Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UPVC Replacement Windows... Surely this cant be right?

I was there when they fitted the French Doors. When it was offered up,
there must have been over 2 inches spare at the top. My thought here
is its been bad measuring and this has been the cause of this problem
as they have packed it with "extensions".

Sounds like someone miss-measured.

5mm top and sides would have been more likely

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robbo wrote:
I was there when they fitted the French Doors. When it was offered up,
there must have been over 2 inches spare at the top. My thought here
is its been bad measuring and this has been the cause of this problem
as they have packed it with "extensions".

Sounds like someone miss-measured.

5mm top and sides would have been more likely

Yes. Having said that, I have used extensions myself once before when
fitting an undersized uPVC window (I won't admit to mis-measuring the
size because I didn't - but it's a long, boring irrelevant story!). The
ones I used were provided by the window manufacturer, and sort of
slotted into the frame of the window, rather like a Lego brick.
Certainly very firm, and my completed window was as solid as if it had
been sized correctly.

But I don't know whether yours are the same. Whatever though; IIWY I'd
certainly be expecting some cash back in my pocket for the obvious
mismeasurement - leading to 2" less area glass and an ugly 2" thicker frame.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-12 18:18:04 +0000, Lobster said:

Robbo wrote:
[...]

Personally I'd make them change it. If the measurement is wrong and
it looks like crap, it's their issue and they should fix it. I might
also look for cash compensation *as well*, but there's no excuse for
poor materials and workmanship if a good price was paid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

guv wrote:
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 18:18:04 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Robbo wrote:
I was there when they fitted the French Doors. When it was offered up,
there must have been over 2 inches spare at the top. My thought here
is its been bad measuring and this has been the cause of this problem
as they have packed it with "extensions".
Sounds like someone miss-measured.

5mm top and sides would have been more likely

Yes. Having said that, I have used extensions myself once before when
fitting an undersized uPVC window (I won't admit to mis-measuring the
size because I didn't - but it's a long, boring irrelevant story!). The
ones I used were provided by the window manufacturer, and sort of
slotted into the frame of the window, rather like a Lego brick.
Certainly very firm, and my completed window was as solid as if it had
been sized correctly.

I wished I had taken a photo when it was first offered up. He reckons
I am mistaken. He says it was only 15mm for top and bottom inc (ie
30mm). There is absolutely no way that is true.

But I don't know whether yours are the same. Whatever though; IIWY I'd
certainly be expecting some cash back in my pocket for the obvious
mismeasurement - leading to 2" less area glass and an ugly 2" thicker frame.

Not only that, but the frame at the bottom is obviously higher than it
should be. I was told they were "low profile". Yeh right! its much
higher than what I had!

But taking those issues asside......

Should the PVC frames at the top and the bottom phsyically move? I
would suggest 5mm or maybe more is the estimate I would give. To me,
it feels like if I gave it a big yank, I could start to force the
frame out. I'm not going to try it - nor do Ithink in reality, that
would happen - but thats how much give there is!

If it should be solid (or at least more solid.) Is there any recourse?
As mentioned, he came back when I wasnt there adding further unsitely
screws into the frame. If has made it less shakey - but to me, I cant
see how it can be right its "fine" that it does move. I have had
people see them now and they all think it doesnt seem to be correclty
installed.

Just fill all gaps with expanding foam. That will stop it moving.

My whole house (timber framed) shakes like a drum when someone shuts one
of the heavy oak exterior doors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-12 18:18:04 +0000, Lobster
said:

Robbo wrote:
[...]

Bad measuring but I would have thought you could easily firm up a 2" gap
with extra fixings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-12 18:18:04 +0000, Lobster said:

But I don't know whether yours are the same. Whatever though; IIWY I'd
certainly be expecting some cash back in my pocket for the obvious
mismeasurement - leading to 2" less area glass and an ugly 2" thicker frame.

David

Personally I'd make them change it. If the measurement is wrong and
it looks like crap, it's their issue and they should fix it. I might
also look for cash compensation *as well*, but there's no excuse for
poor materials and workmanship if a good price was paid.

Bad measuring but I would have thought you could easily firm up a 2"
gap with extra fixings.

Well that's probably true, but isn't the point that it should have been
done properly to begin with. If adding bits didn't make an
unacceptable difference to the appearance and was as strong, and had
all the other properties, then fair enough, but it's not...

Replacement Windows Carl Home Ownership 29 June 17th 06 02:10 AM
Windows Replacement TerryB Home Repair 3 December 29th 05 05:01 PM
Vinyl Replacement Windows - Advice ? elvindeath Home Repair 2 November 16th 05 05:36 PM
Replacement vs. New Windows on Brick Rowhouse Andrew Home Repair 3 October 22nd 05 06:44 PM
New Construction vs Replacement Windows? Jeremy Robbins Home Repair 3 September 22nd 04 03:10 PM