Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leaking WC connector

Just replaced a leaking WC connector using one of these things:
http://tinyurl.com/k22vpxs(or
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...it+WC+Connecto
r+40mm+Offset+110mm/d20/sd2887/p11394)

However, there still seems to be a slight drip getting bast the rubber fins
ie at the 'male' end of the connector. I followed the instructions which
said to use water rather than grease to aid assembly (against my better
judgement, TBH); would people agree with that?

When I dismantle it tomorrow, would I be better off smearing everything
with silicone grease, as I would for push-fit waste pipes?

Thanks

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 25/01/2014 12:33, Lobster wrote:
Just replaced a leaking WC connector using one of these things:
http://tinyurl.com/k22vpxs(or
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...it+WC+Connecto
r+40mm+Offset+110mm/d20/sd2887/p11394)

However, there still seems to be a slight drip getting bast the rubber
fins
ie at the 'male' end of the connector. I followed the instructions
which
said to use water rather than grease to aid assembly (against my better
judgement, TBH); would people agree with that?

When I dismantle it tomorrow, would I be better off smearing everything
with silicone grease, as I would for push-fit waste pipes?

Washing up liquid?

There is proably some roughness on the inside of the pipe.
Needs smoothing with fine glasspaper.
Or sometimes there are axial scoremarks on pipe inside.
If so I have used silicon in the past.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB writes:
On 25/01/2014 12:33, Lobster wrote:
Just replaced a leaking WC connector using one of these things:
http://tinyurl.com/k22vpxs(or
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...it+WC+Connecto
r+40mm+Offset+110mm/d20/sd2887/p11394)

However, there still seems to be a slight drip getting bast the rubber fins
ie at the 'male' end of the connector. I followed the instructions which
said to use water rather than grease to aid assembly (against my better
judgement, TBH); would people agree with that?

When I dismantle it tomorrow, would I be better off smearing everything
with silicone grease, as I would for push-fit waste pipes?

Washing up liquid?

+1, or wet soap.

You want something that washes away so the joint isn't slippery
forever. Grease (or silicone libricant) will stay and make the
joint move around, which after a while can cause a leak. Grease
will rot some types of rubber too.

Use silcone where you want a joint to remain movable; guttering,
and other PVC pipe where you want the joint to slide with expansion.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 222...
Just replaced a leaking WC connector using one of these things:
http://tinyurl.com/k22vpxs(or
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...it+WC+Connecto
r+40mm+Offset+110mm/d20/sd2887/p11394)

However, there still seems to be a slight drip getting bast the rubber
fins
ie at the 'male' end of the connector. I followed the instructions which
said to use water rather than grease to aid assembly (against my better
judgement, TBH); would people agree with that?

When I dismantle it tomorrow, would I be better off smearing everything
with silicone grease, as I would for push-fit waste pipes?

Another possibility is that the pipe is sloping towards the pan and a
puddle of water is accumulating behind the fins on the connector instead of
draining away.

CH drain tap leaking, radiator valve leaking, valve not working (?) Clive UK diy 2 October 15th 08 05:13 AM
Connector for MC? Ted[_9_] Home Repair 4 June 11th 08 04:34 AM
Leaking basin connector Kev UK diy 5 September 13th 07 04:03 PM
I'm puzzled about my leaking roof. It's not leaking like a leak should leak. Daniel Cullpeppper Home Repair 10 April 30th 06 04:16 AM
BSP Connector Help [email protected] UK diy 3 June 16th 05 12:16 PM