Jinge

Default Corgi registered or not..?

My question is from a customer's point of view, rather than an
installer. I have recently had fitted a new kitchen (including Gas
oven and hob) and a new central heating system including radiators.
The property is being renovated prior to letting.

The problem is that I phoned Corgi yesterday to see if the installer
(who has just set up a company with a colleague who both used to work
for a reputable kitchen fitter) was Corgi registered. However, they
had no record of him. I remember him showing me a card a few weeks ago
prior to the work. It was white, with a number and his photo with
Corgi on it and some info on the back. Being non-the wiser, I assumed
this was his Corgi membership card meaning he was registered.

I am now very worried that he is not registered, but cannot understand
why he would have done the work (he seemed to know what he was doing)
and why he showed me that card. He is a trustworthy chap and lives in
the same street as I do.

I also do not understand that he showed me the card, but Corgi did not
recognise his details. I asked if they registered students, but
apparently they do not.

The thing that made me suspicious in the first place was that he said
he was unable to certify the work for letting purpose, as his Corgi
registration type didnt allow him to do this. He said he would be able
to certify domestic properties, but would need to complete another
module and send a further fee to Corgi to enable him to certify for
Landlords. I find this unbelievable as Corgi have clearly stated to me
on the phone that if the installer if Corgi registered, then he could
certify either property (whether domestic or for letting).

Both my wife and I have spent hours on the phone and on the internet
(including this forum which is very useful). We have been left a bit
confused, as the advice we have been given by most people is that the
installer needs to be Corgi registered to touch gas. However, people
form the forums have said he doesn't necessarily need to be Corgi
registered, just competent in the eyes of the law.

I would greatly appreciate your advice on this rather stressful
matter.

He now tells me he has a certificate from the "Guild of Gas Fitters".
I've never heard of that, nor is there anything on the web sbout it.
Is he telling porkies...?!

Many thanks,
BigWallop

"Jinge" wrote in message
om...
[...]

To carry out any gas work for profit i.e. domestic or commercial
installations for payment, the installer must be a registered CORGI
installer.

If CORGI don't have his details, then he ain't CORGI registered.

The gumpf about having to do extra modules is bull, as the requirements for
CORGI registration are in his competence during test installations, which
CORGI choose at random, on any the work he has carried out and registered
with them as being complete.

If he has gone through this process then he'll know how it works, so ask him
to explain how one would go about obtaining the CORGI registered mark for
certification. If he can't tell you that it is through voluntary issue of
work he has carried out and which has been independently inspected by CORGI,
then he's talking codswallop.

That's why they don't have his details, he isn't registered, and has
produced a false document of registration. FRAUD !!! I think it's called.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

geoff

In message , BigWallop
writes

"Jinge" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

And I've never heard of the "Guild of Gas fitters"
--
geoff
Chris Oates

"geoff" wrote in message

And I've never heard of the "Guild of Gas fitters"

I have...
http://www.swatgas.freeserve.co.uk/guild.html

geoff

In message , Chris Oates
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

And I've never heard of the "Guild of Gas fitters"

I have...
http://www.swatgas.freeserve.co.uk/guild.html

Hmmm - not much real use though ...
--
geoff

John Rumm

Chris Oates wrote:

I have...
http://www.swatgas.freeserve.co.uk/guild.html

Impressive looking site that - fills one with confidence.... NOT!

--
Cheers,

John.

BigWallop

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Chris Oates wrote:

I have...
http://www.swatgas.freeserve.co.uk/guild.html

Impressive looking site that - fills one with confidence.... NOT!
--
Cheers,

John.

Ha Ha Ha !!! Took the words right out my mouth. :-)) The background .gif
is wonderful. LOL

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BigWallop

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Chris Oates wrote:

I have...
http://www.swatgas.freeserve.co.uk/guild.html

Impressive looking site that - fills one with confidence.... NOT!

--
Cheers,

John.

Does the SWATGAS name stand for "She Who Attaches The Gas" which is an
abbreviation of SWMBOTATGAS or "She Who Must Be Obeyed That Attaches The
Gas" ? :-))

(sorry ! getting tired and weary sitting here doing nothing)

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Chris Oates

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Chris Oates wrote:

I have...
http://www.swatgas.freeserve.co.uk/guild.html

Impressive looking site that - fills one with confidence.... NOT!
--
Cheers,

John.

Ha Ha Ha !!! Took the words right out my mouth. :-)) The background

..gif
is wonderful. LOL

anyone know how much Corgi registration is ??

BigWallop

"Chris Oates" wrote in message
.. .

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Chris Oates wrote:

I have...
http://www.swatgas.freeserve.co.uk/guild.html

Impressive looking site that - fills one with confidence.... NOT!
--
Cheers,

John.

Ha Ha Ha !!! Took the words right out my mouth. :-)) The background

.gif
is wonderful. LOL

anyone know how much Corgi registration is ??

This, I think, explains it Chris :

http://tinyurl.com/okvz

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Ian Clowes

(Jinge) wrote in message . com...
My question is from a customer's point of view, rather than an
installer. I have recently had fitted a new kitchen (including Gas
oven and hob) and a new central heating system including radiators.
The property is being renovated prior to letting.

Hi

There are examples of the new colour Corgi cards on the corgi-gas
website. I think the old ones were B+W, and perhaps are still in
circulation.

AIUI, there different CORGI modules so someone may be able to
undertake some forms of work but not others. I couldn't find a list
of categories on the Corgi site. I wasn't aware that being able to
fit an appliance but not certify it for landlord regulations purposes
was a division they had, so he may be saying that to mislead you.

From a pragmatic point of view you need a landlord's certificate, and
probably expected him to give you one. Whether or not this was his
understanding is probably a moot point, since based on what you've
said he has done so for he's probably unable to issue one (legally).

Depending on his general character he may or may not be willing to try
and resolve this to your satisfaction. By character I mean propensity
for violence, fear of prosecution by Corgi, etc. He may have thought
he could make a few quid from you without causing you or he any
inconvenience, and might just want to keep as close to that as he can.

Assuming he's of suitable charachter, explain to him that you expect a
certificate, and will leave it with him to get one sorted out for you
by (say) the end of the week. You might want to ensure that the
inspection explicitly includes a review of all installations and a gas
soundness test. I'm not sure if a standard check would cover all
this.

If that all goes well then you're sorted out on a personal level.

There is then the broader question of what you do about his Corgi
status. It sounds like you don't want to cause this fellow trouble,
and I might personally be inclined not to pursue it if the testing all
goes well.

The Corgi stuff is expensive. I know people who were ticketed by
their employer but haven't kept up the ticket after leaving that
employer. I know others who paid personally (because they were
self-employed) but have let it lapse due to decreasing return on the
investment. Both these sets of people are (probably) competent to do
the work, although not legally able to. You mentioned that your chap
was previously employed by a kitchen fitting company, so he may fall
into this class.

There's no good excuse for what he's doing, but maybe one of the bad
ones will convince you its not worth pursuing.

If you're doing a house up for letting then I'm sure you've got lots
on your plate. For personal sanity reasons I'd try to put this whole
thing behind me as quickly as possible. You can always pick up the
registration issue in a few months if you do nothing now and its still
on your mind then. I know some here will disagree with that
sentiment/proposal.

HTH
IanC
Andrew

"BigWallop" wrote in message ...

The gumpf about having to do extra modules is bull, as the requirements for
CORGI registration are in his competence during test installations, which
CORGI choose at random, on any the work he has carried out and registered
with them as being complete.

Sorry, but your gumpf is equally bull. If you look at the Corgi
website you'll find:

"In order to become CORGI-registered, you must first pass your ACS
assessments. To do so, unless you have previously worked in the gas
industry (ie you are renewing your ACS after a break) you will need to
attend a course at your local college. ACS is the very minimum
requirement for CORGI registration. Once you have this, the work that
you can carry out is determined by which specific ACS course you have
passed assessments in. CORGI maintains a list of which assessments
each CORGI-registered installer holds and when they expire"

So, the work a corgi registered fitter is allowed to do depends upon
his qualifications. The plumber I had to fit a new boiler would not
move the cooker connection at the same time as he was not registered
to do so.

Andrew
Owain

"Ian Clowes" wrote
| From a pragmatic point of view you need a landlord's certificate, and
| probably expected him to give you one. ...
| Assuming he's of suitable charachter, explain to him that you expect a
| certificate, and will leave it with him to get one sorted out for you
| by (say) the end of the week. You might want to ensure that the
| inspection explicitly includes a review of all installations and a gas
| soundness test. I'm not sure if a standard check would cover all
| this.

The corgi CP12 form includes a numbered list of all appliances, including
location, type, made, model, flue type, operating pressure or heat uinput,
check for ventilation, flue, termination etc. There is also a Gass
Installation: soundness test which must be ticked pass or fail.

| If that all goes well then you're sorted out on a personal level.

But this is a rented property. If an accident were to occur the OP could
find himself facing a charge of manslaughter.

The landlord certificate has the fitter's Corgi number on it; it would be
simple to check that number back with Corgi. It may be that they have a name
mis-spelled or under a different trading name, but a check with the number
should be conclusive.

Owain

Ian Clowes

Owain wrote:
But this is a rented property. If an accident were to occur the OP could
find himself facing a charge of manslaughter.

Hi

I think you're misunderstanding my proposal.

What I'm suggesting is that the fellow who's done the work is probably
not able to issue a certificate, and the OP shouldn't accept one from him.

However, if the original fitter knows somone who can (and will) come in,
check over all the work and issue the relevant paperwork then the OP
will be sorted out. The suggestion is based on the hint that the fitter
originally worked at a business which was performing this type of work
legally, and that he knows someone there who will get things sorted out
in a non-dodgy manner.

It would also be wise for the OP to be sure the new tradesman does
actualy check everything over, rather than just pop in with the relevant
piece of paper to help is mate out.

Are you suggesting that is type of regularisation is not possible?

Cheers
IanC

Ed Sirett

Jinge wrote:

[...]

See the FAQ.
It could well be that he was registered as an 'operative' under the last
firm he worked for.
But now he is self-employed / in partnership he is operating under a
different name.
If the card he showed you was valid for this year till March 04 and had
his photo and name on it I would leave the matter rest. He will register
in his new business next year.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Jinge

Dear All

Many thanks for all your advice and to those who emailed me directly.

Update so far.....

The fitter has arranged a corgi registered guy (his mate!) to do the
certificate in a few days. It is obvious that my original fitter is
not corgi registered but will be using this job as part of his
assessment, under the guise of being supervised the entire time (which
is untrue as we saw him carry out the work on his own, and don't know
his mate from Adam), and getting paid for the whole thing.

The fitter has even told me that his corgi mate has been on holiday
abroad the entire time he was doing the job!!

We still owe this guy a lot of money for work he has still not
completed and in the last few days various concerns have come to light
over his competence in plumbing installations - we found out that he
had not even installed the washing machine and dishwasher properly!
The engineer for the appliance company said he should not really have
put it right as it would have invalidated the guarantee, but he did it
out of goodwill! We also have concerns over taps, pipes and lord knows
what else is awaiting us after further use of the facilities. Even
though we owe him £1000s he has still dragged the job out, which has
caused us to lose a tenant on the property already and has caused us
so much stress but he almost doesn't seem bothered. To find out he has
been lying to us all along and breaking the law to boot is just
getting too much....
Owain

"Jinge" wrote
[snip tales of woe]
| Even though we owe him £1000s he has still dragged the job out,
| which has caused us to lose a tenant on the property already

That's a quantifiable financial loss. I think you need to Call Your
Solicitor.

Owain

Andy Hall

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:26:08 +0100, "Owain"
wrote:

"Jinge" wrote
[snip tales of woe]
| Even though we owe him £1000s he has still dragged the job out,
| which has caused us to lose a tenant on the property already

That's a quantifiable financial loss. I think you need to Call Your
Solicitor.

Owain

I've had a similar situation, although with a different type of
project, where the supplier took longer than stated, didn't complete
certain aspects properly and did some property damage through
incompetence and lack of supervision into the bargain.

I had withheld the remaining payment of just under £10k. The
supplier had agreed to only a £1500 deduction to cover the property
repair, so we were a long way apart.

I gave them several opportunities to fix the other outstanding issues
and they failed miserably, still persisting in holding out for
complete payment. After about a month, and several letters, they
brought in their solicitor who began threatening legal action. They
hadn't prepared their position at all well and I sent them
photographs, copies of a diary that I had kept etc. The offer was
upped to £2500 on their side and at that point I contacted my
solicitor.

I bought an hour of his time to discuss how to handle this at a cost
of just over £100, which in the context of what was at stake, was not
a lot. Nevertheless, the costs can quickly mount if he were expected
to do much.

I had included in my counter claim amounts for time lost supervising
the supplier's subcontractors and other inconveniences. His advice
was that unless I was self employed or in a profession that bills
explicitly for time then a court would be unlikely to take that time
and its cost into account.

His additional advice, if I was prepared to settle at the figure, was
to offer to settle at a figure just under £5000 (e.g. £4995), and to
pay the difference to reduce the outstanding balance to this figure.
The strategy behind this is that this is the break point where a claim
would be heard in the Small Claims Division rather than in full court.
Any solicitor will know this and it's virtually a coded message that
one understands the game.

I was advised that in general, the small claims court will err towards
the customer in this type of case where a supplier has been
incompetent, done poor work etc. Moreover, the case will be heard
in the locality of the defendant, and in this case, the supplier was
half way across the country. This would have the potential of
incurring a lot of professional cost for them, as well as management
time.

After three further exchanges of letter where I stood firm and called
their bluff, the supplier's solicitor had clearly been told to settle.
We did so, at £4000 plus £1500 worth of other goods from the supplier.

Throughout this exercise, I kept records of what was happening and
every letter was sent by special delivery so make sure that there was
a record of signature and receipt.

I also made sure that each letter repeated the points of the previous
ones in full (word processors are great for this) and got up to seven
pages at the end, with plenty of cross references. Of course, the
supplier's solicitor would have to read all of this stuff to be able
to follow the details. I estimate that that would have cost them
quite a bit in legal fees.

A dispute with an individual would not need to have this amount of
standoff, but nevertheless the principle of withholding payment and
making the supplier take legal action is a sound one.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Ian Clowes

Andy Hall wrote:

His additional advice, if I was prepared to settle at the figure, was
to offer to settle at a figure just under £5000 (e.g. £4995), and to
pay the difference to reduce the outstanding balance to this figure.
The strategy behind this is that this is the break point where a claim
would be heard in the Small Claims Division rather than in full court.
Any solicitor will know this and it's virtually a coded message that
one understands the game.

Hi Andy

Just to clarify the aim here...

They still want money. Are you saying that since its under £5000 it will
only be heard in the SCD if they sue for it? I thought their solicitor
could ask for it to be heard in the full court?

IanC

Andy Hall

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:10:16 +0100, Ian Clowes
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

His additional advice, if I was prepared to settle at the figure, was
to offer to settle at a figure just under £5000 (e.g. £4995), and to
pay the difference to reduce the outstanding balance to this figure.
The strategy behind this is that this is the break point where a claim
would be heard in the Small Claims Division rather than in full court.
Any solicitor will know this and it's virtually a coded message that
one understands the game.

Hi Andy

Just to clarify the aim here...

They still want money. Are you saying that since its under £5000 it will
only be heard in the SCD if they sue for it? I thought their solicitor
could ask for it to be heard in the full court?

IanC

IANAL, but as it was explained to me by someone who is, this is a
question of normal practice and costs.

Generally, small claims procedure is used for amounts under £5k, fast
track for £5k to £15k and multi-track above that. Details are on the
Court Service web site.

http://www.courtservice.gov.uk/forms...forms/n150.pdf

The point is, that going for the fast track could be done, but would
have to be justified (not likely here) and would imply more costs.

Also, we should keep in mind the storyline from the OP. There seems
to be fairly clear indication that the installer has broken the law,
and remember that this is a criminal offence.

I had occasion to check an installer's registration with CORGI on
Friday. This particular person is employed and there is a CORGI
registration for his firm. He is registered under the firm's
registration and certified to do specific work. You can ask CORGI
whether an individual is certified to do X but they won't give a list
of a person's qualifications. Moreover, in the case of this type of
registration, the individual can only do work for the firm and
invoiced by the firm. He is not allowed to do work on the side -
that apparently requires an individual registration.
Either way, they can check by firm or by individual, and it does sound
as though the OP's installer falls outside of either category.

In the light of that, I wonder whether he would really want to involve
himself in the court system, albeit a civil action? I suppose that
the OP couldn't really hold that up as a reason not to pay since it is
tantamount to blackmail.

It seems that the scenario could result in the installer trying to
pursue "alternative means" of debt collection. If he did nothing,
which is probably unlikely it leaves the matter rather open ended.

Faced with this situation I think that I would do the following:

- I wouldn't accept the offer of "a mate" doing an inspection and
check.

- Get an independent and preferably expensive organisation like BG to
come and do an inspection and issue a certificate.

- Get an Institute of Plumbing registered plumber to check the
plumbing work and provide a report. Not that I set huge store by this
organisation but it's as good as it gets.

- Have the two contractors above carry out any remedial work required.

- Send payment to the original fitter less any and all costs from
above, with an accompanying letter saying that this is in full and
final settlement.

- Report the guy to CORGI. Not only does he appear to have done a
poor job, but he also appears to have committed a criminal offence and
to have borne false witness to try and cover that up.

Faced with that, I don't think that the guy would be very likely to
pursue a claim.

I suppose that one could go as far as to issue a claim for loss of
rent for having lost a potential tenant - whether that would stand up,
I don't know.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Gnube

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:21:59 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

fast track for £5k to £15k and multi-track above that.

Blimey, they'll be doing "next day before 10:00 a.m." next! ;O)

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
Andy Hall

wrote:

fast track for £5k to £15k and multi-track above that.

Blimey, they'll be doing "next day before 10:00 a.m." next! ;O)

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}

Well.....

Look at the court service web site. There is now an on-line route
to having your dispute.

Since so many cases are of a very similar structure, why not?

In case you were wondering, yes, the Americans have already called it
E-justice.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Owain

"Andy Hall" wrote
| I suppose that one could go as far as to issue a claim for loss of
| rent for having lost a potential tenant - whether that would stand up,
| I don't know.

IANAL but I think it would have a good chance. It is an actual,
quantifiable, loss of income suffered (rather than a salaried person's loss
of time, which as you say the lower courts are reluctant to award). Moreover
as the fitter was, presumably, explicitly asked for a Landlord's Safety
Certificate, he would have been aware that the OP was intending to rent out
the property, and this loss would therefore be Reasonably Foreseable.

Owain

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
So, the work a corgi registered fitter is allowed to do depends upon
his qualifications. The plumber I had to fit a new boiler would not
move the cooker connection at the same time as he was not registered
to do so.

Doesn't say much for their standards if he doesn't know about pipe
fitting.

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Ed Sirett

Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
So, the work a corgi registered fitter is allowed to do depends upon
his qualifications. The plumber I had to fit a new boiler would not
move the cooker connection at the same time as he was not registered
to do so.

Doesn't say much for their standards if he doesn't know about pipe
fitting.

This fitter seems to be scrupulously honest i.e that he has pipe-work
and boiler certification but not cookers and hobs.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:
Doesn't say much for their standards if he doesn't know about pipe
fitting.

This fitter seems to be scrupulously honest i.e that he has pipe-work
and boiler certification but not cookers and hobs.

I'd love to know what is so special about fitting a cooker or hob that it
requires special certification?

When the electrical one comes in will the same thing apply to fitting a
40 or 60 watt lamp?

--
*You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Ed Sirett

Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
Ed Sirett wrote:
Doesn't say much for their standards if he doesn't know about pipe
fitting.

This fitter seems to be scrupulously honest i.e that he has pipe-work
and boiler certification but not cookers and hobs.

I'd love to know what is so special about fitting a cooker or hob that it
requires special certification?

Frankly the appliance aspects of gas fitting is an expensive but
necessary additional cost to becoming certified.

Something like 75% of the whole subject is covered in the 'core
curriculum' which is shown as 'pipe work' on the back of the CORGI
card. Then each additional appliance group has a few extras to add to
the curriculum.

In the case of cookers this would be mostly in the area of
[1] Regulations concerning the use of bayonet fittings and flexible
hoses.
[2] Stability devices.

All the controls, regulators etc. are covered in the core.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Junior Member

I am a CORGI registered engineer,
so I think I should clear up a few points,

If the bloke who did the work was previously CORGI registered with his old firm , he would have a card , when he left that firm it would be very easy for him to show his old card , if you look on the card above his name it will tell you the company name linked to the CORGI number , if he no longer works for that company , then he is no longer CORGI registered .

There are lots of modules which you need to carry out different types of work . The first module is listed on the back of the CORGI card as pipework , this is the minimum qualification to be a gas engineer , when this runs out all other modules are void , with this module the engineer can carry out a landlords saftey check , he can also install pipework , but he cannot comision , repair or service any appliances .

The installer who fitted the boiler but would not work on the cooker was correct , he would need a seperate module to install a cooker or hob .

here is a list of the different modules for domestic natural gas ,

Pipework
Cookers
Fires
Water Heaters
Central Heating
Warm Air
Tumble Dryers
Leisure Equipment
Meters

So you can see that someone may have the central heating module but not the cookers module .

Personally I think you should ask CORGI to come and inspect any work that you are not happy with , I'm pretty sure it wont cost you anything , and they will prosecute anyone for unsafe work or working without registration .
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
[...]

Hi I'm also Corgi Registered, but I thought to do a Landlord check on a fire for instance that you would need fires on your registration. I have all apliances on mine, I certainly wouldn't want to say a fire was safe for a tenant who we are there to protect from harm if I didn't have the specific training and experience. Only today I had to cap off a gas supply rather than pass a fire. The chimney needs a lot of work, until that's done no fire. Had I not had fires on my registration and I'd just done a spillage test it would have passed.