Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT-ish: blocking sales calls on Virgin Landline

In article , Huge
scribeth thus

On 2013-12-09, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

What's the definitive answer?

Put her in a home.

My friend had exactly the same problem as the OP and they tried this
solution

She wouldn't stay there because every day she would wake up and think, "This
isn't my house, why am I here" and then go wandering the streets trying to
get "home"

Care homes with demented residents shouldn't have open doors.

Homes really can't cope with people who are this bad and the ones that can
are really oppressive (in as nice a way as possible)!

My M-I-L is in a care home who cope perfectly well with a number of
severely demented residents, and other than the fact that the external
doors have digital locks, it's hardly "oppressive".

I read the other day that a blood pressure pill, Amlodpine is reckoned
to be of use in preventing dementia!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:33:13 +0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 10/12/2013 22:16, mike wrote:

The authorities just get the operator to do something, they don't
want

to use the intercept facilities for anything so minor.

3.2 billion nuisance calls isn't minor but do carry on being obtuse,
Dennis.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...very-year.html

Nuisance calls aren't even illegal so what do you suggest they do?

Anonymous Call Reject to be provided free and by default by all providers (and
make sure they don't charge for it by raising line rental)

Block all malformed or misleading caller ID strings before they enter the UK
network

Remove all rights for any EU based companies to call customers except where they
give their explicit written or online consent every 12 months (post paid
envelopes so zero cost to customer) fail to renew that consent and the company
is fined a few thousand quid for every single call they make. Bankrupt the
*******s if they don't understand.

Legislate that a simple key sequence for instance *# will instantly drop any
incoming marketing or nuisance call, and then immediately place that caller on a
blocked list for that line.

So there are lots of things to do to combat nuisance calls. It just need
someone in government with a backbone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/12/2013 22:16, mike wrote:

The authorities just get the operator to do something, they don't
want

to use the intercept facilities for anything so minor.

3.2 billion nuisance calls isn't minor but do carry on being obtuse,
Dennis.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...very-year.html

Nuisance calls aren't even illegal so what do you suggest they do?

Anonymous Call Reject to be provided free and by default by all providers
(and
make sure they don't charge for it by raising line rental)

No good for people whose work commits them to answer anonymous calls (not on
principle, just because some of your callers are wallies)

Block all malformed or misleading caller ID strings before they enter the
UK
network

So that means they will have to be regarded as anonymous and people with ACR
"on" won't be able to receive legitimate calls from countries whose
international interface is broken (again, because they are wallies)

Remove all rights for any EU based companies to call customers except
where they
give their explicit written or online consent every 12 months (post paid
envelopes so zero cost to customer)

I think that's a bit OTT, given that we can't even reliable enforce the
current prohibited calls.

fail to renew that consent and the company
is fined a few thousand quid for every single call they make. Bankrupt
the
*******s if they don't understand.

would never get passed

Legislate that a simple key sequence for instance *# will instantly drop
any
incoming marketing or nuisance call, and then immediately place that
caller on a
blocked list for that line.

only any use if they have presented a number (see point 1)

So there are lots of things to do to combat nuisance calls. It just need
someone in government with a backbone.

No, it needs everyone who is ringing you for a legitimate reason to present
a number, and as 20 years of coercion hasn't worked, I don't see what will

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim......
writes

Remove all rights for any EU based companies to call customers except
where they
give their explicit written or online consent every 12 months (post paid
envelopes so zero cost to customer)

I think that's a bit OTT, given that we can't even reliable enforce the
current prohibited calls.

fail to renew that consent and the company
is fined a few thousand quid for every single call they make.
Bankrupt the
*******s if they don't understand.

would never get passed

There is hope, but in a land far away.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/kxky89q

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...acific/austral
ia/10516241/Door-to-door-salesman-charged-for-ignoring-Do-Not-Knock-sign.
html

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

OT ish - Virgin/Sky landline/e mail? The Medway Handyman[_2_] UK diy 19 September 19th 10 12:05 AM
Verizon Charging for Local (Landline)Calls harry Home Repair 11 June 24th 10 02:44 AM
Totally OT but how to ger rid of unwanted sales calls;) tony sayer UK diy 0 October 22nd 06 12:51 PM
OT sms Landline phones Davao UK diy 7 February 8th 06 12:48 PM
Update from mobile phone virgin on Virgin Mobile Mike Mitchell UK diy 37 April 3rd 04 04:13 PM