BigWallop

Default Corgi registered or not..?

"Jinge" wrote in message
om...
My question is from a customer's point of view, rather than an
installer. I have recently had fitted a new kitchen (including Gas
oven and hob) and a new central heating system including radiators.
The property is being renovated prior to letting.

The problem is that I phoned Corgi yesterday to see if the installer
(who has just set up a company with a colleague who both used to work
for a reputable kitchen fitter) was Corgi registered. However, they
had no record of him. I remember him showing me a card a few weeks ago
prior to the work. It was white, with a number and his photo with
Corgi on it and some info on the back. Being non-the wiser, I assumed
this was his Corgi membership card meaning he was registered.

I am now very worried that he is not registered, but cannot understand
why he would have done the work (he seemed to know what he was doing)
and why he showed me that card. He is a trustworthy chap and lives in
the same street as I do.

I also do not understand that he showed me the card, but Corgi did not
recognise his details. I asked if they registered students, but
apparently they do not.

The thing that made me suspicious in the first place was that he said
he was unable to certify the work for letting purpose, as his Corgi
registration type didnt allow him to do this. He said he would be able
to certify domestic properties, but would need to complete another
module and send a further fee to Corgi to enable him to certify for
Landlords. I find this unbelievable as Corgi have clearly stated to me
on the phone that if the installer if Corgi registered, then he could
certify either property (whether domestic or for letting).

Both my wife and I have spent hours on the phone and on the internet
(including this forum which is very useful). We have been left a bit
confused, as the advice we have been given by most people is that the
installer needs to be Corgi registered to touch gas. However, people
form the forums have said he doesn't necessarily need to be Corgi
registered, just competent in the eyes of the law.

I would greatly appreciate your advice on this rather stressful
matter.

He now tells me he has a certificate from the "Guild of Gas Fitters".
I've never heard of that, nor is there anything on the web sbout it.
Is he telling porkies...?!

Many thanks,

To carry out any gas work for profit i.e. domestic or commercial
installations for payment, the installer must be a registered CORGI
installer.

If CORGI don't have his details, then he ain't CORGI registered.

The gumpf about having to do extra modules is bull, as the requirements for
CORGI registration are in his competence during test installations, which
CORGI choose at random, on any the work he has carried out and registered
with them as being complete.

If he has gone through this process then he'll know how it works, so ask him
to explain how one would go about obtaining the CORGI registered mark for
certification. If he can't tell you that it is through voluntary issue of
work he has carried out and which has been independently inspected by CORGI,
then he's talking codswallop.

That's why they don't have his details, he isn't registered, and has
produced a false document of registration. FRAUD !!! I think it's called.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com