Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to find replacement windows that aren't horrible UPVC?

We have a flat in North London (irrelevant where it is really) which has
its original 1960s metal framed windows still. We've been meaning to
replace them for years but have never managed to find what I would call
suitable replacements. We have (a little) more money now so we're
having another look at the problem.

So, where can one get replacement windows which have similarly
'lightweight/narrow' frames to what we have at present? There are two
lots of windows, downstairs (it's a duplex flat) there's a french window
with adjacent floor to ceiling glazine, upstairs there's tall windows
with centrally pivoted opening sections and opaque safety glass at the
bottom.

Ideally we'd like the replacemnts to look like the originals but
anything with minimal/narrow glazing bars would be acceptable. Price is
an issue, we don't want to spend tens of thousands.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, February 8, 2014 7:21:04 PM UTC, Roger Mills wrote:
On 08/02/2014 15:45, Broadback wrote:

On 08/02/2014 12:39, stuart noble wrote:

On 08/02/2014 11:45, wrote:

[...]

White aluminium is the way to go

+1

+2

Powder-coated thermal-break aluminium to be precise. These have much

slimmer sections than uPVC, *and* are stronger.

They cost a bit more though!

--

Cheers,

Roger

checked.

+1. you can get them coated with whatever colour you want. We have had ours for seven years without a problem + no decorating.

Jonathan