Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Restoring drop-leaf table

I've got a solid wood drop-leaf table which has been shamefully
mistreated for the last 20 years. It's mostly a dark brown colour, but
in heavily used areas the colouration has been stripped away.

Any suggestions on how to make it look nice again? I'm not particularly
fond of the dark colour, so I don't mind ending up with a different
coloured table.

Finally, any ideas when and where this table would have come from? I'm
guessing 1950s, but I really have no clue.

http://i40.tinypic.com/11b7ng0.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2sadqf9.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 13:22:49 +0000, LumpHammer
wrote:

I've got a solid wood drop-leaf table which has been shamefully
mistreated for the last 20 years. It's mostly a dark brown colour, but
in heavily used areas the colouration has been stripped away.

Any suggestions on how to make it look nice again? I'm not particularly
fond of the dark colour, so I don't mind ending up with a different
coloured table.

Finally, any ideas when and where this table would have come from? I'm
guessing 1950s, but I really have no clue.

http://i40.tinypic.com/11b7ng0.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2sadqf9.jpg

I have been meaning to make the same post! Mind if I tag along for the
ride?

Here's my table.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/1...1124/lightbox/

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/13 13:22, LumpHammer wrote:
I've got a solid wood drop-leaf table which has been shamefully
mistreated for the last 20 years. It's mostly a dark brown colour, but
in heavily used areas the colouration has been stripped away.

Any suggestions on how to make it look nice again? I'm not particularly
fond of the dark colour, so I don't mind ending up with a different
coloured table.

Finally, any ideas when and where this table would have come from? I'm
guessing 1950s, but I really have no clue.

http://i40.tinypic.com/11b7ng0.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2sadqf9.jpg

sand and French polish.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've got a solid wood drop-leaf table which has been shamefully
mistreated for the last 20 years. It's mostly a dark brown colour, but
in heavily used areas the colouration has been stripped away.

Any suggestions on how to make it look nice again? I'm not particularly
fond of the dark colour, so I don't mind ending up with a different
coloured table.

Finally, any ideas when and where this table would have come from? I'm
guessing 1950s, but I really have no clue.

http://i40.tinypic.com/11b7ng0.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2sadqf9.jpg

I have been meaning to make the same post! Mind if I tag along for the
ride?

Here's my table.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/1...1124/lightbox/

dont sand and try the following trick.

Pour some alcohol - surgical or methylated onto a rag and wipe the table
over with it., The more alcohol the better.,

If that restores it, its French polish and you can rejuvenate either
with straight alcohol, French polish or alcohol and beeswax.

If not its strip and revarnish time...

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 13:22:49 +0000, LumpHammer wrote:

Finally, any ideas when and where this table would have come from? I'm
guessing 1950s, but I really have no clue.

http://i40.tinypic.com/11b7ng0.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2sadqf9.jpg

Bit hard to tell from basicaly just the top. Need to see more of the
legs, to me it doesn't look right for the 50's, too dark and heavy.
Turned legs too fancy for the war years and just after, so that sort
of pushes it pre-war. 1930's?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2013 13:22, LumpHammer wrote:
I've got a solid wood drop-leaf table which has been shamefully
mistreated for the last 20 years. It's mostly a dark brown colour, but
in heavily used areas the colouration has been stripped away.

Any suggestions on how to make it look nice again? I'm not particularly
fond of the dark colour, so I don't mind ending up with a different
coloured table.

Finally, any ideas when and where this table would have come from? I'm
guessing 1950s, but I really have no clue.

http://i40.tinypic.com/11b7ng0.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2sadqf9.jpg

That looks like a damned fine table to me, probably Victorian, and maybe
mahogany if you're lucky. It has a completely different look to the
typical 1930s oak versions with the barley twist legs. My hunch is that
it was originally finished with some kind of spirit varnish which,
luckily for you, is infinitely soluble in meths. Do as TNP suggests and
let us know the result. You are one lucky so and so IMHO :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/13 13:22, LumpHammer wrote:
I've got a solid wood drop-leaf table which has been shamefully
mistreated for the last 20 years. It's mostly a dark brown colour, but
in heavily used areas the colouration has been stripped away.

Any suggestions on how to make it look nice again? I'm not particularly
fond of the dark colour, so I don't mind ending up with a different
coloured table.

Finally, any ideas when and where this table would have come from? I'm
guessing 1950s, but I really have no clue.

http://i40.tinypic.com/11b7ng0.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2sadqf9.jpg

sand and French polish.

Not before you've done the test to see whether the finish is alcohol
based! Sanding is a last resort and will almost certainly ruin what
looks like a very nice table

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 18:01:55 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

My hunch is that it was originally finished with some kind of spirit
varnish which, luckily for you, is infinitely soluble in meths.

Would the blue dye be an issue with ordinary over the counter meths?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/13 18:08, stuart noble wrote:
On 17/11/13 13:22, LumpHammer wrote:
I've got a solid wood drop-leaf table which has been shamefully
mistreated for the last 20 years. It's mostly a dark brown colour, but
in heavily used areas the colouration has been stripped away.

Any suggestions on how to make it look nice again? I'm not particularly
fond of the dark colour, so I don't mind ending up with a different
coloured table.

Finally, any ideas when and where this table would have come from? I'm
guessing 1950s, but I really have no clue.

http://i40.tinypic.com/11b7ng0.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2sadqf9.jpg

sand and French polish.

Not before you've done the test to see whether the finish is alcohol
based! Sanding is a last resort and will almost certainly ruin what
looks like a very nice table

I don't think there is enough left there..better to go down to fresh
wood and start again IMHO.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/13 19:32, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 18:01:55 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

My hunch is that it was originally finished with some kind of spirit
varnish which, luckily for you, is infinitely soluble in meths.

Would the blue dye be an issue with ordinary over the counter meths?

purple. Its aniline IIRC.

Of it bothers you. use vodka :-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

LumpHammer wrote:
I've got a solid wood drop-leaf table which has been shamefully
mistreated for the last 20 years. It's mostly a dark brown colour, but
in heavily used areas the colouration has been stripped away.

Any suggestions on how to make it look nice again? I'm not
particularly fond of the dark colour, so I don't mind ending up with
a different coloured table.

Finally, any ideas when and where this table would have come from? I'm
guessing 1950s, but I really have no clue.

http://i40.tinypic.com/11b7ng0.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2sadqf9.jpg

The Table:

(Heaton/Rotheray)
This table has four sturdy legs
And a heart of very near wild oak
When others would have screamed out loud my friend
This one never even spoke

I've been sat upon, I've been spat upon
I've been treated like a bed
Been carried like a stretcher,
when someone thinks they're dead
I've been dined upon, I've been wined upon
I've been taken for a fool
Taken for a desk,
when they should have been at school

This table's been pushed against the door
When tempers, well tempers flare at night
Banged upon with knuckles clenched my friend
When someone thinks that they are right

I've been sat upon, I've been spat upon
I've been treated like a bed
Been carried like a stretcher,
when someone thinks they're dead
I've been dined upon, I've been wined upon
I've been taken for a fool
Taken for a desk,
when they should have been at school

Tables only turn when tables learn
Put me on a bonfire, watch me burn
Treat me with some dignity, don't treat me like a slave
Or I'll turn into the coffin in your grave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUf8zptKq9k

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
On 17/11/13 13:22, LumpHammer wrote:
I've got a solid wood drop-leaf table which has been shamefully
mistreated for the last 20 years. It's mostly a dark brown colour,
but in heavily used areas the colouration has been stripped away.

Any suggestions on how to make it look nice again? I'm not
particularly fond of the dark colour, so I don't mind ending up
with a different coloured table.

Finally, any ideas when and where this table would have come from?
I'm guessing 1950s, but I really have no clue.

http://i40.tinypic.com/11b7ng0.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2sadqf9.jpg

sand and French polish.

Not before you've done the test to see whether the finish is alcohol
based! Sanding is a last resort and will almost certainly ruin what
looks like a very nice table

Am I the only one who doesn't find dropleaf tables attractive or terribly
useful? I'd send it off to the nearest auction.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/11/2013 08:16, Tim+ wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
[...]

They're certainly useful when you only need a full table now and then.
Attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder, but I like this particular
one because the dark colour is obviously contained in the varnish,
what's left of which looks like it would be easy to remove. So many of
these tables were stained so that stripping will not get you back to the
original wood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/2013 13:22, LumpHammer wrote:
I've got a solid wood drop-leaf table which has been shamefully
mistreated for the last 20 years. It's mostly a dark brown colour, but
in heavily used areas the colouration has been stripped away.

Any suggestions on how to make it look nice again? I'm not particularly
fond of the dark colour, so I don't mind ending up with a different
coloured table.

Finally, any ideas when and where this table would have come from? I'm
guessing 1950s, but I really have no clue.

http://i40.tinypic.com/11b7ng0.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2sadqf9.jpg

I have one in a similar state, sat awaiting some TLC.

Once its got to the state of the one shown, it seems to me that
"touching up" the French polish (if that is what it is) is not going to
be easy without first stripping what is there. Once its got all loose
and flakey a cabinet scraper will take off the rest quite cleanly.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/11/2013 13:05, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Yes, the more you can remove with a sharp edge, the better. Anything
that makes the finish soluble will inevitably drive some of the colour
into the grain. At this point I normally flood the surface with meths so
that at least the colour is uniform