Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BT News Server died ???

My access to news.btinternet.com news server seems to have died - attempts to access result in 'needs authentication' error, whereas I'm sure it never has previously - anyone else suffering?

Hence posting via Google Groups (arghhhhhh !!!)

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 14:02:49 -0800 (PST), Andrew Mawson
wrote:

My access to news.btinternet.com news server seems to have died - attempts to access result in 'needs authentication' error, whereas I'm sure it never has previously - anyone else suffering?

Hence posting via Google Groups (arghhhhhh !!!)

Andrew

Quite possibly an IP address problem. Mine (also BT) has been
changing during the recent power outages. I simply log into the
router, execute a disconnect and then reconnect. Observe that the IP
address has changed and try the news server again; you may need
several attempts to get a compliant IP.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I too have the same issue, I have to get an IP in the range of
86.xxx.xxx.xxx to get access to news groups.

usually the IP is in the 31.xxx.xxx.xxx range when I have the issue

wrote:

My access to news.btinternet.com news server seems to have died - attempts
to access result in 'needs authentication' error, whereas I'm sure it
never has previously - anyone else suffering?

Hence posting via Google Groups (arghhhhhh !!!)

Andrew

Quite possibly an IP address problem. Mine (also BT) has been
changing during the recent power outages. I simply log into the
router, execute a disconnect and then reconnect. Observe that the IP
address has changed and try the news server again; you may need
several attempts to get a compliant IP.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gordy" wrote in message ...

I too have the same issue, I have to get an IP in the range of
86.xxx.xxx.xxx to get access to news groups.

usually the IP is in the 31.xxx.xxx.xxx range when I have the issue

.. .
wrote:

My access to news.btinternet.com news server seems to have died -
attempts to access result in 'needs authentication' error, whereas I'm
sure it never has previously - anyone else suffering?

Hence posting via Google Groups (arghhhhhh !!!)

Andrew

Quite possibly an IP address problem. Mine (also BT) has been
changing during the recent power outages. I simply log into the
router, execute a disconnect and then reconnect. Observe that the IP
address has changed and try the news server again; you may need
several attempts to get a compliant IP.

Mike

Thaks chaps - yes it was the ip address - quick disconnect / reconnect and
my 31XXXXX is now an 86XXXX and I'm back on the newsgroup server. Many
thanks for your help

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 09:10:13 -0000, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

My access to news.btinternet.com news server seems to have died -
attempts to access result in 'needs authentication' error, whereas I'm
sure it never has previously - anyone else suffering?

Hence posting via Google Groups (arghhhhhh !!!)

Andrew

Quite possibly an IP address problem. Mine (also BT) has been
changing during the recent power outages. I simply log into the
router, execute a disconnect and then reconnect. Observe that the IP
address has changed and try the news server again; you may need
several attempts to get a compliant IP.

Mike

Thaks chaps - yes it was the ip address - quick disconnect / reconnect and
my 31XXXXX is now an 86XXXX and I'm back on the newsgroup server. Many
thanks for your help

Andrew

Excellent Andrew. I wonder if it is a location issue; I am in north
west Norfolk.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Random I suspect - I'm East Sussex. It's a relief not to have to use Google
Groups though

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2014 22:02, Andrew Mawson wrote:
My access to news.btinternet.com news server seems to have died - attempts to access result in 'needs authentication' error, whereas I'm sure it never has previously - anyone else suffering?

Hence posting via Google Groups (arghhhhhh !!!)

Andrew

I'm using it now ... no problem ...but I use news.btconnect.com port 119