Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stoves: firebricks: who knew?!

We got our first wood stove two years ago (exactly).

Noticing that the firebrick liners look a bit worn, I bought a sheet of
firebrick material[1] and cut a spare set today, using the current set
as templates.

I never realised that this stuff is so fragile! The only firebricks I'm
familiar with were hefty things in the back of fireplaces: this stuff is
completely different material.

I've put the current set back in the stove now, but two of them have
cracks (not created by me moving them in and out). They're all also
very knocked about simply from the process of chucking logs in the
stove. Is this kind of life-time normal for stove liners?

Cheers
John

[1] I had the chimney swept last week: the sweep told me that I could
buy a sheet of firebrick material from the local stove shop, and also
that I'd be able to get the local blacksmiths to replicate the baffle
plate, when that becomes necessary.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 19:49:53 +0000, Another John wrote:

We got our first wood stove two years ago (exactly). I've put the
current set back in the stove now, but two of them have cracks (not
created by me moving them in and out). They're all also very knocked
about simply from the process of chucking logs in the stove. Is this
kind of life-time normal for stove liners?

Probably is if you throw logs in rather than putting them in...

The proper fire brick liners in our similar age stove are in good
condition. One has a corner cracked off but thats down below the
grate rather than in the actual fire box so not particulary bothered
about it. Broke when getting the things out as they are a damn tight
fit, especially when they have two grains of ash behind 'em. B-(

Proper fire bricks are quite brittle so break easily but are quite
hard so should take the occasional knock from a log, tongs or poker
without damage.

Sheet fire brick material seems a bit of contradiction in terms to
me. The only sheet fire stuff I can think of is relatively soft. Like
the "asbestos" mats you have in chemistry labs at school.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2013 21:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Sheet fire brick material seems a bit of contradiction in terms to
me. The only sheet fire stuff I can think of is relatively soft. Like
the "asbestos" mats you have in chemistry labs at school.

I bought some vermiculite sheet a couple of years ago and made a
complete set of firebricks. As you suggest I don't sling the logs onto
the fire and everything is fine. The insulating properties of the
vermiculite make the fire burn well too.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to gmx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Another Dave wrote:

On 12/11/2013 21:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Sheet fire brick material seems a bit of contradiction in terms to
me. The only sheet fire stuff I can think of is relatively soft. Like
the "asbestos" mats you have in chemistry labs at school.

I bought some vermiculite sheet a couple of years ago and made a
complete set of firebricks. As you suggest I don't sling the logs onto
the fire and everything is fine. The insulating properties of the
vermiculite make the fire burn well too.

You're both right: I shouldn't be using the term "fire brick", because
although these look like bricks, they are really liners. (Though I see
that Esse call them bricks, looking at their spares site.) The stove is
an Esse 301 SE btw.

And Yes AD, I think the material must be vermiculite. You cut it with a
saw (and finish off the detail with sandpaper -- it's very soft!).

I was just surprised at how fragile this stuff is. I don't doubt that
the original "bricks" will last for another year or two, even if
cracked, since their role is not structural in any way.

And Dave Liq:

Probably is if you throw logs in rather than putting them in...

I'm not a chucker by nature, and this is a tiny stove so you can't
really chuck stuff without danger of missing :-D However the heat of
the thing prevents a gentle, refined placement, and encourages a swift
"toss" [/this is getting a bit uncomfortable/] .... maybe I should dig
out the massive fireproof glove we got, so that we can go for the
refined placement. Another bit of paraphernalia!

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 13 November 2013 09:16 Another John wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article ,
Another Dave wrote:

[...]

Weird - my stove's firebricks are pretty heavy - and also slightly fragile
once cooked in.

I had to change one last year... Definately not vermiculite.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:

I never realised that this stuff is so fragile! The only firebricks I'm
familiar with were hefty things in the back of fireplaces: this stuff is
completely different material.

It's a refractory insulating material, not firebrick per se, more
designed to go behind the firebrick proper to keep the heat in.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2013 09:16, Another John wrote:
In article ,
Another Dave wrote:

On 12/11/2013 21:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Sheet fire brick material seems a bit of contradiction in terms to
me. The only sheet fire stuff I can think of is relatively soft. Like
the "asbestos" mats you have in chemistry labs at school.

I bought some vermiculite sheet a couple of years ago and made a
complete set of firebricks. As you suggest I don't sling the logs onto
the fire and everything is fine. The insulating properties of the
vermiculite make the fire burn well too.

You're both right: I shouldn't be using the term "fire brick", because
although these look like bricks, they are really liners. (Though I see
that Esse call them bricks, looking at their spares site.) The stove is
an Esse 301 SE btw.

And Yes AD, I think the material must be vermiculite. You cut it with a
saw (and finish off the detail with sandpaper -- it's very soft!).

Are you confusing pearlite and vermiculite?

Vermiculite is a mica derived substance.

Pearlite is a volcanic rock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

I think it is similar stuff to the tiles on the space shuttle.