Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Re-using cable

I'm wiring up some sockets in a shop, I have a pile of cable from the
previous sockets that i've removed.

What's the consensus on reusing the cable?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 28 January 2014 22:10 R D S wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I'm wiring up some sockets in a shop, I have a pile of cable from the
previous sockets that i've removed.

What's the consensus on reusing the cable?

If the job is permanant, don't be cheap ;-

Cable is not *that* expensive.

OTOH, a temporary wiring job is another matter.

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal
coverage

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 28/01/2014 22:10, R D S wrote:
I'm wiring up some sockets in a shop, I have a pile of cable from the
previous sockets that i've removed.

What's the consensus on reusing the cable?

What's the length of the lease on the shop?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S writes:
I'm wiring up some sockets in a shop, I have a pile of cable from the
previous sockets that i've removed.

What's the consensus on reusing the cable?

You would be assuming it was good to start with, was installed without
any damage, wasn't damaged in use, and most questionable of all, wasn't
damaged during removal.

So unless you were in control of all those processes and can vouch for
it, I would say it's probably not a good idea. I have done it only very
occasionally, and AFAICR, only used it to strip short lengths of singles
from.

I've seen electricians take away long lengths of thick SWA to reuse,
but T&E isn't anywhere near as expensive.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
R D S writes:
I'm wiring up some sockets in a shop, I have a pile of cable from the
previous sockets that i've removed.

What's the consensus on reusing the cable?

You would be assuming it was good to start with, was installed without
any damage, wasn't damaged in use, and most questionable of all,
wasn't damaged during removal.

So unless you were in control of all those processes and can vouch for
it, I would say it's probably not a good idea. I have done it only
very occasionally, and AFAICR, only used it to strip short lengths of
singles from.

I know the the OP is talking about no more than 10 metre runs and that the
cable will not be plastered over. So in this case I would say reuse the old
stuff, if he needs to replace the old cable because there is a problem then
is easy to do so.

This is a one off case of suggesting the reuse of T&E. It is not often I
would suggest resusing it.

I've seen electricians take away long lengths of thick SWA to reuse,

I guess that the 80m of SWA in the unit that we reuse - if laid from end to
end every time we use it - is now long enough to reach France

--

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2014 22:10, R D S wrote:
I'm wiring up some sockets in a shop, I have a pile of cable from the
previous sockets that i've removed.

What's the consensus on reusing the cable?

Only if you have to, and are sure its in decent condition. Its also
slower and harder to work with stuff you can just pull off a reel.

Take great care doing insulation resistance tests at the end as well to
make sure its working to spec. (it will only take one failure to make
the cost saving redundant).

You would do better buying new and weighing in the old stuff at a
scrappie IMHO

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 22:10:04 +0000 (UTC), R D S wrote:

What's the consensus on reusing the cable?

Old or new colours...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 22:10:04 +0000 (UTC), R D S wrote:

What's the consensus on reusing the cable?

Old or new colours...

I preferentially use whatever it's already wired up with,
but would never use old colours in an installation which
didn't already use them.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"R D S" wrote in message
I'm wiring up some sockets in a shop, I have a pile of cable from the
previous sockets that i've removed.

What's the consensus on reusing the cable?

And you will have to make sure the electricity runs in the same direction as
before.
Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had a bad experience a couple of years ago, when an 80ft length of
2.5 T & E went leaky after 20 years of usage. The cable registered 2M
Ohm between conductors open circuit and this was enough to blow fuses
inexplicably. I guess it was breaking down if there was a mains
transient with a high enough voltage. So, I wouldn't reuse cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:10:04 PM UTC, R D S wrote:

I'm wiring up some sockets in a shop, I have a pile of cable from the
previous sockets that i've removed.

What's the consensus on reusing the cable?

If you've got a megger & it passes, no problem. Of course that doesnt guarantee no problems in future, nothing does. Running old cable through the dishwasher removes dirt that can cause insulation fails.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Is this for real or are you ****ed?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 6:03:42 PM UTC, adam @blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
wrote in message
On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:10:04 PM UTC, R D S wrote:

What's the consensus on reusing the cable?

If you've got a megger & it passes, no problem. Of course that doesnt
guarantee no problems in future, nothing does.

Running old cable through the dishwasher removes dirt that can cause
insulation fails.

Is this for real or are you ****ed?

I run lots of electrical stuff thru a dishwasher. Water washing is standard practice in the electronics industry now.

Note to any lurking wallies that might be out the not everything is suitable, closed containers must be opened afterwards, and enough time given for ever trace of water in every crevice to disappear.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
wrote in message
On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:10:04 PM UTC, R D S wrote:

What's the consensus on reusing the cable?

If you've got a megger & it passes, no problem. Of course that
doesnt guarantee no problems in future, nothing does.

Running old cable through the dishwasher removes dirt that can
cause insulation fails.

Is this for real or are you ****ed?

I run lots of electrical stuff thru a dishwasher. Water washing is
standard practice in the electronics industry now.

True, nut not my primary concern in this case...

Cables are supposed to be sealed - nothing you put on the outside of the
outer insulation should reduce the insulation resistance measured
between the enclosed conductors. If it does, then it suggests that the
outer sheath is physically damaged somewhere.

Note to any lurking wallies that might be out the not everything
is suitable, closed containers must be opened afterwards, and enough
time given for ever trace of water in every crevice to disappear.

You also need to take care with the detergent used - some dishwasher
detergents are pretty aggressive chemically, and some are also abrasive.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
wrote in message
On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 10:10:04 PM UTC, R D S wrote:

What's the consensus on reusing the cable?

If you've got a megger & it passes, no problem. Of course that
doesnt guarantee no problems in future, nothing does.

Running old cable through the dishwasher removes dirt that can
cause insulation fails.

Is this for real or are you ****ed?

I run lots of electrical stuff thru a dishwasher. Water washing is
standard practice in the electronics industry now.

True, nut not my primary concern in this case...
Cables are supposed to be sealed - nothing you put on the outside of the
outer insulation should reduce the insulation resistance measured
between the enclosed conductors. If it does, then it suggests that the
outer sheath is physically damaged somewhere.

Cable insulation can fail because:
a) surface dirt running between conductors at a cut end
b) puncture that can let in water
c) pvc deterioration

a) is usually solved by dishwashing
b) is revealed by dishwashing, it will cause it to fail testing
c) is rare, dishwashing makes no difference.

Clean cable is far nicer to work with & looks decent.

Note to any lurking wallies that might be out the not everything
is suitable, closed containers must be opened afterwards, and enough
time given for ever trace of water in every crevice to disappear.

You also need to take care with the detergent used - some dishwasher
detergents are pretty aggressive chemically, and some are also abrasive.

I use any & every brand, and have never had plastic damage from any.

NT