Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Foxes under shed

I found today that I have some foxes living under my shed (I saw a pup). I
don't have a real concern unless anyone can advise me on whether they are
likely to gnaw away the floor of my shed - in which case I will try and move
them on.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I found today that I have some foxes living under my shed (I saw a pup). I
don't have a real concern unless anyone can advise me on whether they are
likely to gnaw away the floor of my shed - in which case I will try and
move them on.

Get a low powered light set up and enjoy watching them play at night. They
will not eat your shed. Beautiful animals.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"John" wrote in message
I found today that I have some foxes living under my shed (I saw a
pup). I don't have a real concern unless anyone can advise me on
whether they are likely to gnaw away the floor of my shed - in which
case I will try and move them on.

Webcam time. 8-)

Yes you should feel privileged to have them in such close proximity.
This is nature at its best
Enjoy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "John"
saying something like:

I found today that I have some foxes living under my shed (I saw a pup). I
don't have a real concern unless anyone can advise me on whether they are
likely to gnaw away the floor of my shed - in which case I will try and move
them on.

Meat laced with rat poison.
--

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I found today that I have some foxes living under my shed (I saw a pup). I
don't have a real concern unless anyone can advise me on whether they are
likely to gnaw away the floor of my shed - in which case I will try and
move them on.

Not likely. The shed might start to stink a bit though - Foxes smell pretty
bad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I found today that I have some foxes living under my shed (I saw a
pup). I don't have a real concern unless anyone can advise me on
whether they are likely to gnaw away the floor of my shed - in which
case I will try and move them on.

Last year I re felted a pent roof shed for a lady locally.

Her garden went up steeply in terraced levels, so the shed roof was only
about a foot above ground level on the terrace above.

A family of urban foxes inhabited her garden & in 18 months they had ripped
the felt off the roof almost completely. I guess they sharpened their claws
on it?

I covered the new felt in chicken wire held down by battens & it seems to
have stopped it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:35:03 GMT, "John"
wrote:

I found today that I have some foxes living under my shed (I saw a pup). I
don't have a real concern unless anyone can advise me on whether they are
likely to gnaw away the floor of my shed - in which case I will try and move
them on.

Your shed floor will be fine - in fact the presence of foxes will
deter rats...and rats will eat almost anything ( including sheds ).

The only note of caution might be that foxes under sheds tend to
attract Bill Oddies...but these can usually be beaten off with a copy
of the Radio Times soaked in vinegar.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Doki" writes:

"John" wrote in message
I found today that I have some foxes living under my shed (I saw a pup). I
don't have a real concern unless anyone can advise me on whether they are
likely to gnaw away the floor of my shed - in which case I will try and
move them on.

Not likely. The shed might start to stink a bit though - Foxes smell pretty
bad.

I had a family living in my garden about 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen them since, although I
do see the odd fox passing through at night. You can
follow the fox going though all the gardens, even
though you can't see it -- one by one, the neighbours'
PIR lamps come on. I do get the occasional pile of fox
poo and that has a strong smell. That never happened
when the family were living there though.

I saw a deer sleeping in my garden once, on the pile
of grass clippings. I setup a camera to spot it again,
but it never came back.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is that the whole team or just a couple of strays?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_City_F.C.

;-)

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Meat laced with rat poison.

And for the foxes...?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:44:32 GMT, "ARWadworth"

wrote:

"John" wrote in message
I found today that I have some foxes living under my shed (I saw a pup).
don't have a real concern unless anyone can advise me on whether they are
likely to gnaw away the floor of my shed - in which case I will try and
move them on.

Get a low powered light set up and enjoy watching them play at night. They
will not eat your shed. Beautiful animals.

Adam

They like milk, dog food (canned or biscuit. they'r not proud.)
Pizzas go down well (Goodfellows.)

Enjoy their stay.

Jim.

I found out that hedgehogs were eating the canned dog food and drank all the
milk when I tried to feed the foxes in my garden. I stopped up all night to
watch that.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:36:59 +0000, ARWadworth wrote:

I found out that hedgehogs were eating the canned dog food and drank all
the milk when I tried to feed the foxes in my garden. I stopped up all
night to watch that.

Dog food is good for hedgehogs. Milk isn't.

Apparently their digestive system is set up so when they want a crap they
just 'tag' the end onto the floor and walk away from it.

Milk changes the consistency so it doesn't 'pull through' properly.

DAMHIKTIJDOK?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PCPaul wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:36:59 +0000, ARWadworth wrote:

I found out that hedgehogs were eating the canned dog food and drank
all the milk when I tried to feed the foxes in my garden. I stopped
up all night to watch that.

Dog food is good for hedgehogs. Milk isn't.

Apparently their digestive system is set up so when they want a crap
they just 'tag' the end onto the floor and walk away from it.

Milk changes the consistency so it doesn't 'pull through' properly.

DAMHIKTIJDOK?

The variety of knowledge on this group never fails to amaze me.....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

PCPaul wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:36:59 +0000, ARWadworth wrote:

I found out that hedgehogs were eating the canned dog food and drank
all the milk when I tried to feed the foxes in my garden. I stopped
up all night to watch that.

Dog food is good for hedgehogs. Milk isn't.

Apparently their digestive system is set up so when they want a crap
they just 'tag' the end onto the floor and walk away from it.

Milk changes the consistency so it doesn't 'pull through' properly.

DAMHIKTIJDOK?

The variety of knowledge on this group never fails to amaze me.....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Amazing - could this be why some seem to be leaving their offering on stop
tap lids and manhole covers? Perhaps it attaches more readily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PCPaul" wrote in message

DAMHIKTIJDOK?

OK I'll ask, what is that an acronym for, I can't work it out!

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
writes

"PCPaul" wrote in message
m...

DAMHIKTIJDOK?

OK I'll ask, what is that an acronym for, I can't work it out!

I would guess at...
dontaskmehowiknowthatijustdoOK
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PCPaul wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:36:59 +0000, ARWadworth wrote:

I found out that hedgehogs were eating the canned dog food and drank
all the milk when I tried to feed the foxes in my garden. I stopped
up all night to watch that.

Dog food is good for hedgehogs. Milk isn't.

Apparently their digestive system is set up so when they want a crap
they just 'tag' the end onto the floor and walk away from it.

Milk changes the consistency so it doesn't 'pull through' properly.

DAMHIKTIJDOK?

The variety of knowledge on this group never fails to amaze me.....

Amazing - could this be why some seem to be leaving their offering on
stop tap lids and manhole covers? Perhaps it attaches more readily.

It's one of those things you never forget once you know about it...

As for the manhole covers... magnetic?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PCPaul wrote:

It's one of those things you never forget once you know about it...

How come our local ones do it on the lawn? No tagging there...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

I found today that I have some foxes living under my shed (I saw a
pup). I don't have a real concern unless anyone can advise me on
whether they are likely to gnaw away the floor of my shed - in which
case I will try and move them on.

Unlikely to do any damage to the shed. The only problem we have with our
foxes is that they get themsleves locked in the garage sometimes, then
trash it during the night when trying to get out. One of last years cubs
got locked in an made itself a nice bed under the workbench. Couldn't get
it out - It just kept hding from us. We managed to trap it in a big
cardboard box and forcefully evict it in the end.

Our foxes are very tame. The resident female comes and taps on the patio
door when she's hungry, then sits patiently on the patio watching us until
we take her food out. If the door is open during the Summer she'll poke her
head in to attract our attention.

Great fun to watch (especially the cubs when they first appear), but the
manky smell and the **** is rather less fun ;-)

Favourite food for ours is cheese sandwiches, cut into little cubes, but
they'll eat anything. I'd avoid dogfood as it makes them crap more (and
usually all over the patio). Dry food leave the garden a bit cleaner :-)

Oh, and your neighbours will hate you - Especially if the foxes use their
immaculate lawn as a toilet. Bonus!

Al.

Bloody foxes Weatherlawyer UK diy 25 September 9th 06 09:50 PM
Felt Eating Foxes. The Medway Handyman UK diy 57 June 12th 06 11:05 AM
Detering Foxes Andrew Mawson UK diy 23 October 25th 05 11:52 AM
deterring foxes [news] UK diy 93 March 25th 05 09:30 PM
Shed Again Steve UK diy 1 July 10th 03 07:21 AM