Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Belt tensioner pulley needed

I'm giving the ride on mower its winter service and have discovered a belt
tensioner with a seized bearing. Google is not being very helpful in finding
a replacement. Can anyone suggest a source of generic tensioner pulleys, or
even a Mountfield parts site that makes sense.

The damn thing is riveted together with the bearing sandwiched in the middle
so just replacing the bearing is not that simple.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/14 12:27, Muddymike wrote:
I'm giving the ride on mower its winter service and have discovered a
belt tensioner with a seized bearing. Google is not being very helpful
in finding a replacement. Can anyone suggest a source of generic
tensioner pulleys, or even a Mountfield parts site that makes sense.

The damn thing is riveted together with the bearing sandwiched in the
middle so just replacing the bearing is not that simple.

Mike

Generally any Mountfield dealer will be able to get you the correct
spare - even if it means a complete subassembly.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2014 12:27, Muddymike wrote:
I'm giving the ride on mower its winter service and have discovered a
belt tensioner with a seized bearing. Google is not being very helpful
in finding a replacement. Can anyone suggest a source of generic
tensioner pulleys, or even a Mountfield parts site that makes sense.

The damn thing is riveted together with the bearing sandwiched in the
middle so just replacing the bearing is not that simple.

Mike

Several other sorts on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Idler-Belt...item35c7826635
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/14 12:27, Muddymike wrote:
I'm giving the ride on mower its winter service and have discovered a
belt tensioner with a seized bearing. Google is not being very helpful
in finding a replacement. Can anyone suggest a source of generic
tensioner pulleys, or even a Mountfield parts site that makes sense.

The damn thing is riveted together with the bearing sandwiched in the
middle so just replacing the bearing is not that simple.

Mike

Generally any Mountfield dealer will be able to get you the correct spare -
even if it means a complete subassembly.

Indeed I can order them from the local mower parts place, at 42 quid each!!!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2014 15:02, Muddymike wrote:
On 09/02/14 12:27, Muddymike wrote:
I'm giving the ride on mower its winter service and have discovered a
belt tensioner with a seized bearing. Google is not being very helpful
in finding a replacement. Can anyone suggest a source of generic
tensioner pulleys, or even a Mountfield parts site that makes sense.

The damn thing is riveted together with the bearing sandwiched in the
middle so just replacing the bearing is not that simple.

Mike

Generally any Mountfield dealer will be able to get you the correct
spare - even if it means a complete subassembly.

Indeed I can order them from the local mower parts place, at 42 quid
each!!!

Mike

You could buy a bearing, an angle grinder, and a pop riveter for that
and still have change!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2014 12:27, Muddymike wrote:
I'm giving the ride on mower its winter service and have discovered a
belt tensioner with a seized bearing. Google is not being very helpful
in finding a replacement. Can anyone suggest a source of generic
tensioner pulleys, or even a Mountfield parts site that makes sense.

The damn thing is riveted together with the bearing sandwiched in the
middle so just replacing the bearing is not that simple.

Mike

Several other sorts on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Idler-Belt...item35c7826635

That's a more sensible price, but my machine isn't listed.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2014 12:27, Muddymike wrote:
I'm giving the ride on mower its winter service and have discovered a
belt tensioner with a seized bearing. Google is not being very helpful
in finding a replacement. Can anyone suggest a source of generic
tensioner pulleys, or even a Mountfield parts site that makes sense.

The damn thing is riveted together with the bearing sandwiched in the
middle so just replacing the bearing is not that simple.

Mike

When I changed my car's timing belt I also changed the tensioner (came
in a kit). Some garages may have some old ones they don't want,

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I decided to take the plunge and drill out the rivets holding the two halves
together, no problem.
I have now ordered new bearings from simplybearings.co.uk Total cost £8.50
for two better quality SKF bearings than the Koyo ones that came out.
Rummaging around in the workshop I've found some aluminium rivets
(traditional ones not pop rivets) that are slightly larger dia than the ones
I drilled out and some small cheese headed screws with nuts that are
slightly smaller than the old rivets. I have screws of the same size as the
old rivets but the heads and nuts are too big to fit in the channel around
the pulley.

Perhaps I will use 4 screws and 4 rivets in place of the original 8 rivets
in each! BTW I discovered a second tensioner with the bearing in almost as
bad a condition as the first.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...

This is one of the problem pulleys.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...05/pulley.jpeg

Mike

belt tensioner mark Metalworking 8 January 24th 10 06:06 AM
Belt tensioner for lathe motor Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 2 March 11th 08 06:53 AM
Tool bit for V-Belt Pulley Brad Smallridge Metalworking 8 November 10th 07 06:25 PM
Flat Belt step pulley [email protected] Metalworking 4 October 29th 05 12:41 AM
Belt replacement on step pulley j-head F. George McDuffee Metalworking 19 August 24th 05 06:35 AM