Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damned foxes

Yesterday I planted some Box Hedging in a new area of my front garden. Dug
holes - dusted the hole with bonemeal as instructed and then a decent
compost into the hole.

This morning they had all been dug out by a fox - presumably attracted by
the bonemeal.

Any suggestions - I need to plant some more as well.Was thinking large
pebbles over the hole area.

--

DerbyBorn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2014 10:14, DerbyBorn wrote:
Yesterday I planted some Box Hedging in a new area of my front garden. Dug
holes - dusted the hole with bonemeal as instructed and then a decent
compost into the hole.

This morning they had all been dug out by a fox - presumably attracted by
the bonemeal.

Any suggestions - I need to plant some more as well.Was thinking large
pebbles over the hole area.

You could try Fox Repel which is organic and pet friendly.

http://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-41245.h...Ohw godCHMAUQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...

Yesterday I planted some Box Hedging in a new area of my front garden. Dug
holes - dusted the hole with bonemeal as instructed and then a decent
compost into the hole.

This morning they had all been dug out by a fox - presumably attracted by
the bonemeal.

Any suggestions - I need to plant some more as well.Was thinking large
pebbles over the hole area.

You have my sympathy - they are vermin. We've had 25 chickens all killed in
one night when the fox got into the chicken house, and had a goose pulled
though a hole (made by the fox) in the goose shed and it's head pulled off.
They are living creatures and need treating without cruelty BUT there are
too many of them, certainly around here. I'm dreading the lambing season as
there is nothing more distressing than a gored dead lamb being nuzzled by
the ewe.

Mind you badgers are as bad. We've had several chicken have their feet
pulled off by badgers getting under a slatted floor chicken shed. Neighbours
have had concrete set chain link fencing torn up by badgers getting at their
chicken run. At least foxes don't have the power to do that even if they can
pull weather boarding off chicken houses !

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, they are after all only doing what comes naturally.
When I saw the original post I was going to suggest a trip wire connected to
a loaded shotgun, but that might have elf and safety issues.

Now I like to see wildlife as much as anyone, well hear it these days, but
one has to think of ones own needs as well, and you can hardly sit down and
negotiate rules with foxes and Badgers.
Brian

Email:

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/14 11:44, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...

[...]

cost me £250 to get a cat patched up after what looks like being ripped
by a fox. pus filled abscess the size of a small saucer all over one
side... he is now allowed out of quarantine for the firsts time in 3 weeks.

My guess he had killed a bunny and the fox stole it.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Yesterday I planted some Box Hedging in a new area of my front garden. Dug
holes - dusted the hole with bonemeal as instructed and then a decent
compost into the hole.

This morning they had all been dug out by a fox - presumably attracted by
the bonemeal.

Any suggestions - I need to plant some more as well.Was thinking large
pebbles over the hole area.

Try spreading chilli powder around the plants.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 13:09:59 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Its the smell though, I dont see how pebbles would sort that out. You
need some kind of stuffwhich is not a magnet for them.
Brian

It's simple enough to rig up an electric fence and they're non-lethal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:la97fq$s8c$1@dont-
email.me:

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 13:09:59 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Its the smell though, I dont see how pebbles would sort that out. You
need some kind of stuffwhich is not a magnet for them.
Brian

It's simple enough to rig up an electric fence and they're non-lethal.

The pebbles were an idea to add weight to make it harder for the fox to
dig.
I have bought some repellant for tonight.

--

DerbyBorn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 15:17:20 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

The pebbles were an idea to add weight to make it harder for the fox to
dig.
I have bought some repellant for tonight.

No, no, no. Electric fence is what you want. I could rig one up in about
2hrs and nothing would get past it. BTW, badgers are a particular pain in
the arse. I really hate them. *******s.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote in
2.222:

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:la97fq$s8c$1@dont-
email.me:

On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 13:09:59 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Its the smell though, I dont see how pebbles would sort that out. You
need some kind of stuffwhich is not a magnet for them.
Brian

It's simple enough to rig up an electric fence and they're non-lethal.

The pebbles were an idea to add weight to make it harder for the fox to
dig.
I have bought some repellant for tonight.

It worked!

--

DerbyBorn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

Yesterday I planted some Box Hedging in a new area of my front garden. Dug
holes - dusted the hole with bonemeal as instructed and then a decent
compost into the hole.

This morning they had all been dug out by a fox - presumably attracted by
the bonemeal.

Any suggestions - I need to plant some more as well.Was thinking large
pebbles over the hole area.

Lion poo is said to be a good deterrent for foxes. You can buy it
online, or possibly at some garden centres.

--
Terry Fields

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Yesterday I planted some Box Hedging in a new area of my front
garden. Dug holes - dusted the hole with bonemeal as instructed and
then a decent compost into the hole.

This morning they had all been dug out by a fox - presumably
attracted by the bonemeal.

Any suggestions - I need to plant some more as well.Was thinking large
pebbles over the hole area.

pebbles won't keep anything away, they will simply brush them aside and dig
for the bonemeal again.

Re-plant them but use osmocote or another long acting fertilizer so that
they get a good rootball for spring.

If you insist on using the bonemeal, put chicken wire around each plant,
about an inch or two deep

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2014 10:14, DerbyBorn wrote:
Yesterday I planted some Box Hedging in a new area of my front garden. Dug
holes - dusted the hole with bonemeal as instructed and then a decent
compost into the hole.

This morning they had all been dug out by a fox - presumably attracted by
the bonemeal.

Any suggestions - I need to plant some more as well.Was thinking large
pebbles over the hole area.

Lead shot!

--
Peter Crosland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Yesterday I planted some Box Hedging in a new area of my front garden. Dug
holes - dusted the hole with bonemeal as instructed and then a decent
compost into the hole.

This morning they had all been dug out by a fox - presumably attracted by
the bonemeal.

Any suggestions - I need to plant some more as well.Was thinking large
pebbles over the hole area.

Never mind, coming to a supermarket near you soon (well a Chinese restaurant
anyway)

tim

Foxes and pet Rabbits John UK diy 28 August 27th 10 03:19 PM
OT - Foxes & Milk John UK diy 8 December 30th 09 12:26 PM
Foxes under shed John UK diy 20 April 18th 08 06:02 PM
Detering Foxes Andrew Mawson UK diy 23 October 25th 05 11:52 AM
deterring foxes [news] UK diy 93 March 25th 05 09:30 PM