sacrificial power lead......although the cable
is probably too thick.

Being 3 pin I assume that it requires earth, which means that I can't
modify the old cable with the 2 pin connector.

Also, if I end up sourcing a plug and modifying a cable I might just as
well have sourced a new jack plug for the old cable.

Ho hum.

Dave R

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:17:40 +0000, Theo Markettos wrote:

In uk.d-i-y Scion wrote:
I don't use Amazon Marketplace any more - too many problems.

I don't understand how people find Amazon usable:

The search is awful, it doesn't find what you want You can't sort the
results, you have to 'choose a department' first The prices of search
results don't include delivery, which can vary hugely You can't get a
delivery discount for ordering multiples (I think)
You don't actually get to see the item you're ordering There's almost no
space for the seller to describe the item

The /only/ useful purposes I can see is buying new items that have a
part number - if you want a new laptop where only that model will do -
or used things where the condition is easy to describe (there's only so
much that can happen to a book and still remain saleable) Anything else
is too much work to hunt through the results.

Theo

Amazon search sucks donkey nuts!!

However using Google to search Amazon links often works much better.

I favour anything "Fulfilled by Amazon" because I can be reasonably sure
that it is in stock, will be delivered promptly, and can be delivered to
my local Co-op for later collection if I don't want to wait in for it.

Marketplace not fulfilled by Amazon is more of a lottery.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:48:56 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

snip
So off to hunt for a clover leaf connector.

snip

Just twigged after Googling that it is a standard IEC C5 cloverleaf
connector so widely available on line (with the usual provisos about
reliable suppliers).

Now (yet again) trying to decide is saving a pound is penny wise and pound
foolish.

Anyone dealt with
http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/category.php?cat_id=222
?

2m cord for around £5 delivered.

Amazon Marketplace and eBay can shave about £1.50 off the price but I have
gone off eBay for the moment and also have reservations about Amazon
Marketplace when not fulfilled by Amazon.

Too much choice is as bad as too little.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

[...]

...and all of this could have been avoided by simply buying another £12 power
supply in the first place. Sometimes I wonder how the thought process works
in some folk.

Ho hum
--

Cheers
Niel H

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 12:21:02 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

[...]

The answer to everything cable is Kenable:

http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_inf...roducts_id=156

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 19:10:45 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Alternatively, use Windows 2000 SP4. It will take up far less room and
will still do just about everything you are likely to want to do on a
netbook. There is also the benefit of no updates so the disk won't
keep filling up!

Can you still get a legitimate W2K?

With drivers for all the Asus hardware (although the XP drivers should
do).

email me at tonymackin at gmail.com and I may be able to sort out win 2K
for you, free of charge.

--
Tony
'09 FJR1300, '87 TW200,
89 TW200, '07 Street Triple OMF#24

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 22 Feb 2014 12:21:02 GMT
"David.WE.Roberts" wrote:

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:48:56 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

snip
So off to hunt for a clover leaf connector.

snip

Just twigged after Googling that it is a standard IEC C5 cloverleaf
connector so widely available on line (with the usual provisos about
reliable suppliers).

Now (yet again) trying to decide is saving a pound is penny wise and
pound foolish.

Anyone dealt with
http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/category.php?cat_id=222
?

2m cord for around £5 delivered.

You could try these from a reliable eBay seller (no connection other
than as a satisfied customer over several years) :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190517702128

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200660621278

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190815876794

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200512792346

:-)

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 12:45:32 +0000, Chris Whelan wrote:

[...]

Thanks - looks better than eBay!

I have already ordered the cable from cabling4less for £4.05 including
delivery but Kenable goes on the list of suppliers :-)

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote
Scion wrote

I don't use Amazon Marketplace any more - too many problems.

I don't understand how people find Amazon usable:

I do, essentially because you get a lot more hits than with ebay
with some stuff.

The search is awful, it doesn't find what you want

Yes, its completely hopeless compared with the ebay search.
Not so much because it doesn’t find what you want but because
it finds lots of stuff that isnt what you want even with a quite
specific search.

You can't sort the results, you have to 'choose a department' first

Yeah, that is a complete pain in the arse.

The prices of search results don't include delivery, which can vary hugely

And you can't sort on total price including delivery.

You can't get a delivery discount for ordering multiples (I think)
You don't actually get to see the item you're ordering
There's almost no space for the seller to describe the item

The /only/ useful purposes I can see is buying new items that have a part
number

That’s overstating it. The other useful purpose is that you can
get a hell of a lot more hits for what you want, with lots of
other **** that isnt anything like what you want included too.

Try doing a search for an alcohol hydrometer that works for everything
from the neat alcohol straight from the reflux still to what you dilute that
to before using it instead of the commercial stuff.

- if you want a new laptop where only that model will do - or used
things where the condition is easy to describe (there's only so much
that can happen to a book and still remain saleable) Anything else
is too much work to hunt through the results.

No argument there, the search is hopeless.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Johny B Good wrote
Rod Speed wrote
David.WE.Roberts wrote

[...]

Yeah, I've never understood why stuff like that gets sold at those prices,
presumably just to get a significant volume of feedback or something.

It was a proper auction, not a buy now, and the only bid was mine.

I'd also love to know what china is doing postal charges wise,
why they have now moved to a system that is so cheap postal
charges wise, but takes something like a month to get it. It cant
just be a simple system of using spare capacity in the system
when almost everything takes about a month to get it.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

David.WE.Roberts wrote
Theo Markettos wrote
Scion wrote

[...]

Still can't sort the results on the total price including the delivery
charge tho. Or even see the delivery charge in the list of hits either.

I favour anything "Fulfilled by Amazon" because I can be reasonably
sure that it is in stock, will be delivered promptly, and can be delivered
to my local Co-op for later collection if I don't want to wait in for it.

Marketplace not fulfilled by Amazon is more of a lottery.

eBay items including metalworking related - self promotion w/ seller link [email protected] Metalworking 0 September 2nd 10 01:02 PM
O,OT - I don't get it: eBay items selling for $.01 Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 5 September 15th 08 02:11 PM
Ebay Items? Adam[_2_] Woodworking 13 November 14th 07 05:48 PM
Buying items on eBay Cindi Home Repair 32 September 26th 06 04:16 PM
Cowboy wiring - grumble, grumble, grumble. Martin UK diy 16 March 4th 04 02:41 PM