Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dried Blood on Carpet

Mr Medway or anyone else, do you have any advice on removing blood marks
from off-white wool-blend carpet?

Although quite some attempt was made to clean them up at the time,
various circumstances have resulted in them still being visible some 3/4
weeks later.

(No criminal aspect to this! Illness, unfortunately.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/12/2013 17:22, polygonum wrote:
Mr Medway or anyone else, do you have any advice on removing blood marks
from off-white wool-blend carpet?

Do people call Mr M in for carpet cleaning? A man of even more talents
than I realised.

Although quite some attempt was made to clean them up at the time,
various circumstances have resulted in them still being visible some 3/4
weeks later.

It may help if you say what you attempted. You didn't use hot water, I
hope?

Googling "clean blood out of carpet" produces *many* results.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum writes:
Mr Medway or anyone else, do you have any advice on removing blood marks
from off-white wool-blend carpet?

Although quite some attempt was made to clean them up at the time,
various circumstances have resulted in them still being visible some 3/4
weeks later.

(No criminal aspect to this! Illness, unfortunately.)

Unfortunately, the longer left, the harder to remove.
If it's still red, I would try dampening with plain soap (not coloured)
and water, leave for a while (but keep damp), and then try blotting off.
If it's brown, then the iron in the blood is now rust, and that's harder
to remove. Things like phosphoric acid will react with it, but the
resulting products may be no easier to remove from a white carpet.
Clear vinegar (acetic acid) may dissolve it, although you might get a
resulting green iron compound which may or may not easily blot up.

Whatever you try, testing it on a hidden area is probably a good thing,
in case it reacts with anything else in the carpet.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 6:34:44 PM UTC, GB wrote:
On 07/12/2013 17:22, polygonum wrote:
Mr Medway or anyone else, do you have any advice on removing blood marks
from off-white wool-blend carpet?

Do people call Mr M in for carpet cleaning? A man of even more talents
than I realised.

He just waves his magic wand and the stains disappear!

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-12-07, polygonum wrote:

Mr Medway or anyone else, do you have any advice on removing blood marks
from off-white wool-blend carpet?

Although quite some attempt was made to clean them up at the time,
various circumstances have resulted in them still being visible some 3/4
weeks later.

(No criminal aspect to this! Illness, unfortunately.)

Hydrogen peroxide (probably still available from your local
chemist's). As with any cleaning tactic, it's worth testing a little
of it on a hidden area first in case your carpet disagrees with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 18:34, GB wrote:
On 07/12/2013 17:22, polygonum wrote:
Mr Medway or anyone else, do you have any advice on removing blood marks
from off-white wool-blend carpet?

Do people call Mr M in for carpet cleaning? A man of even more talents
than I realised.

Although quite some attempt was made to clean them up at the time,
various circumstances have resulted in them still being visible some 3/4
weeks later.

It may help if you say what you attempted. You didn't use hot water, I
hope?

Googling "clean blood out of carpet" produces *many* results.

I have not tried anything - the people there at the time did something
but I don't know what. And cannot find out for some time.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-12-07, polygonum wrote:

Mr Medway or anyone else, do you have any advice on removing blood marks
from off-white wool-blend carpet?

Although quite some attempt was made to clean them up at the time,
various circumstances have resulted in them still being visible some 3/4
weeks later.

(No criminal aspect to this! Illness, unfortunately.)

Hydrogen peroxide (probably still available from your local
chemist's). As with any cleaning tactic, it's worth testing a little
of it on a hidden area first in case your carpet disagrees with it.

Oxalic acid is quite useful for iron based stains in wood. effective but
not too aggressive. Might work in this instance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-12-07, polygonum wrote:

Mr Medway or anyone else, do you have any advice on removing blood marks
from off-white wool-blend carpet?

Although quite some attempt was made to clean them up at the time,
various circumstances have resulted in them still being visible some 3/4
weeks later.

(No criminal aspect to this! Illness, unfortunately.)

Hydrogen peroxide (probably still available from your local
chemist's). As with any cleaning tactic, it's worth testing a little
of it on a hidden area first in case your carpet disagrees with it.

Oxalic acid is quite useful for iron based stains in wood. effective but
not too aggressive. Might work in this instance.

Thanks Bob and Adam.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-12-07, polygonum wrote:

Mr Medway or anyone else, do you have any advice on removing blood marks
from off-white wool-blend carpet?

Although quite some attempt was made to clean them up at the time,
various circumstances have resulted in them still being visible some 3/4
weeks later.

(No criminal aspect to this! Illness, unfortunately.)

Hydrogen peroxide (probably still available from your local
chemist's). As with any cleaning tactic, it's worth testing a little
of it on a hidden area first in case your carpet disagrees with it.

Oxalic acid is quite useful for iron based stains in wood. effective but
not too aggressive. Might work in this instance.

TMH usually recommends Prochem products, this is what I could find that
might fit the bill:

http://www.prochem-uk.com/product.php?xProd=93&xSec=19

--
Dawood
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 6:34:44 PM UTC, GB wrote:
On 07/12/2013 17:22, polygonum wrote:
Mr Medway or anyone else, do you have any advice on removing blood
marks
from off-white wool-blend carpet?

Do people call Mr M in for carpet cleaning? A man of even more talents
than I realised.

He just waves his magic wand and the stains disappear!

Perhaps, but shortly afterwards there is the appeal for tips on how to
remove semen stains...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:
On 2013-12-07, polygonum wrote:

[...]

I do indeed. I'd suggest;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prochem-Prof...in+devil+blood

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2013 18:34, GB wrote:
On 07/12/2013 17:22, polygonum wrote:
Mr Medway or anyone else, do you have any advice on removing blood marks
from off-white wool-blend carpet?

Do people call Mr M in for carpet cleaning? A man of even more talents
than I realised.

I don't offer it as a service, I pass it on to Desmond who has the
machinery.

I did spend years in the game, hence this;

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Cleaning_FA Q

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2013 04:18, Richard wrote:
wrote in message

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 6:34:44 PM UTC, GB wrote:
On 07/12/2013 17:22, polygonum wrote:
Mr Medway or anyone else, do you have any advice on removing blood
marks
from off-white wool-blend carpet?
Do people call Mr M in for carpet cleaning? A man of even more talents
than I realised.

He just waves his magic wand and the stains disappear!

Perhaps, but shortly afterwards there is the appeal for tips on how to
remove semen stains...

Well Kipper me capstans!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

I do indeed. I'd suggest;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prochem-Prof...in+devil+blood

"Remove Blood, Vomit, ...."
I'm afraid that I was too revolted to read any further.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:
On 2013-12-07, polygonum wrote:

[...]

Thank you - duly ordered. :-)

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2013 10:28, GB wrote:

I do indeed. I'd suggest;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prochem-Prof...in+devil+blood

"Remove Blood, Vomit, ...."
I'm afraid that I was too revolted to read any further.

Can't say I am looking forward to the process...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2013 04:18, Richard wrote:

Perhaps, but shortly afterwards there is the appeal for tips on how to
remove semen stains...

wasn't he on Captain Pugwash
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/12/2013 17:53, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 08/12/2013 04:18, Richard wrote:

Perhaps, but shortly afterwards there is the appeal for tips on how to
remove semen stains...

wasn't he on Captain Pugwash

Along with Roger the cabin boy?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-12-07, polygonum wrote:

Mr Medway or anyone else, do you have any advice on removing blood marks
from off-white wool-blend carpet?

Although quite some attempt was made to clean them up at the time,
various circumstances have resulted in them still being visible some 3/4
weeks later.

(No criminal aspect to this! Illness, unfortunately.)

Hydrogen peroxide (probably still available from your local
chemist's). As with any cleaning tactic, it's worth testing a little
of it on a hidden area first in case your carpet disagrees with it.

I have a feeling that blood will destroy peroxide faster that you can
apply it and if it doesn't the oxidation reaction will turn the iron
into insoluble ferric form fixing the stain as rust.

Best best is a proprietory blood/protein stain remover which tend to be
enzyme based with a reducing agent in. Proefssional cleaners might be
able to do better with more aggressive reagents.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 16:26:37 +0000, polygonum wrote:

"Remove Blood, Vomit, ...."
I'm afraid that I was too revolted to read any further.

Whimp, no kids?

Can't say I am looking forward to the process...

Just don't google on the diseases you can catch from someone elses
blood. Wear gloves.

Lets just say SWMBO'd would literally have to be at deaths door for
lack of blood before she accepted *any* blood product. Lack of volume
pump in more saline, lack of red cells, she'll put up with being
anaemic for a few weeks and adjust her diet to include more iron and
things to help iron absorption. Low white cells, just hope she
doesn't catch anything serious.
She used to run the heamatology lab at Barts...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2013 18:10, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 16:26:37 +0000, polygonum wrote:

"Remove Blood, Vomit, ...."
I'm afraid that I was too revolted to read any further.

Whimp, no kids?

Can't say I am looking forward to the process...

Just don't google on the diseases you can catch from someone elses
blood. Wear gloves.

Lets just say SWMBO'd would literally have to be at deaths door for
lack of blood before she accepted *any* blood product. Lack of volume
pump in more saline, lack of red cells, she'll put up with being
anaemic for a few weeks and adjust her diet to include more iron and
things to help iron absorption. Low white cells, just hope she
doesn't catch anything serious.
She used to run the heamatology lab at Barts...

At least this is my mother's blood. Possibly safer that any random
stranger's red stuff. (Though that now has been 'contaminated' by some
blood donors' blood...)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-12-07, polygonum wrote:

Mr Medway or anyone else, do you have any advice on removing blood marks
from off-white wool-blend carpet?

Although quite some attempt was made to clean them up at the time,
various circumstances have resulted in them still being visible some 3/4
weeks later.

(No criminal aspect to this! Illness, unfortunately.)

Hydrogen peroxide (probably still available from your local
chemist's). As with any cleaning tactic, it's worth testing a little
of it on a hidden area first in case your carpet disagrees with it.

I have a feeling that blood will destroy peroxide faster that you can
apply it and if it doesn't the oxidation reaction will turn the iron
into insoluble ferric form fixing the stain as rust.

I've used peroxide successfully & with no trouble on small bloodstains
(from nosebleeds, for example). You might be right about big ones.

Best best is a proprietory blood/protein stain remover which tend to be
enzyme based with a reducing agent in. Proefssional cleaners might be
able to do better with more aggressive reagents.

Yes, probably.

Blood all over maple. Joe Woodworking 1 May 16th 12 03:31 AM
Blood Tim W[_3_] Woodworking 10 August 12th 11 09:45 PM
Removing dried paint on carpet? benpost UK diy 12 October 20th 08 03:25 PM
Remving Dried Elmers Glue from Carpet motherof2 Home Repair 9 March 22nd 07 03:25 PM
Joining carpet 2 carpet & carpet 2 tiles JoeJoe UK diy 1 September 1st 06 07:24 AM