Andrew

Default Replacement vs. New Windows on Brick Rowhouse

I need to replace 6 double hung and two awning windows on the front of
a 1917 brick rowhouse. The current windows are wood single pane -- I
don't know if they are original, but they are pretty old and drafty. I
am looking to have this done for me since I don't have the time or the
expertise to do it myself.

I was going to just do vinyl replacement windows -- The best quote that
I have gotten is abour $2,900 with a lifetime warrenty from a reputable
company (according to a local consumer magazine). However, I have been
looking around these groups and seen some concerns about reduced glass
area and cheap appearance (that might effect resale value).

How much more expensive might new windows be? Are they really
significantly better looking and brighter? Will it really effect my
resale value (I am in a neighborhood of Washington DC that is about to
gentrify). Are there any special concerns with putting new windows on
a brick house?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

wkearney99

Are there any special concerns with putting new windows on a brick house?

Yes, older buildings tend to go 'out of square' over time. Putting standard
sized windows into an opening that's settled crooked becomes a challenge.
The labor costs end up being as much, if not more, than just having gone
with custom windows in the first place.

That and getting reliable contracting work in the metro area is a pain in
the ass. Waaay too many 'day laborers' with no experience...

Andrew

Thanks for responding. I have a question....How does the issue of
standard vs. custom relate to replacement vs. new?

The replacement windows that I am looking at are cut to fit into the
existing frame. For new windows, the frame is removed and replaced. I
assume these windows would be sized to match the opening -- is this
correct?

Thanks again for your help.

Andrew

Edwin Pawlowski

"Andrew" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for responding. I have a question....How does the issue of
standard vs. custom relate to replacement vs. new?

The replacement windows that I am looking at are cut to fit into the
existing frame. For new windows, the frame is removed and replaced. I
assume these windows would be sized to match the opening -- is this
correct?

It has been many years since I've been in the window business. Some
policies may have change and will vary with different manufacturers.

We could by replacemnt windowns in any dimention in 1/2" intervals in width,
1" intervals in height.

New windows came in certain sizes common to new houses. They rarely fit any
of the older houses that tended to have narrow adnt all windows. Odd sizes
would be considered custom. They cost more and orders could not be
cancelled.

Each has advantages and disadvantages. Replacements wre easiest to install,
cheapest to buy, still gave good weatehr resistance. If time and money is
not a big consideration, look at the "new" styles

How PC are your PVC windows? Pete C UK diy 19 November 26th 04 08:32 PM
Wicks replacement windows zaax UK diy 1 July 1st 04 05:49 PM
Installing Replacement Windows José Domínguez Home Repair 4 March 7th 04 12:07 PM
Need advice on drafty wood windows Don Gross Home Ownership 8 December 3rd 03 01:44 AM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM