Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nuclear power: hard to believe

After decades of having an industry crippled by multiple suppliers and
reactor designs, we are heading for three different suppliers and three
different designs (although at least they are ones which are being built
somewhere else too)

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...e=bf8ac 08dec
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/14 22:18, newshound wrote:
After decades of having an industry crippled by multiple suppliers and
reactor designs, we are heading for three different suppliers and three
different designs (although at least they are ones which are being built
somewhere else too)

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...e=bf8ac 08dec

Yess. Excluding Russia and China there are what - 4 reactor designs out
there being punted for 'new builds'

AP1000 (toshiba)
EPWR (EDF/Areva)
ABWR (Hitachi)
CANDUs latest (CANDU)

Even the ABWR aint bad, in the same ways a porsche aint bad, though it
still is a beetle in drag, its been developed to work a bit better..:-)

Personally I like CANDU, which is the one not on the table after CANDU
walked away citing 'regulatory uncertainty'

What is a shame is that the UKS AGRS - massively overpriced then - are
probably almost competitive today and have always been incredibly safe.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

nuclear power Bill Wright[_2_] UK diy 7 November 4th 13 02:34 PM
Nuclear Power DerbyBorn[_4_] UK diy 14 October 25th 13 05:56 PM
Cost of nuclear power harryagain[_2_] UK diy 29 September 19th 13 06:00 AM
OT Nuclear power harry UK diy 72 June 5th 13 06:10 PM
the UK IS doing something with nuclear power.. The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 4 January 9th 13 04:31 PM