Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drill chuck problem

The chuck on my Makita is buggered: one of the three gripping "teeth" (I
don't know the technical name) seems to have become disengaged from the
twisting mechanism which grips the bit. The "tooth" at fault is sticking
up high (actually out of the chuck mouth, when the other two are
securely down in the chuck).

Is there a way to "have a look" at these things and fix them? I notice
that there is some kind of circlip around the mouth of the chuck: I'm
minded to remove that and take things from there, but have come here for
opinions first.

Cheers
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not worth the trouble in my opinion. Get another chuck, the same make
and model number and replace it.
You can hold the drill securely in a vice or similar and then get a soft
piece of metal or some hard wood and batter the existing drill chuck
until it starts to loosen, then pull off.

On 16/02/2014 11:02, Another John wrote:
The chuck on my Makita is buggered: one of the three gripping "teeth" (I
don't know the technical name) seems to have become disengaged from the
twisting mechanism which grips the bit. The "tooth" at fault is sticking
up high (actually out of the chuck mouth, when the other two are
securely down in the chuck).

Is there a way to "have a look" at these things and fix them? I notice
that there is some kind of circlip around the mouth of the chuck: I'm
minded to remove that and take things from there, but have come here for
opinions first.

Cheers
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob H wrote:
Not worth the trouble in my opinion. Get another chuck, the same make
and model number and replace it.
You can hold the drill securely in a vice or similar and then get a soft
piece of metal or some hard wood and batter the existing drill chuck
until it starts to loosen, then pull off.

If the drill can be reversed, there is likely a locking screw too. Look by
opening up the chuck fully. And they're often LH thread.

--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.