Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do you have to be CORGI registered ...

.... to work on the 'wet' part of a combi boiler - for instance to replace
the diverter valve. Or maybe a pump ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
... to work on the 'wet' part of a combi boiler - for instance to
replace the diverter valve. Or maybe a pump ?

Arfa

Firstly there no such thing as CORGI anymore (for years)

It is now GasSafe

You can do a full installation of a boiler apart from making the gas
connection and than get a GasSafe engineer to make the final connection
and commission the boiler.
The repairs you suggest should be fine as a diy as they have no bearing
on the gas side of the boiler.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2014 20:58, Bob Minchin wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:
... to work on the 'wet' part of a combi boiler - for instance to
replace the diverter valve. Or maybe a pump ?

Arfa

Firstly there no such thing as CORGI anymore (for years)

It is now GasSafe

You can do a full installation of a boiler apart from making the gas
connection and than get a GasSafe engineer to make the final connection
and commission the boiler.
The repairs you suggest should be fine as a diy as they have no bearing
on the gas side of the boiler.

Since when have you needed to be gassafe to DIY?
You didn't need to be corgi when it was around.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
... to work on the 'wet' part of a combi boiler - for instance to
replace the diverter valve. Or maybe a pump ?

Arfa

Firstly there no such thing as CORGI anymore (for years)

It is now GasSafe

You can do a full installation of a boiler apart from making the gas
connection and than get a GasSafe engineer to make the final connection
and commission the boiler.
The repairs you suggest should be fine as a diy as they have no bearing on
the gas side of the boiler.

OK, fair enough on the name, but same difference.

I too thought that it was ok to work on at least the wet part of the boiler.
The diverter valve on my daughter's Alpha 24 has failed (again). Last time,
I got the parts, and a gas registered plumber chum fitted it for her. I
remember it being a bit of a struggle to get out, involving big spanners and
slip wrenches and scuffed knuckles. She is no longer in touch with this guy,
so she asked me to do it. 'Meaty' spanner work and mechanicals, are not
really my bag, so I asked my mate who does a lot of tricky plumbing work on
vacuum pumps and stuff, if he would come and lend his expertise and suitable
tools. Yep, no probs he said, but first just let me check with my (recently
certified gas-safe) mate that it's ok for a non registered person to work on
a boiler.

Later in the day, he came back to me and said that his mate had torn him a
new arsehole, and said that it was utterly illegal to carry out any work on
any gas powered appliance, that involved removal of the outer case, and that
under no circumstances should he even consider it.

You would have thought that as this guy has just completed a three year
course (apparently) to gain this qualification, that he would have correct
knowledge on the matter, but I have to say, it didn't sound right to me, and
now the good folk on here seem to be agreeing with what I thought ...

That said, a recent storyline on Corrie (yeah, sad, I know) saw one of the
characters do some work on a boiler. I don't believe it was on the gas side,
but later, there was a problem, and the guy was arrested on suspicion of
causing a hazard by doing the work and not being qualified. I can't remember
what the final outcome was, except that ultimately, he wasn't charged, so
maybe it was accepted that he did not do any work on the gas side of things,
so that was ok ??

Confused ...

Arfa :-\

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, February 3, 2014 9:45:06 AM UTC, Arfa Daily wrote:

Later in the day, he came back to me and said that his mate had torn him a

new arsehole, and said that it was utterly illegal to carry out any work on

any gas powered appliance, that involved removal of the outer case, and that

under no circumstances should he even consider it.

You would have thought that as this guy has just completed a three year

course (apparently) to gain this qualification, that he would have correct

knowledge on the matter, but I have to say, it didn't sound right to me, and

now the good folk on here seem to be agreeing with what I thought ...

The relevant legislation is the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

You do not have to be registered or qualified to work on the components that do not involve gas or combustion products.

You have to be COMPETENT to work on the components that involve gas or combustion products and that includes removing the cover.

The statute does not define 'competent' for DIYers. If something goes horribly wrong, you probably weren't competent; you may also be blamed for anything that subsequently does go wrong, even if not caused by your work.

You have to be Gas Safe registered to work on gas appliances as an employed or self-employed person (including landlords working on appliances in their properties).

That's what the legislation says; you can look it up on-line if you doubt me. If you ask a Gas Safe person they will, almost invariably, misrepresent what the legislation does say; they have a vested interest in doing so.

The 3-year course is part-time (day release). Gas Fitters like to think it makes them a Gas Engineer and competent in heating; my experiences suggest otherwise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Onetap writes:

[...]

Actually, that's what most of them genuinely think, even though it's wrong.

The 3-year course is part-time (day release). Gas Fitters like to think it makes them a Gas Engineer and competent in heating; my experiences suggest otherwise.

A course and/or certificate does not make you compitent, otherwise a Gas
Safe engineer could never be held legally incompitent, which they are
from time to time.

The other aspect of this is knowing if opening the boiler case is
interfering with the gas side of the boiler operation. The boiler
casing often forms part of the sealed combustion path, such that
fitting it incorrectly or refitting with a worn out seal would
leave the boiler unsafe. Probably the best guide to this is if
the boiler can be safely operated with the cover removed for
servicing, etc. Check what the installation/servicing instructions
say. Some of the ones I look after can, others can't. If yours can't,
then opening the cover is technically interfering with the gas side
of it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2014 13:25, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The other aspect of this is knowing if opening the boiler case is
interfering with the gas side of the boiler operation. The boiler
casing often forms part of the sealed combustion path, such that
fitting it incorrectly or refitting with a worn out seal would
leave the boiler unsafe. Probably the best guide to this is if
the boiler can be safely operated with the cover removed for
servicing, etc. Check what the installation/servicing instructions
say. Some of the ones I look after can, others can't. If yours can't,
then opening the cover is technically interfering with the gas side
of it.

A trend I have noted on many modern ones is to arrange for the fan to
draw the combustion air from inside of the case, which is in turn vented
via the balanced flue. Thus in effect running the boiler casework at a
slight negative pressure. Good idea in the sense of making sure that all
fumes are contained should any combustion products escape from the
combustion chamber, but it does have the implication that they are
running like an open flue appliance - in effect drawing combustion air
from the room[1] - when the outer case is off.

[1] Although the air side of the flue is also open to the room in the
same circumstance, so you know for sure there is adequate ventilation
available.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The other aspect of this is knowing if opening the boiler case is
interfering with the gas side of the boiler operation. The boiler
casing often forms part of the sealed combustion path, such that
fitting it incorrectly or refitting with a worn out seal would
leave the boiler unsafe. Probably the best guide to this is if
the boiler can be safely operated with the cover removed for
servicing, etc. Check what the installation/servicing instructions
say. Some of the ones I look after can, others can't. If yours can't,
then opening the cover is technically interfering with the gas side
of it.

--
Andrew Gabriel

On this one, the case is a 'fits where it touches' cosmetic exterior to the
guts. The electronics and wets are all located in the boiler bottom section.
The gas combustion components are contained within a separately sealed
enclosure called 'the room sealed chamber' and the combustion chamber is
another sealed box within that one. Neither is disturbed in any way by
removal of the outer case.

The manual mentions that "it is the law" that service work be carried out by
a "competent i.e. CORGI registered person"

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
You can do a full installation of a boiler apart from making the gas
connection and than get a GasSafe engineer to make the final
connection and commission the boiler. The repairs you suggest should
be fine as a diy as they have no bearing on the gas side of the
boiler.

OK, fair enough on the name, but same difference.

I too thought that it was ok to work on at least the wet part of the
boiler. The diverter valve on my daughter's Alpha 24 has failed (again).
Last time, I got the parts, and a gas registered plumber chum fitted it
for her.

If it were your boiler in your house you can do any work you wish on it
gas included.

Anything else is open to debate.

--
*I speak fluent patriarchy but it's not my mother tongue

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Was any money going to change hands? That makes a difference as the
regulations require *everyone* to be competent but then provide in
addition that anyone doing work as an employee or self-employed person
must be registered. So the Gas Safe mate may have spoken strongly
because he thought the non-Gas Safe mate was going to do the work for
reward.

And there's also possibly the question of credibility - ie if something
went wrong would all concerned believe everything was done by competent
people working for nowt?
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2014 20:39, Arfa Daily wrote:
.... to work on the 'wet' part of a combi boiler - for instance to
replace the diverter valve. Or maybe a pump ?

Arfa

No. You don't have to be corgi registered to work on any part of a
combi boiler