Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How Convert dining table to Drop Leaf???

My tiny 650 square foot cabin needs a small dining table. I think
that a round drop leaf table (with the leaf dropped and pushed up
against the wall) would be perfect but I've been unable to find one.
I'm toying with the idea of buying a (used) round 42" diameter
pedestal oak table that has a leaf and converting it to a drop leaf
table. Would this be difficult for someone with only a smattering of
woodworking ability to do??? Where could I purchase the dropleaf
hardware??

Thanks! Be nice to have a real table to eat at and be able to have
company for dinner!

Sandy
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

sandy wrote:
My tiny 650 square foot cabin needs a small dining table. I think
that a round drop leaf table (with the leaf dropped and pushed up
against the wall) would be perfect but I've been unable to find one.
I'm toying with the idea of buying a (used) round 42" diameter
pedestal oak table that has a leaf and converting it to a drop leaf
table. Would this be difficult for someone with only a smattering of
woodworking ability to do??? Where could I purchase the dropleaf
hardware??

First, what do you have to work with? If you have a router, the
dropleaf cutter sets are available from several vendors. It basically
is cut a straight edge and shape the two matching joints. You will have
to also add the support--how depends at least in part on the
construction of the table you start with. Probably the easiest is to
cut out a notch in the rail and add a swiveling support made from the
removed piece--I believe it was not very long ago there was a Fine
Woodworking article (couple of years or so???) that one of their editors
did on his technique.

Hinges are also available mail order from several places -- Woodworkers
Supply is one I recall. Never remember the exact name, but there's a
woodworkers hardware supply in MN that a google search will find that
has everything you could ever dream of (and more) in hardware...I use
them quite a lot but have to look them up every time...