Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Compression fittings - WTF?

Putting in the new waste for the washing machine, I bought from Screwfix:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-ma...rap-40mm/18640
and some other fittings
http://www.screwfix.com/p/universal-...end-40mm/30640
http://www.screwfix.com/p/universal-...end-40mm/35203

all by Floplast
Went to B&Q for the pipe, polyprop for compression, as I didn't fancy trying
to get 3m on the bus.
The fitting on the waste is tight on the pipe; the 90deg. bend is firm but
the 45deg. one is a bit 'soft'. It's only to turn the flow down from about
30deg. from horizontal, so no pressure on it, but I wouldn't want to trust
it v. much elsewhere.

Did I get the wrong fitting or is the system just crap?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
Putting in the new waste for the washing machine, I bought from Screwfix:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-ma...rap-40mm/18640
and some other fittings
http://www.screwfix.com/p/universal-...end-40mm/30640
http://www.screwfix.com/p/universal-...end-40mm/35203

all by Floplast
Went to B&Q for the pipe, polyprop for compression, as I didn't fancy
trying
to get 3m on the bus.
The fitting on the waste is tight on the pipe; the 90deg. bend is firm but
the 45deg. one is a bit 'soft'. It's only to turn the flow down from about
30deg. from horizontal, so no pressure on it, but I wouldn't want to trust
it v. much elsewhere.

Did I get the wrong fitting or is the system just crap?

Compression fittings for waste pipe are pretty much universal and foolproof.
Did you dismantle each joint and make sure the rubber ring was on the pipe
correctly and the right way round?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2014 15:28, PeterC wrote:
Putting in the new waste for the washing machine, I bought from Screwfix:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-ma...rap-40mm/18640
and some other fittings
http://www.screwfix.com/p/universal-...end-40mm/30640
http://www.screwfix.com/p/universal-...end-40mm/35203

all by Floplast
Went to B&Q for the pipe, polyprop for compression, as I didn't fancy trying
to get 3m on the bus.
The fitting on the waste is tight on the pipe; the 90deg. bend is firm but
the 45deg. one is a bit 'soft'. It's only to turn the flow down from about
30deg. from horizontal, so no pressure on it, but I wouldn't want to trust
it v. much elsewhere.

Did I get the wrong fitting or is the system just crap?

Did you tighten them up the same amount?
Are the rubber rings in the correct place?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2014 15:28, PeterC wrote:
Putting in the new waste for the washing machine, I bought from Screwfix:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-ma...rap-40mm/18640
and some other fittings
http://www.screwfix.com/p/universal-...end-40mm/30640
http://www.screwfix.com/p/universal-...end-40mm/35203

all by Floplast
Went to B&Q for the pipe, polyprop for compression, as I didn't fancy trying
to get 3m on the bus.
The fitting on the waste is tight on the pipe; the 90deg. bend is firm but
the 45deg. one is a bit 'soft'. It's only to turn the flow down from about
30deg. from horizontal, so no pressure on it, but I wouldn't want to trust
it v. much elsewhere.

Did I get the wrong fitting or is the system just crap?

Compression waste fittings are pretty universal - are you sure you
didn't get solvent weld pipe?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:23:23 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

There was ABS solvent weld pipe next to it; I tried that and it was no go;
tried the polyprop in a bend that I already had from SF and it was a
reasonable fit, but not as snug as in the fittings on the trap.
As for the washer and seal: I just unscrewed the ring and slid it on the
pipe (having checked that it was correct) and for the second joint on the
45deg. bend I didn't even dismantle it but just looked to check that the
seal and washer were correctly inserted.
The joints aren't too bad - it was just the difference that got me.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PeterC
writes
[...]

I prefer the McAlpine Multifit compression fittings over the others I've
tried. They seem to take a slightly wider range of pipe sizes (surely a
universal compression should take solvent weld pipe isn't that's what
the universal bit is about) including the copper waste pipe I have. And
the internal pipe sleeve does seem to make for a good snug joint.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 22:42:46 +0000, chris French wrote:

I prefer the McAlpine Multifit compression fittings over the others I've
tried. They seem to take a slightly wider range of pipe sizes (surely a
universal compression should take solvent weld pipe isn't that's what
the universal bit is about) including the copper waste pipe I have. And
the internal pipe sleeve does seem to make for a good snug joint.

Yes, would seem to be better but I had to do this in a hurry and bought what
I could.
As it turned (chiselled) out, the old fittings were push-fit - I suppose
that I could have got those instead.
Not too important as the 'softer' joints are all outside.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 3:28:26 PM UTC, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Do the pipe and fittings have sizes imprinted in them? Bores are the same across manufacturers but some use different wall thicknesses. I think there are also different sizes of Floplast (40mm, 43mm).

Cheers
Richard

If you are reading this from Google Groups, please be aware this is not a forum, and you are using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block posters coming from web portals, but they haven’t come to terms with the obsolescence of the phonograph.