Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler repair - new insulation on a Worcester Bosch 280?

Boiler servicing time on the old reliable 280RSF. The insulation board inside the combustion chamber lid is starting to fail though - going scrotty around the top edge.

I presume this lid is unheard of as a spare part. So I'm thinking rigid Kaowool board, from our local kiln supplier (Postage is impossible on this stuff, but I can drive over and pick a board up. Bit steep as a fix to buy a £90 half m^2 sheet, but it seems the most workable).

Is there any other way to repair this? Other than the British Gas answer.

Also discovered a lovely bodge put in there by the last Corgied "engineer" - one of the screws, which ought to be a screw with a gas seal washer under the head, had been lost and replaced with a woodscrew!

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
Boiler servicing time on the old reliable 280RSF. The insulation board inside the combustion chamber lid is starting to fail though - going scrotty around the top edge.

I presume this lid is unheard of as a spare part. So I'm thinking rigid Kaowool board, from our local kiln supplier (Postage is impossible on this stuff, but I can drive over and pick a board up. Bit steep as a fix to buy a £90 half m^2 sheet, but it seems the most workable).

Is there any other way to repair this? Other than the British Gas answer.

Also discovered a lovely bodge put in there by the last Corgied "engineer" - one of the screws, which ought to be a screw with a gas seal washer under the head, had been lost and replaced with a woodscrew!

Thanks

Have you tried bosch for the legit spare part? They seem to stock every
part for my boiler and might be the case for yours?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 February 2014 16:23:09 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
Have you tried bosch for the legit spare part?

Not on a Sunday! The service manual suggests that it is supposed to be a recognised service item and a spare, but the obvious "fans'n valves" web links don't list it and I suspect that as it's an old boiler (stopped making them 15 years back), the answer at either of the two local gas sheds will be rather stony.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Sunday, 9 February 2014 16:23:09 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
Have you tried bosch for the legit spare part?

Not on a Sunday! The service manual suggests that it is supposed to be a recognised service item and a spare, but the obvious "fans'n valves" web links don't list it and I suspect that as it's an old boiler (stopped making them 15 years back), the answer at either of the two local gas sheds will be rather stony.

If you have a part no, then just maybe worth chucking into ebay too.
If you do end up buying £90 worth of material, then maybe make a few
extras and flog em?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 February 2014 18:50:42 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
If you have a part no, then just maybe worth chucking into ebay too.

Only 280 bits on eBay seem to be the obvious ones and a whole (used) boiler for 99p! (If it were nearer, I'd be there)

Sad little addendum to the listing:
"Always mantained by British Gas. The week prior to replacement it had the expansion vessel replaced. (cost of part £150)."

Sensible non-BG parts cost on one of those is more like £70!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Dingley writes:
On Sunday, 9 February 2014 18:50:42 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
If you have a part no, then just maybe worth chucking into ebay too.

Only 280 bits on eBay seem to be the obvious ones and a whole (used) boiler for 99p! (If it were nearer, I'd be there)
Sad little addendum to the listing:
"Always mantained by British Gas. The week prior to replacement it had the expansion vessel replaced. (cost of part £150)."
Sensible non-BG parts cost on one of those is more like £70!

I picked up an "always maintained by British Gas" Keston for spares.
It looked like it had been running in sea water for 10 years, and
just about everything had been recently replaced, versus my 12 year
old Keston "always maintained by me", which still looks brand new,
inside and out.

To be fair, you do have to instantly leap on any problem with the
Kestons, or they quickly write themselves off. Of course this is
much easier if you are maintaining it yourself.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2014 10:28, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Andy Dingley writes:
[...]

I was just going to say, it's rare to find a Keston in good condition
these days, maintained by BG or not

--
Dawood
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy Dingley, Angela Parker. wrote:
Hi Andy. Just wondered if you managed to sort your insulation panel problem??
We're in the exact same situation and I'm trying desperately to source a
fireproof panel as BG have informed us we need a new boiler fitted!! There
must be a cheaper alternative.....

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...80-955314-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2017 20:44, Angela Parker. wrote:
replying to Andy Dingley, Angela Parker.Â* wrote:
Hi Andy. Just wondered if you managed to sort your insulation panel
problem??
We're in the exact same situation and I'm trying desperately to source a
fireproof panel as BG have informed us we need a new boiler fitted!! There
must be a cheaper alternative.....

He should have done. That was three years ago...

BG are notorious for saying you need a new boiler. They also are not the
cheapest for getting one fitted. Get another opinion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/dPP6s0G4yldMc2wvXKkKjR/british-gas-looking-after-your-world

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suspect the offending piece is Fibrefrax which can be bought in various sizes and thicknesses from trade sources. (Are HRPC or Parts Centre still going?)