Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT New idea (car door.)

So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 26/11/2013 07:14, harryagain wrote:
So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

It's a new idea to me, but the copyright notice says 2007. There's an
obvious conclusion to be drawn.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2013 07:14, harryagain wrote:
So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

Gull wing doors are much better when it is raining.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
On 26/11/2013 07:14, harryagain wrote:
So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

Gull wing doors are much better when it is raining.

Colin Bignell

But hopeless in just about every other situation.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2013 09:22, Tim+ wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 26/11/2013 07:14, harryagain wrote:
So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

Gull wing doors are much better when it is raining.

But hopeless in just about every other situation.

They look pretty though

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 07:14:06 +0000, harryagain wrote:

So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

can't be arsed
Lemme guess, this is that '90s Thunderbird with the doors that drop into
the sills?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Z1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

Saw this a while ago; it's a solution looking for a problem.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 26/11/2013 09:22, Tim+ wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 26/11/2013 07:14, harryagain wrote:
So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

Gull wing doors are much better when it is raining.

But hopeless in just about every other situation.

They look pretty though

Useless for parking next to another car or wall, etc.

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 26 November 2013 07:14 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

Bring it on!

It would stop me having a heart attack when the kids open doors in carparks,
particularly when there's a howling wind!

(This stems from an incident where I had to make a grovelling apology to
another car owner about dinging his door when a gust of wind whipped the
door out of SWMBO's hand)

Even better would be inventing the force field, then driving around with
(apparantly) no door at all!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 26 November 2013 08:12 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 26/11/2013 07:14, harryagain wrote:
So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

Gull wing doors are much better when it is raining.

Colin Bignell

Can you even open them in a car park?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 26 November 2013 09:36 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 26/11/2013 09:22, Tim+ wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 26/11/2013 07:14, harryagain wrote:
So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

Gull wing doors are much better when it is raining.

But hopeless in just about every other situation.

They look pretty though

Colin Bignell

Especially good for ****ting the copper in the chin and doing a runner after
he's pulled you for speeding!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:19:24 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Gull wing doors are much better when it is raining.

But hopeless in just about every other situation.

They look pretty though

Useless for parking next to another car or wall, etc.

Are they really that much worse than normal hinged doors?

Low roofs, otoh, definitely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 26 November 2013 10:43 Adrian wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:19:24 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Useless for parking next to another car or wall, etc.

Are they really that much worse than normal hinged doors?

Well, even I can slip my lardy arse through a partly opened normal door. I
would however not want to limbo in under an obstructed gullwing door!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 26/11/2013 09:22, Tim+ wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 26/11/2013 07:14, harryagain wrote:
So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

Gull wing doors are much better when it is raining.

But hopeless in just about every other situation.

They look pretty though

Useless for parking next to another car or wall, etc.

I remember a video of some model or other with gullwing doors
specifically showing that they /could/ be opened in quite a minimal gap,
comparable to the minimum needed to get in/out of an ordinary car.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 26 November 2013 11:23:12 UTC, Scott M wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,

Nightjar wrote:

On 26/11/2013 09:22, Tim+ wrote:

Nightjar wrote:

On 26/11/2013 07:14, harryagain wrote:

So what does the panel think about this one?

http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

Gull wing doors are much better when it is raining.

But hopeless in just about every other situation.

They look pretty though

Useless for parking next to another car or wall, etc.

I remember a video of some model or other with gullwing doors

specifically showing that they /could/ be opened in quite a minimal gap,

comparable to the minimum needed to get in/out of an ordinary car.

--

Scott

They look drop dead sexy, but what happens when the whole side of the car drops open and the munchkins in the back decide to unbuckle and jump out? Also, surely it makes for less security when the nearby scrote suddenly has full access to whatever is on the back seats?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:19:24 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Gull wing doors are much better when it is raining.

But hopeless in just about every other situation.

They look pretty though

Useless for parking next to another car or wall, etc.

Are they really that much worse than normal hinged doors?

Yes - unless shaped like a worm. ;-)

--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 26/11/2013 09:22, Tim+ wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 26/11/2013 07:14, harryagain wrote:
So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

Gull wing doors are much better when it is raining.

But hopeless in just about every other situation.

They look pretty though

Useless for parking next to another car or wall, etc.

I still wouldn't mind owning a Mercedes SL300 gullwing, despite my
diesel estate car having a higher top speed, better acceleration,
greater economy, vastly superior road holding, much more comfort and an
engine that doesn't need an oil change every 200 yards.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Useless for parking next to another car or wall, etc.

I still wouldn't mind owning a Mercedes SL300 gullwing, despite my
diesel estate car having a higher top speed, better acceleration,
greater economy, vastly superior road holding, much more comfort and an
engine that doesn't need an oil change every 200 yards.

Oh indeed - a real classic design. But although the doors were a good idea
where they could be opened easily, you then had to negotiate a massive
sill. I've sat in one many years ago.

All of which easily forgiven when driving one, I'd guess.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Useless for parking next to another car or wall, etc.

I still wouldn't mind owning a Mercedes SL300 gullwing, despite my
diesel estate car having a higher top speed, better acceleration,
greater economy, vastly superior road holding, much more comfort and an
engine that doesn't need an oil change every 200 yards.

Oh indeed - a real classic design. But although the doors were a good idea
where they could be opened easily, you then had to negotiate a massive
sill.

That was where they hid the space frame chassis and was why it needed
gullwing doors.

I've sat in one many years ago.

When I was last in Stuttgart, Mercedes were offering a factory
reconditioned one - at EUR 500,000. I didn't get to sit in it.

All of which easily forgiven when driving one, I'd guess.

Possibly not from what I've read of the handling, but they do look cool.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Useless for parking next to another car or wall, etc.

I still wouldn't mind owning a Mercedes SL300 gullwing, despite my
diesel estate car having a higher top speed, better acceleration,
greater economy, vastly superior road holding, much more comfort and an
engine that doesn't need an oil change every 200 yards.

Oh indeed - a real classic design. But although the doors were a good idea
where they could be opened easily, you then had to negotiate a massive
sill. I've sat in one many years ago.

All of which easily forgiven when driving one, I'd guess.

You mean being seen driving one?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harryagain wrote:
All of which easily forgiven when driving one, I'd guess.

You mean being seen driving one?

Suppose with your electric vehicle you've forgotten the pleasure of
driving.

--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 26/11/2013 09:22, Tim+ wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 26/11/2013 07:14, harryagain wrote:
So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

Gull wing doors are much better when it is raining.

But hopeless in just about every other situation.

They look pretty though

Useless for parking next to another car or wall, etc.

Not if they're done right. The DeLorean ones famously opened without
going outside the cars footprint for example. About the only thing they
did right on the car...

Hatchbacks need less room than estates for the same reason.

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Stamp :
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 26/11/2013 09:22, Tim+ wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
On 26/11/2013 07:14, harryagain wrote:
So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

Gull wing doors are much better when it is raining.

But hopeless in just about every other situation.

They look pretty though

Useless for parking next to another car or wall, etc.

Not if they're done right. The DeLorean ones famously opened without
going outside the cars footprint for example. About the only thing they
did right on the car...

Hatchbacks need less room than estates for the same reason.

And IME coupes are a right pain. The door's so long that if space is
tight the opening is both narrow and behind you.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2013 8:14 p.m., harryagain wrote:
So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

Too bad if there is an electrical malfunction.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2013 9:12 p.m., Nightjar wrote:
On 26/11/2013 07:14, harryagain wrote:
So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

Gull wing doors are much better when it is raining.

That design will never get off the ground.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2013 8:03 a.m., Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
harryagain wrote:
All of which easily forgiven when driving one, I'd guess.

You mean being seen driving one?

Suppose with your electric vehicle you've forgotten the pleasure of
driving.

No car matches the pleasure of riding a motorbike, and it doesn't have
to be an expensive one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 26 November 2013 07:52:19 UTC, GB wrote:
On 26/11/2013 07:14, harryagain wrote:

So what does the panel think about this one?
http://www.flixxy.com/high-tech-car-door.htm

It's a new idea to me, but the copyright notice says 2007. There's an
obvious conclusion to be drawn.

What?

The advert seemed heavily shopped. I couldn't fathom whether it was a rotating unit or an accordion. How much door panel goes under the car and where does it get the space to rotate?

And what protects the panel from road debris?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gib Bogle wrote:
No car matches the pleasure of riding a motorbike, and it doesn't have
to be an expensive one.

Riding a bike lost much of its pleasure when helmets became compulsory.

--
*Happiness is seeing your mother-in-law on a milk carton

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2013 11:13 p.m., Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Gib Bogle wrote:
No car matches the pleasure of riding a motorbike, and it doesn't have
to be an expensive one.

Riding a bike lost much of its pleasure when helmets became compulsory.

It's a toss-up. For example, I hate getting smacked in the face by a
bee doing 140 kph.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:19:24 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Gull wing doors are much better when it is raining.

But hopeless in just about every other situation.

They look pretty though

Useless for parking next to another car or wall, etc.

A car with roll-shutter doors; now that would be a fine thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:
No car matches the pleasure of riding a motorbike, and it doesn't have
to be an expensive one.

Riding a bike lost much of its pleasure when helmets became compulsory.

It's a toss-up. For example, I hate getting smacked in the face by a
bee doing 140 kph.

Jesus, I didn't know bees could go that fast!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:
No car matches the pleasure of riding a motorbike, and it doesn't have
to be an expensive one.

Riding a bike lost much of its pleasure when helmets became compulsory.

It's a toss-up. For example, I hate getting smacked in the face by a
bee doing 140 kph.

Jesus, I didn't know bees could go that fast!

Never loaded one into an air rifle?

SteveW

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
All of which easily forgiven when driving one, I'd guess.

You mean being seen driving one?

Suppose with your electric vehicle you've forgotten the pleasure of
driving.

Elecric vehicles are a whole new driving experience.
You realise what **** objects ICE engines are.

You have to be pretty thick to get pleasure from driving these days with the
traffic.
I have driven across the Andes and in the Sahara desert.

Only teenagers get pleasure from driving.
I soon found it boring.

Built a fast car.
Got bored.

Took up flying.
Got bored.

Cars just get you from a to B.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:
All of which easily forgiven when driving one, I'd guess.

You mean being seen driving one?

Suppose with your electric vehicle you've forgotten the pleasure of
driving.

No car matches the pleasure of riding a motorbike, and it doesn't have to
be an expensive one.

I had bikes.
A passing phase for teeneagers.
And born-again-bikers.
(Who just look ridiculous.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 08:00:26 +0000, harryagain wrote:

You have to be pretty thick to get pleasure from driving these days with
the traffic.

What traffic? There's none around here.

Only teenagers get pleasure from driving.
I soon found it boring.

No wonder, given the dullmobile that you drive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 08:00:26 -0000, "harryagain"
wrote:

Cars just get you from a to B.

Are you some relation of Dracula?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 19:22:16 +0000, Colin Stamp
wrote:

Not if they're done right. The DeLorean ones famously opened without
going outside the cars footprint for example. About the only thing they
did right on the car...

Cobblers. Plenty right about that car.